Xenosaga black screen with radar (even from disc)
Hi folks,

there was a thread about this back in 2009, but the solutions presented haven't really borne any fruit. When I try (using 0.9.7.3876m) to boot the game from the original disc (using gigaherz), I can reach the main menu screen. However, choosing 'new game' leads to the black-screen-with-radar problem that seemed to be caused (in the other thread) by a bad ISO, perhaps a result of the disc being dual-layered and the ISO not being so. However, I'm having this problem running from the original disc itself...

I tried using DVD Decrypter to rip an ISO from the disc, which led to the same problem (black screen/radar). After applying the Toxic DLPatcher and attempting to run the ISO again, the game won't boot at all, but only show a black screen (although the program isn't frozen; the FPS bar at the top hovers around 60).

Attempting to boot the ISO from Linuz has failed every time I've tried; the application just freezes. Any suggestions?

Sponsored links

Umm... Tried ripping with Imgburn...?
Umm... that was the first program I tried. When I encountered the same problem with that one (which I've used without issue on other games from my physical collection), I tried DVD Decrypter as the thread from 2009 had a user who claimed to have had the same issue resolved with that software. Any other suggestions?
Not sure, bud. If you feel like taking a shot in the dark, try mounting it (i.e. with Daemon) and targeting it with gigaherz. It's normally not recommended, but I did have one game that liked when I did that...
(04-30-2011, 05:53 PM)Anxa Wrote: Hi folks,

there was a thread about this back in 2009, but the solutions presented haven't really borne any fruit. When I try (using 0.9.7.3876m) to boot the game from the original disc (using gigaherz), I can reach the main menu screen. However, choosing 'new game' leads to the black-screen-with-radar problem that seemed to be caused (in the other thread) by a bad ISO, perhaps a result of the disc being dual-layered and the ISO not being so. However, I'm having this problem running from the original disc itself...

I tried using DVD Decrypter to rip an ISO from the disc, which led to the same problem (black screen/radar). After applying the Toxic DLPatcher and attempting to run the ISO again, the game won't boot at all, but only show a black screen (although the program isn't frozen; the FPS bar at the top hovers around 60).

Attempting to boot the ISO from Linuz has failed every time I've tried; the application just freezes. Any suggestions?

the only reason the iso would not be full size is if you downloaded a dummycut rip or a moviecut rip.
Xenosaga is a double layer DVD, this is what need to be taken into account when ripping it. Not supposing it was downloaded without real reason to suppose so.

PS: Anyway, I don't know what is DLpatcher (corrected this information lack with a small search) but seems suspect being the cause for the issue, to me. It's enough ripping the complete image to ISO, once and for all.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Just make a fresh ISO from the game disc with ImgBurn. Don't mod/patch that ISO file, don't mount it anywhere, don't run it with any plugin, just launch it directly with the internal ISO loader/selector in the latest beta:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX2-off...ta-plugins

If the ISO still doesn't work it's probable your DVD drive has problems reading dual-layer PS2 discs and you'd probably want to try with another computer/drive to make the ISO, but as soon as the ISO is made correctly it shouldn't have any problem running directly with the PCSX2 ISO loader (at worst you'd have to wait a few minutes the first time you run it so PCSX2 reads the layer information but it should say it's doing that in the console log window).
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Quote:PS: Anyway, I don't know what is DLpatcher (corrected this information lack with a small search) but seems suspect being the cause for the issue, to me. It's enough ripping the complete image to ISO, once and for all.

The DLpatcher was only a solution I tried after the normal rip didn't work.

Quote:the only reason the iso would not be full size is if you downloaded a dummycut rip or a moviecut rip.

This is incorrect; I already stated I'm ripping from a physical copy.

Quote:Just make a fresh ISO from the game disc with ImgBurn. Don't mod/patch that ISO file, don't mount it anywhere, don't run it with any plugin, just launch it directly with the internal ISO loader/selector in the latest beta:

For some reason this worked perfectly; given the only variable that changed here was the (lack of) mounting the ISO, it seems that's what was causing the problem. Thanks a bunch Shadow Lady! I've always mounted my ISOs and read them like DVDs; I never knew it was common (and more desirable?) practice to use the built-in ISO loader.