Xenosaga I - Can't run from disc.
I've searched for a few hours on google and didn't seem to find any information on how i might be able to resolve this.

Essentially, as the thread title says, I can't seem to run Xenosaga I off the disc. When trying to run it, the browser doesn't detect that a disc is inserted and trying to do a quick boot results in just a black screen. The log window shows TLB miss errors, if that's any use.

So, I went ahead and tried to rip the disc which was sort of successful.
During the rip, the program reported that there were 2 read retries. It did complete and I am able to boot and play from the image.

The disc itself isn't damaged but I'm worried that the read errors might pose a problem down the road while I'm playing the game from the rip.

I have a black label version of the game, and not the reloaded.

I just tried to boot up a few other games I have (FFX, FFXII, Stella Deus, and even disc 1 of Xenosaga II and III) and those seem to boot up fine.

To note, this isn't the "black screen" problem that many people have made threads about that has the radar visible.

I understand that someone may say something about "why play from disc iso is better", but that's not what I'm asking.

Code:
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLUS_204.69;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.0
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = NTSC
ELF (cdrom0:\SLUS_204.69;1) Game CRC = 0x6D1276AB, EntryPoint = 0x00200008
(SYSTEM.CNF) Detected PS2 Disc = cdrom0:\SLUS_204.69;1
(SYSTEM.CNF) Software version = 1.0
(SYSTEM.CNF) Disc region type = NTSC
(EE pc:80005564) TLB Miss, addr=0x0 [load]
(EE pc:80005568) TLB Miss, addr=0x0 [load]
(EE pc:80005590) TLB Miss, addr=0x0 [load]
(EE pc:00000008) TLB Miss, addr=0x70025d4b [store]
(EE pc:800002FC) TLB Miss, addr=0x7ff34c00 [load]
(EE pc:800002FC) TLB Miss, addr=0x60114d00 [load]
(EE pc:80000358) TLB Miss, addr=0x7fc14d00 [load]
(EE pc:800002FC) TLB Miss, addr=0x7f014d00 [load]
(EE pc:800002FC) TLB Miss, addr=0x40014d00 [load]

Sponsored links

Xenosaga I is a DVD9 game and poses a few other problems compared to normal DVD5 games, also not all optical disc drives have the same success reading them. If anything you could try making the ISO in another computer or another drive.

Also the recommended way to run the games is from an ISO and loaded with the internal ISO laoder in PCSX2 anyway.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
(05-26-2011, 05:09 AM)Shadow Lady Wrote: Xenosaga I is a DVD9 game and poses a few other problems compared to normal DVD5 games, also not all optical disc drives have the same success reading them. If anything you could try making the ISO in another computer or another drive.

Also the recommended way to run the games is from an ISO and loaded with the internal ISO laoder in PCSX2 anyway.

I understand about images being the recommended way to play games with an emulator -- I used to rip my PSX games and play that way. I was just trying to avoid using the 8GB it currently needs.

RE: different optical drives; ironically enough, I just purchased a new one and I am about to try ripping it again from this drive. i've been meaning to replace my "old" one (purchased back in 2008, no modded or official firmware since 2009) and this just gave me the excuse.

Here's something interesting:
Starting from a new instance of PCSXE2 0.9.8:
- [Disc] Xenosaga I - No boot, TLB miss errors, black screen.
- Shutdown (File > Shutdown)
- [Disc] Xenosaga II - No issues booting.
- Shutdown
- [Disc] Xenosaga I - No issues booting.

Although, while it _does_ boot, I then encounter the Black Screen Radar bug that many people have talked about when trying to start a new game. Loading a game from a memory card (or savestate) allows me to continue, though.

Just found that interesting. I'll be attempting to rip the game without errors and just play from an ISO.

Anyway -- thanks for the reply.
I had the same problem.
It worked once I ripped it to a .iso using imgburn, which is free.