Xenosaga III unplayably choppy. Any advice?
I have done troubleshooting for the game, but it doesnt seem to help. I have skipdraw set to 4 and offset hack ticked, but while that helped with the opening FMV, it still is rather choppy during gameplay, and will even have to pause for a couple of seconds at a time regularly when going through menus in battle or encountering an enemy on the field.

Native resolution doesnt seem to help at all.

I just tested FFX and I can run it at x2 native resolution without any slowdown or issues of any kind as far as I can tell.

Any ideas?

Sponsored links

First idea - althrough you didn't post your system specs - your cpu/gpu is too slow, upgrade it. Xenosaga III is way above FFX in requirements for both CPU and GPU.
(10-18-2011, 01:58 AM)miseru99 Wrote: First idea - althrough you didn't post your system specs - your cpu/gpu is too slow, upgrade it. Xenosaga III is way above FFX in requirements for both CPU and GPU.

I didnt realize that they were that far apart. Still, I dont see why that would lead to problems at native resolution.

I am running bootcamp on a high end mac pro. The video card sucks because I use the computer for audio and wont spend money on a video card:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 512MB GDDR3 memory

CPU is plenty fast. x2 quad processors @ 2.93GHz

But just for the record, I tried software mode (DSL) and it runs flawlessly with the exception that the graphics looks bad. Any way to find a compromise? It kind of defeats the purpose of not playing it on my PS2 if it doesnt improve the graphics.
actually, it can improve the graphics provided you have a decent gpu.
moreover, your CPU isn't that powerful for pcsx2 unless you overclock it to 3.5 ghz.
Better try latest SVN with mtvu hack since you have more than 2 cores.
it can give you a speedboost : http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
The Xenosage series are that hard to emulate at full speed. There are games that are much, much more demanding than it Wink
(10-18-2011, 02:24 AM)jesalvein Wrote: actually, it can improve the graphics provided you have a decent gpu.
moreover, your CPU isn't that powerful for pcsx2 unless you overclock it to 3.5 ghz.
Better try latest SVN with mtvu hack since you have more than 2 cores.
it can give you a speedboost : http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

You mean more than 2 processors? Will that help the graphical display at all? Because I'm not having any issues whatsoever with slowdown.
It runs much better at software? Yup it must be game of Xenosaga series and yup your GPU is too slow for it to run at hardware.

Software mode have more effects(which are often problematic in hardware mode), in that way it's often much better looking, pretty much always, but you cannot upscale it etc. and soo it looks as it looks, you cannot really change it.
That's too bad. It's just not worth it for me to upgrade my GPU from a financial standpoint right now. Thanks for the help everyone.

Out of curiosity, since this is currently the only reliable GPU upgrade option for me, how much of an improvement would an ATI Radeon HD 5770 be from what I currently have?
Pretty much a world of difference, I have hd5670 which is like 2x worser and have not much problems to play most games with x2-x3 upscale(FFX even at x4 or x5 at max to XSIII in x2 for comparism). Through Nvidia is probably a bit better at times if you aim at pcsx2. Nvidia gpu's have higher memory bandwidth or something else too, which some ps2 games like, through what hd5770 offers is already enough in most cases for full hd res:].
(10-18-2011, 03:28 AM)miseru99 Wrote: Pretty much a world of difference, I have hd5670 which is like 2x worser and have not much problems to play most games with x2-x3 upscale(FFX even at x4 or x5 at max to XSIII in x2 for comparism). Through Nvidia is probably a bit better at times if you aim at pcsx2. Nvidia gpu's have higher memory bandwidth or something else too, which some ps2 games like, through what hd5770 offers is already enough in most cases for full hd res:].

Well, that's good to know, I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll wait to see what happens to the price when the Sandy Bridge Mac Pros get released.