Would a faster HDD mean a speedup?
Hey guys,

my question is already asked in the thread title: Since my old HDD is finally (^^) broken now, I'll get a new one. This one will most likely be a little faster. In fact, it'll be 7.200 rpm. I still have to check the speed of my old one, weren't able to do it now, since it is a (former) Buy-PC and I don't know the name of the HDD. But I also ask the question in general: Does a faster HDD cause a speedup?
Rejoice, they say. Color is back.

Sponsored links

No, not at all except if you were using something like a USB HDD before.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
7200 rpm HDDs are pretty much the standard for desktops, and anything over that is only worth buying if you want a super hardcore pc, because the amount of storage on them is very little for the price.

I wouldn't be surprised if yours has already been equipped with a 7200 rpm one anyway. Though you might wanna take a look at the cache of the HDD you'll buy, go with 32 MB and perpendicular recording, those are top end HDDs usually and they are cheap as butter
Yes it will.

point half second faster in loading speed I suppose ....
C2Q Q9550 - 3.9Ghz
8GB DDR1067
EVGA GTX260*2 (SLI)
WD Black 1TB*2 (RAID 0)
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Sorry for my poor English >"<
(01-27-2010, 02:40 AM)kirisame Wrote: Yes it will.
point half second faster in loading speed I suppose ....

That is just the variation of the fps counter.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
yeah. It does not matter for pcsx2.
I just want to give you this link. Thats where you could see the difference between the lastest HDDs (PC games loading time and OS booting time):
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/storage...b-review/9

i guess Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB is the winner now (among regular 7200 HDDs), i have Seagate 1TB 7200.12 which is not far behind.
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
(01-26-2010, 08:09 PM)Bositman Wrote: No, not at all except if you were using something like a USB HDD before.

OK, thanks, I thought so. But well, asking never hurts! Thanks guys!
Rejoice, they say. Color is back.