Xenosaga black screen at start
Hi again guys!

I'm trying to play Xenosaga now, and everything's fine, I'm all at default at emulator (latest beta and 0.9.6 tried with same results).

The game starts, NAMCO screen is ok, "new game" and "continue" screen are ok but as I hit "new game", the only thing that appears on the screen is the radar at top down. Then all is black. You hit triangle button and menĂº opens but that's all (game doesn't hang though).

There is no opening movie (straight to black screen with radar on right down corner), there is no music. But if you go into the menĂº, there's sound. If you pause, there's "Pause" text with sound. But nothing nothing else.

I tried with GSdx 887 and 890, with PEOPS and SPU2 sound plugins, with PCSX2 beta and 0.9.6, with native and 1280x800 resolution. With ZeroGS plugin too. All with same results... what am I doing wrong?
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7

Sponsored links

Seeing as this happened to me before, I think I know the problem, but I have to ask to be sure:

What program did you use to rip the ISO? And how large is the ISO?
For my specs, see my profile.

My YouTube channel
has this happened on older pcsx2 revs? (I don't know cause I've never played this game)
I'm not at my computer right now, but the .iso weights around 8GB (a bit less actually) and I don't remember wich software I used to make the iso. I have Windows 7 7068 and the only iso mounting program that works is Gizmo (magic iso doesn't work, daemon doesn't work, alcohol doesn't work neither) so perhaps I did it with Gizmo. Anyways, if you tell me what the problem is, or wich software I do need to use to make the .iso then I'll use that software! I beat the game long ago on my ps2 and really want to play again, I have seen videos playing even xenosaga 3 (wich I can't test since I don't have the game now).

Any help or tip will be greatly appreciated!
SAGER NP8690 | i7-620M 2.66Ghz | 6GB RAM | ATI 5870M 1GB GDDR5 | FullHD 1080p 15.6'' | 500GB HDD 7200RPM | WINDOWS 7
Well have you tried using the linuz ISO Cdvdrom to mount the game directly on PCSX2?
C2D E6420 @ 2.9ghz
2GB 667mhz ram
GF 9800 GT
Vista ultimate
If it was a proper rip, which I am assuming it is considering the size of the ISO, then using Linuzappz as your CDVD plugin shouldn't give you any problems.

Xenosaga uses a dual-layer disc, and this problem occurs when only one of the layers is being read. MagicISO and the like only rip one layer of the disc, so you can't make a proper rip with those. Also, I think one of the CDVD plugins has trouble reading both layers of the actual disc (key word "THINK")...

Anyway, the rip I made with DVD Decrypter works just fine for me. I'm not sure how Gizmo works seeing as how I've never used it (I always use DVD Decrypter), but I know that DVD Decrypter can make a proper rip.

EDIT: BTW, this isn't the first thread to feature this problem. A search for "xenosaga black screen" would have also led to this thread.
For my specs, see my profile.

My YouTube channel
The rip is fine. This is a problem with a couple of the CDVD plugins, namely Gabest's CDVD 0.1.0. The best plugin to use for CDVD for Xenosaga is Linuz ISO. It's because some of the plugins can't properly read dual layer DVDs.
///Intel Q6600 @ 3.4GHz OC'd ~Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HS/F~Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS 256 MB~Corsair 2x1GB 1066 DDR2RAM~Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit\\\
Thanks so much people!! I have solved the issue. I was using Gigaherz's plugin (always do) and tried with Linuz ISO and it works flawlessly. I didn't think my rig would support the game but it is awesomly playable, 60fps in battles, 45-60 in game and I can enjoy this wonderful game again! Thanks so much!
(04-11-2009, 05:09 PM)dotHack Wrote: Thanks so much people!! I have solved the issue. I was using Gigaherz's plugin (always do) and tried with Linuz ISO and it works flawlessly. I didn't think my rig would support the game but it is awesomly playable, 60fps in battles, 45-60 in game and I can enjoy this wonderful game again! Thanks so much!

what config did you use to make this possible?