Windows 7
I'm just wondering...

Is it better for pcsx2 to run in Windows 7? I'm only curious if that would improve the pcsx2 performance.

peace

Sponsored links

Against XP it works better since you have the option to use DX10 (as soon as you have hardware for it) and depending on your hardware it might be an improvement in CPU usage against Vista but might also not change a thing Tongue
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Get Win7 because it's an amazing OS, not just because it might help with PCSX2.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.
Windows 7 is much faster then XP and It's little faster than Vista(PCSX2 wise)
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz (Turbo 5.1 GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 (8 GB)
RAM: Corsair 32GB KIT DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Vengeance LPX
MOBO: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS
Yeah, I'm gonna get Windows 7 no matter what.

Do you think it'll improve laptop performance as well? pcsx2 wise?
Depends again if your PC supports directX 10. If it doesn't, then no you probably won't see much improvement and you may see slowdowns.

7 is not faster than XP in most day to day things since it uses much more resources that XP (though far fewer than Vista, about 1/2 as much of my ram is used by the time startup is done in 7 versus vista), so unless you only plan on using your laptop for PCSX2 and it supports DirectX 10 hardware you may be better off sticking with XP.

Also be aware that while you will see improvements with DirectX 10, it's not going to miraculously make you get a constant 60fps if you're only getting 20-40fps on average. You'll probably see an average boost of 5-10fps which is nice but not always game changing.
[Image: 2748844.png]
XP Vista and Win7 works on all of them just a word of advice for GSdx plugin don't use DX11 setting use DX10 else it crashes reporting KERNELBASE.dll.
FYI, in practice, Windows XP is still faster than Windows 7 in a lot of common, day to day tasks! That said, I'm posting this from Win 7 x64, so don't misunderstand... It runs a _lot_ better and faster and leaner than Vista, but not as fast and lean as XP -- and it never will, it's come too far from its XP roots to ever fit in that sized sandbox the same way ever again, and that's not a bad thing!

I run pcsx2 on Windows 7 and have had very few problems with it -- I played 30-40 hours of Final Fantasy XII on it, 10-20 hours of Xenosaga Episode I, 5 hours of Xenosaga Episode II, etc. I've got a relatively beefy system (i7 920 clocked to 3.33ghz, 6gb RAM), but Windows 7 itself runs very well on my 1.6ghz Atom based Dell mini-9.. Can't say the same for pcsx2 -- not that it's the fault of the pcsx2 developers Smile. I don't think pcsx2 will _ever_ run on a netbook, ever. And that's a-ok.
(08-28-2009, 03:06 AM)n1ckn4m3 Wrote: FYI, in practice, Windows XP is still faster than Windows 7 in a lot of common, day to day tasks! That said, I'm posting this from Win 7 x64, so don't misunderstand... It runs a _lot_ better and faster and leaner than Vista, but not as fast and lean as XP -- and it never will, it's come too far from its XP roots to ever fit in that sized sandbox the same way ever again, and that's not a bad thing!

Windows 7 was never supposed to replace XP on old machines, and anyone who thinks it was is just fooling themselves. It's meant for modern hardware, not a store-bought Emachines from 5 years ago. My desktop runs 7 better than XP in every respect and will become my OS of choice once it goes retail.

You may not be old enough to vividly remember the Win98 -> 2000 -> XP transition, but it was the exact same thing. People complained because they couldn't see how their precious Win98 could get better, and got all WHAARGHARBL'y because 2000/XP ran slow on their current computers.

Like it or not, manufacturers are moving towards Vista/7 and away from XP. I have trouble finding XP drivers for some of the stuff I buy, and it's only going to get harder.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
I remember the XP transition. It was horrible. I'd venture to say even as bad if not worse than Vista. Microsoft had a bad history of working on OS and releasing them before letting hardware developers know what was going on, and then forcing drivers to play catch up. The way they are handling Windows 7 is much better than all their other recent OS's.
www.twitch.tv/krazytrumpeter05
Want to stream your games? Let me know and I can help you get set up with Open Broadcaster Software.