Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 8 Pro: Is it worth it?
I found this deal at Microcenter where I can upgrade to Windows 8 Professional (1-user only) for only $38.88:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/40374...e_%28PC%29

My question is, is it worth upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on a home PC. I tried the release Preview and didn't like it because it seemed good for tablets and touch devices but not good for a PC (for schoolwork, and heavy gaming). It seemed like it was just dumbed down too much.

By the way, this deal is only good until Friday 10/26 so I need to decide within 24 hours.

Thank You
Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP micro ATX Intel motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570K processor @3.4 GHz
Patriot G2 Series 8 GB DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Sapphire Radeon HD7870XT 2GB GDDR5 RAM
Patriot Pyro SATA III 120 GB SSD
Corsair GS 600W PSU

Sponsored links

I vote for a no, there's nothing in Win8 that makes it worth spending even 10$ for it at the momment and I guess for atleast a solid year.
Agreed. Windows 8 does nothing special for desktop users.
Only get it if it's free. On the desktop Win8 is essentially Win7 with some extra annoyances.
Can't you decide for yourself? Do you have specific need that requires 8?
(10-24-2012, 04:38 AM)Qaddafi Wrote: I found this deal at Microcenter where I can upgrade to Windows 8 Professional (1-user only) for only $38.88:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/40374...e_%28PC%29

My question is, is it worth upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 on a home PC. I tried the release Preview and didn't like it because it seemed good for tablets and touch devices but not good for a PC (for schoolwork, and heavy gaming). It seemed like it was just dumbed down too much.

By the way, this deal is only good until Friday 10/26 so I need to decide within 24 hours.

Thank You

no don't do it....
if you install win8 on your computer many games and programs (like autocad 2012) won't start....
and you can't solve this in a compatibility setting....
Im gonna go with the majority here and say, stick with Windows 7 ;p
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

get windows 8

nah just stick with 7, until windows 8 support some kind of new direct x we can use i don't see a reason to downgrade to windows 8
------------------------
------------------------
trolling mode: ACTIVE!
Windows 8 is faster than 7 and I have an old computer. The difference is huge.

Install it, learn how to use it and then we can talk.
(10-24-2012, 05:58 PM)morcia4 Wrote: Windows 8 is faster than 7 and I have an old computer. The difference is huge.

Install it, learn how to use it and then we can talk.

almost no one here on this forum or even the world has a computer so slow it can run xp (wich is superior to 8)
------------------------
------------------------
trolling mode: ACTIVE!