Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 7 nullifies my CPU overclock
I used to overclock my CPU while in Windows7 via the MSI Control Center software, which came with my MSI mobo. today I wanted to overclock cuz I had some x264 encoding to do but somehow my CPU is refusing to go beyond 3.3 GHz. the option in MSI program shows that the program did as I told it (it raised the multipliers to x40), but CPUZ tells me that my CPU is running at 3.3GHz... needless to say, the CPU BCLK is 100.000 KHz.

then, I restarted my PC, went to the bios, and overclocked from there. the bios did show and confirm the success of the overclock. however, once I'm in Windows, the CPU frequency is back to 3.3 GHz Wacko

needless to say, it's not CPUZ who's at fault, cuz I benchmarked my CPU with and without the overclock on PCSX2's bios screen (tested different versions of the PCSX2 as well), and the frames I got at 3.3GHZ and 4.0GHz bios overclock were identical (143-148 FPS)

then, I reinstalled my Chipset drivers in windows, as well as MSI's Control Center, but to no avail... I also checked my Power Options in the Control Panel, and did all that can be done in there but it didn't solve the problem.

finally, I'm thinking about removing and then resetting my CPU in the motherboard, but I'm too lazy to do that and I doubt it would make any difference... can anyone help me?
Intel Core i5 2500k 3.4 > 4.5 GHz 1.26v Biggrin
Thermaltake SpinQ VT
Nvidia GTX 560 (OC 950/1200), 1GB GDDR5, (MSI N560GTX).
Biostar TP67XE
8 GB Zepplin RAM, @1600. 11-11-11-30 Glare
FSP Saga II 500W
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Sponsored links

this is without doubt the most strange post I did read lately. You managed to provide a lot of "non" information and when gave some it is still more confuse...

Let's start with 10.000KHz CPU... man is that 10MHz... or 10KHz? if any of the two, to what it refers?
Assuming you got the FSB at 100MHz the multiplier (40x) makes sense to give 4.0GHz. All remaining information told me nothing I can use to try and diagnose a problem.

As you posted it, or the machine setup is at a total mess (try forcing the bios to recover default values to restart from it) or the post itself is the mess.

Edit: about the benchmark you could have hit the max GPU bandwidth and then the CPU speed will not help after that point.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(11-07-2012, 04:17 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Let's start with 10.000KHz CPU... man is that 10MHz... or 10KHz? if any of the two, to what it refers?

oh I missed a zero in there. stupid keyboard... anyways, I edited my post. that number is 100.000KHz, or 100MHz if you want, and it indicates the BCLK of course.

(11-07-2012, 04:17 AM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: Edit: about the benchmark you could have hit the max GPU bandwidth and then the CPU speed will not help after that point.

I used pcsx2 in software mode...

I had tried loading the default values in the bios then overclock again, but nothing changed. as for the extra info in my previous post, I provided them so people won't have to ask me to do them. thanks for replying though Smile
Thermaltake SpinQ VT
Biostar TP67XE
FSP Saga II 500W
I don't know much about nowadays Intel CPUs and their setup at the BIOS, is not the case the turbo feature and/or energy control were reactivated there?

Well, now that much of the confusion is gone and assuming from the reply you not only looked at the power options but showed actually understanding what's there... I can't see how the OC is not working other than those possible two factors above Smile
Imagination is where we are truly real
it's not about the cpu, the problem is with Windows7. the overclock is working just fine. the bios shows me my cpu temps and frequency (4ghz), both of which indicate that my overclock worked (and it had been for the past 5 months so there's no way I'm actually failing with my oc which would force the pc to restart). but once Windows starts, the overclock is gone and the cpu returns to its default multiplier ratio (x33)

anyways, I'll try booting from my MicroXP disk and overclock from there to make sure the problem is with my Windows7... anyone knows a good overclocking program that works in Windows XP?
Thermaltake SpinQ VT
Biostar TP67XE
FSP Saga II 500W
(11-07-2012, 05:28 AM)Apathy compleX Wrote: it's not about the cpu, the problem is with Windows7. the overclock is working just fine. the bios shows me my cpu temps and frequency (4ghz), both of which indicate that my overclock worked (and it had been for the past 5 months so there's no way I'm actually failing with my oc which would force the pc to restart). but once Windows starts, the overclock is gone and the cpu returns to its default multiplier ratio (x33)

anyways, I'll try booting from my MicroXP disk and overclock from there to make sure the problem is with my Windows7... anyone knows a good overclocking program that works in Windows XP?

That's... impossible. Windows cannot modify the BIOS settings. Are you sure it is not being downclocked due to inactivity?
Yeah, I'm sure. even when with pcsx2 in SW Mode and no frame limit + Dolphin Emulator both running, the cpu frequency is 33ghz...

I also set the "change cpu ration in OS" to "Disable" in the bios, and nothing worked... this is really weird...
Thermaltake SpinQ VT
Biostar TP67XE
FSP Saga II 500W
please go read carefully your cpu and motherboard hardware book

for your info

Overclocking cpu IS YOUR OWN RISK example shorten cpu life , hardware damage so on..... this already cover find it at your hardware book

Overclocking not cover by any warranty at all!!!

if problem persist i suggest you don't overclock because many time retry will damage your hardware!
(11-07-2012, 09:41 AM)knightt Wrote: please go read carefully your cpu and motherboard hardware book

for your info

Overclocking cpu IS YOUR OWN RISK example shorten cpu life , hardware damage so on..... this already cover find it at your hardware book

if problem persist i suggest you don't overclock because many time retry will damage your hardware!

thanks for the advice pal. but where I live we only recognize the "war" part of "warranty" - so if my hardware is damaged I'll just buy again, someday, and I'd rather my 2500k dies out like a boss than play it safe Laugh
Thermaltake SpinQ VT
Biostar TP67XE
FSP Saga II 500W
(11-07-2012, 10:51 AM)Apathy compleX Wrote: thanks for the advice pal. but where I live we only recognize the "war" part of "warranty" - so if my hardware is damaged I'll just buy again, someday, and I'd rather my 2500k dies out like a boss than play it safe Laugh

high five mate ! just a thing i would do

i once OCed my Clarkdale to 5 GHz ! Laugh

however are you sure you're reading the "right" clock not the model clock (CLICK TO ENLARGE )
*removed*
P.S how things are going there in Tartous i hope so far so good ....

it's like HELL in Damascus !

(11-07-2012, 09:41 AM)knightt Wrote: please go read carefully your cpu and motherboard hardware book

for your info

Evil oh yeah EVERYTHING FOR THE FREE 40% INCREASE IN PERFORMANCE !