Xenosaga I - Tips to users / Questions to devs
Ugh that's too damn complicated for me, such a hassle...I think I will just stutter through that stupid boss fight and maybe Gabest will release a new GSDX that fixes the huge overload because of AGWS...from what I read it sounds like a bug?
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Enermax Triathlor 450W PSU

Sponsored links

@SamSoNight
Yes, it's a pain when you have to try it out to discover. but for me it's a "mission acomplished". Tongue I moved along.

@rama and anyone interested in watching the dream scenes and maybe to trying solve the GSDX bug in the future

I just want to say to Rama that I did upload the memory card with the save AND I managed to reproduce the solution so other people can see the dream scenes.

Tutorial on how to watch shion dreaming ( LOL at lame tutorial, but it works ):

1-Open PCSX2 (Oh R'ly?) and Load Xenosaga
2-load the memory card save before the dream scenes. In that case, the one from my game is just 3 cutscenes far from one of those (I missed the first one) , just talk with the captain and leave the dock. Mine is attached below.
3-When the dream scene is about to start (the girl is calling shion's name), and I mean the part when the screen goes black, do a save state before it goes black. It doesn't have to be with surgical precision. In that case, just save state when the girl is calling shion.
4-hit ESC and close PCSX2. Don't try to load the save state without closing PCSX2 'cos it's no gonna work.
5-open pcsx2 again, load the game and then load the save you did right before the dream scene.
6-Watch the damn thing Yey /o/

Attached Files
.rar   Mcd002.rar (Size: 29,22 KB / Downloads: 202)

Sorry for my bad english.
Okay, the video not showing is pretty much what I assumed it was (texture cache messup).
This is the stuff that's scheduled for a rewrite.

The slowness problem is NOT a bug. As I said before, the game makes GSdx do a lot of DirectX draw calls.
The number is so high that it starts heavily taxing your CPU (not GPU!).
Glad to hear about the scheduled rewriting of the texture cache management code.

And about the slowness... If I did understand correctly, no matter how optimized the code is, and because of the way and nature Directx API was made for and the way it is used in the pcsx2 code, its the proper DirectX that limitates what PCSX2 can do in this particular case (not gonna talk about other games), requiring a very powerfull CPU to compensate the refered limit. Correct me If I'm wrong. Interesting thing to note was the huge boost we had in pcsx2 when migrating from DX9 to DX10.

Otherwise, no need for replies. If that's it, then I'm satisfied with the answer.

Thanks rama. Good luck with the rewriting work. o/

Yep, you got it Tongue2
But there's one detail yet:
In those limiting scenes I think dx9 is actually faster these days than dx10.
So for speed it may make sense to use dx9 there. I also think dx9 had some
typical z issues though, but not sure.. Tongue2
Oh, to be really honest, getting back to DX9 in this particular case never EVER crossed through my mind and it would be, if you haven't mentioned, the most remote thing I would try to do. It brings me bad bad memories (7fps ghost LOL) Tongue Anyway, doesn't hurt to try hehe. Thanks for the tips. Wink
Gonna get some sleep now. Gonna test tomorrow properly. Thanks again. /o/

(07-13-2010, 11:55 PM)rama Wrote: The slowness problem is NOT a bug. As I said before, the game makes GSdx do a lot of DirectX draw calls.
The number is so high that it starts heavily taxing your CPU (not GPU!).

How is it then, that Software mode is quicker, if there is a scene with many AGWS? If those scenes overload your CPU, then software mode should be much worse, because everything is now done by the CPU.

And I don't know much about this stuff, but might OpenGL or another GFX API fix the problem?
Intel i5 3450
AsRock B75-Pro3-M
Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC
8GB DDR3-1333 RAM
Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB
Seagate 7200.14 1TB x2
Enermax Triathlor 450W PSU
Software rendering does the graphics it's own way, with it's own limitations.
It simply isn't as much of a bottleneck as the DirectX abuse hardware rendering does.

Using another 3D api would not fix the underlying issue. Only some clever new way of
managing all those objects more efficiently can help.
I have a problem with Xenosaga I im r3113 .9.7 beta. after pressing start new game I get a black screen displaying only the mini map radar. specs are Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit, EVGA NVidia Geforce 8800GT 512 mb, 2 GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 1066 ram, intel core 2 duo E6750 @2.66 GHz. trying to run in native and without speed hacks also produce same result.
Try making an ISO of your game then running it with Linuz ISO cdvd plugin. Select linuz ISO cdvd from "Config > Plugin/BIOS selector" then make sure to set PCSX2 to run from plugin (select plugin from the CDVD menu).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64