Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Xbox 360 Games ! !
Hey Guys ! Tongue

i wanna know why most of Xbox 360 games can be easily ported to PC ?
i found out that somehow this is true .. but why's this ? and how can this be possible ?? ... if so then how to do it ?? Huh

look at these titles :

batman arkham asylum
wolveriene
prince of persia all ported from xbox 360 to PC with the same controls :: " huh ?? "

other thing pissing me off and i wanna know why Glare .. why did sega stop porting games to PC lately ? Blink there's still people who dont want to buy a console for a little number of Sega games Angry

thnkss !! Biggrin

Sponsored links

Because all these games are scheduled to be ported on PC from their early development days. It's fairly easy for coders to make a game easily portable from a console to PC. It's possible only for the actual development team of course, you can't port a game without having the source code.
Keep in mind the Xbox and Xbox 360 are the consoles that are closed to the PC architecture than any other ( PS2,PS3,Wii etc)
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(12-16-2009, 03:39 PM)metalnumb Wrote: Hey Guys ! Tongue

i wanna know why most of Xbox 360 games can be easily ported to PC ?
i found out that somehow this is true .. but why's this ? and how can this be possible ?? ... if so then how to do it ?? Huh

look at these titles :

batman arkham asylum
wolveriene
prince of persia all ported from xbox 360 to PC with the same controls :: " huh ?? "

other thing pissing me off and i wanna know why Glare .. why did sega stop porting games to PC lately ? Blink there's still people who dont want to buy a console for a little number of Sega games Angry

thnkss !! Biggrin

Its all about making money. They must have some kind of statistic showing them what games they should make a pc version. Also, Sega has been shrunk, so they have less resource now meaning they are unlikely to take higher risk projects such as porting a console game to a pc game.
AMD Athlon II 245 @ 3.55ghz, 9600GT @730mhz 1115mhz, vista sp2 32bit
The general rule of thumb for PC games is "does it work well with mouse control?"

If a game is good (or better) with mouse than gamepad, then it makes a good PC port. Most platformers and all console RPGs (aka jRPGs or whatever) fail this test. All first person shooters, and most third person shooters pass this test. X-men Origins: Wolverine is a unique case since its one of the newer style cinematic-driven games, that's somewhat of a hodge podge between platformer and third person shooter in terms of control preference.

The second criteria is usually "historical relevance:"
Prince of Persia was originally a PC game, and for whatever reasons there's always been a strong following of the series among PC owners. So they continue to port them, even though modern PoPs have nothing in common with older ones. It's also a Ubisoft tite (see below).

Third criteria is if the game is developed by a studio that specializes in PC dev'ing. Example: EA Sports.
In spite of having little or no mouse-based control (and usually sucking with keyboard too, all but requiring a gamepad), EA Sports continues to publish their games to PC, seemingly religiously. I think this is mostly because EA has been, for a long time now, a PC-first dev studio and have done most of their development on PCs and then ported their games to consoles. And really it shows: most in-house EA developed titles have PC ports. (Ubisoft, Lucasarts, Edios, and Lionhead are other examples of studios that historically do their development on PCs and then port to console .. and if you check, most of them have historically favored mouse-based control systems as well).

And yea, the XBOX360 runs a stripped down Microsoft Windows kernel with DirectX/XNA as the primary APIs, and the XBOX360 itself is much more similar to a quad-core PC than Sony's PS3 (which is more similar to the PS2 in it's core design). So it makes porting to PC a lot easier.

Throw in a little random variation and that's your PC porting guide.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
because PC windows and XBox 360 are controlled by Microsoft. It somehow make easier for developer to make games for pc and xbox.

"Games for Windows is a brand owned by Microsoft and introduced in 2006 to coincide with the release of Windows Vista. The brand represents a standardized technical certification program and online service for Windows games, bringing a measure of regulation to the PC game market in much the same way that console manufacturers regulate their platforms. The branding program is open to both first-party and third-party publishers."

both batman and wolverine are in this programme.
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
(12-16-2009, 06:19 PM)Air Wrote: The general rule of thumb for PC games is "does it work well with mouse control?"

If a game is good (or better) with mouse than gamepad, then it makes a good PC port. Most platformers and all console RPGs (aka jRPGs or whatever) fail this test. All first person shooters, and most third person shooters pass this test. X-men Origins: Wolverine is a unique case since its one of the newer style cinematic-driven games, that's somewhat of a hodge podge between platformer and third person shooter in terms of control preference.

The second criteria is usually "historical relevance:"
Prince of Persia was originally a PC game, and for whatever reasons there's always been a strong following of the series among PC owners. So they continue to port them, even though modern PoPs have nothing in common with older ones. It's also a Ubisoft tite (see below).

Third criteria is if the game is developed by a studio that specializes in PC dev'ing. Example: EA Sports.
In spite of having little or no mouse-based control (and usually sucking with keyboard too, all but requiring a gamepad), EA Sports continues to publish their games to PC, seemingly religiously. I think this is mostly because EA has been, for a long time now, a PC-first dev studio and have done most of their development on PCs and then ported their games to consoles. And really it shows: most in-house EA developed titles have PC ports. (Ubisoft, Lucasarts, Edios, and Lionhead are other examples of studios that historically do their development on PCs and then port to console .. and if you check, most of them have historically favored mouse-based control systems as well).

And yea, the XBOX360 runs a stripped down Microsoft Windows kernel with DirectX/XNA as the primary APIs, and the XBOX360 itself is much more similar to a quad-core PC than Sony's PS3 (which is more similar to the PS2 in it's core design). So it makes porting to PC a lot easier.

Throw in a little random variation and that's your PC porting guide.

thanks a lot ! but my main question was how can i do it ? does the dvd of the game contains the source code anyways ? and how can i extract it and convert it into PC ?? is it even legal ??
... no, you can't do it. Only the developers have the source code to compile to different target platforms. The different ports may even have different audio/video resource compilations. It's fairly complicated stuff.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
thanks Air !