Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 and xp in the same pc
i hace only 1 question,can i have windows xp in my c: drive and windows 7 in my external drive and to have them both working?or if i install windows 7 rc my xp will disappear?
$0®®¥ ƒ0® |\/|¥ 1337 3|\|9£1$|-|!

(sorry for my 1337 english!)

Sponsored links

you are better off having 2 partitions and install windows 7 on the second partition as it will overwrite your xp. So its essentially like what you're doing now but eliminating the external drive
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
(07-23-2009, 04:29 PM)refraction Wrote: you are better off having 2 partitions and install windows 7 on the second partition as it will overwrite your xp.
i am lucky because i have already partitioned my hdd,but ubuntu (the only 1 that i have tested) does not need second partition... maybe because it does not being installed into the WINDOWS folder or something,thanks.
$0®®¥ ƒ0® |\/|¥ 1337 3|\|9£1$|-|!

(sorry for my 1337 english!)
Any OS needs a second partition unless you are using it on a LiveCD which is possible I guess.
Linux creates its on partition of a different special format, which windows cannot read funny enough Tongue2
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
Ext4 ftw
ext3 is the usual default for it, and there ARE tools for windows (especially XP) that can read these partions now
i have win 98 and win xp on virtual pc 2007 all tho not everything works on them
If you install XP and 7 onto different partitions, you should be able to boot both once you've monkeyed around with the bootloader. By default, both XP and 7 remove the original bootloader and insert their own with a single entry to whatever partition you just installed it to.

Putting a Windows OS onto an external drive is slightly more difficult, and does weird things if you try to boot it on other systems.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
if you have xp on c,you can have win7 on d: for example...if you don't have enough partitions,use partition manager,or partition magic to create new partitions (omg that sounds so repetitive...Tongue2)

also,Win7 will remove the XP boot loader if Win7 was installed secondly (so you have XP first),and you can choose from win7 and xp...but if you have installed win7 firstly and then xp,you will only have left XP by default...