Yet another Final Fantasy X issue
I'm having framerate issues with FFX much like other people.

The slowdown happens when the camera pans on the field and during attacks in battle.

I'm running a somewhat dated Dell laptop set at high performance:
*Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.0 GHz
*GPU: Intel GMA 4 series (Yeah, I know. I was p-ed when I found out I had this and was stuck with it.)
*4 GB RAM
*Running Vista

I don't think it's my system so much, as at peak slowdown, CPU usage peaks at 80%, but I could be wrong (that still seems a little high).

Now my issue is one of the fixes. Someone suggested a switch to D3D 10 Hardware would help. The only problem is that when I do this, the game blacks out and sometimes crashes. I also get a message that the igfx driver has stopped working and has recovered. So is this a issue with my system? Are there any tweaks I can try to make it work with D3D 10 Hardware? Or should I just live with the framerate?

Thanks.

Sponsored links

Grab the latest svn from here http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
Tick All recommended speed hacks ans set EE cycle stealing to 2. Set res to native in Gsdx
If you still have trouble then its time to upgrade your pc or play on your ps2
Msi GF-62VR
Intel  core i7 7700hq @2.8(3.5ghz turbo) Nvidia 6gig GTX1060 16 gigs DDr5   windows 10
*base 64 images don't work here - ref*
(07-27-2012, 11:50 PM)TEHark Wrote: I'm having framerate issues with FFX much like other people.

The slowdown happens when the camera pans on the field and during attacks in battle.

I'm running a somewhat dated Dell laptop set at high performance:
*Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo T6400 2.0 GHz
*GPU: Intel GMA 4 series (Yeah, I know. I was p-ed when I found out I had this and was stuck with it.)
*4 GB RAM
*Running Vista

I don't think it's my system so much, as at peak slowdown, CPU usage peaks at 80%, but I could be wrong (that still seems a little high).

Now my issue is one of the fixes. Someone suggested a switch to D3D 10 Hardware would help. The only problem is that when I do this, the game blacks out and sometimes crashes. I also get a message that the igfx driver has stopped working and has recovered. So is this a issue with my system? Are there any tweaks I can try to make it work with D3D 10 Hardware? Or should I just live with the framerate?

Thanks.

do Intel GMA 4 fully support DX 10 ???
(07-27-2012, 11:58 PM)omnikam Wrote: Grab the latest svn from here http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
Tick All recommended speed hacks ans set EE cycle stealing to 2. Set res to native in Gsdx
If you still have trouble then its time to upgrade your pc or play on your ps2

I got some improvement (after trying all that) when I switched to D3D 10 software. This is with all the speed hacks and stuff (though the software option grays out the native res). I'll try it out and see if I can live with it; it only drops to about 40 fps or so then.

I'm only even trying the emulator because my PS2 is being flaky again (FFX's speech wasn't loading, and the in-engine cutscenes would sometimes freeze).

(07-28-2012, 12:08 AM)abdo123 Wrote: do Intel GMA 4 fully support DX 10 ???

I've got DirectX 11 running on it. As for full support, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't fully support DX 10 (or 11). I've had it do igfx crashes before with other games (Neverwinter Nights 1 springs to mind). So I might just have to admit my GPU is a sorry excuse.

And thanks for the quick replies!
(07-28-2012, 12:23 AM)TEHark Wrote: I got some improvement (after trying all that) when I switched to D3D 10 software. This is with all the speed hacks and stuff (though the software option grays out the native res). I'll try it out and see if I can live with it; it only drops to about 40 fps or so then.

I'm only even trying the emulator because my PS2 is being flaky again (FFX's speech wasn't loading, and the in-engine cutscenes would sometimes freeze).

I've got DirectX 11 running on it. As for full support, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't fully support DX 10 (or 11). I've had it do igfx crashes before with other games (Neverwinter Nights 1 springs to mind). So I might just have to admit my GPU is a sorry excuse.

And thanks for the quick replies!

if you can't use the HW DX 10 use the HW DX 9 Software render is VERY slow
IIRC the Intel GMA that comes with Core 2 Duo T does not work if using DirectX 9 hardware mode. The driver crashes.
(07-28-2012, 01:31 AM)Livy Wrote: IIRC the Intel GMA that comes with Core 2 Duo T does not work if using DirectX 9 hardware mode. The driver crashes.

Oddly enough, it's DirectX 10 hardware that crashes for me. DX9 HW works, if slowly. In any case, I think I've got it working the best I can with D3D 10 software mode. It still doesn't like some of the game engine cutscenes, especially not the full summon animations (which I totally dig Sad ), but -eh-, it's playable, and that's what counts.

Thanks to the PCSX2 folks for enabling my nostalgia trip. Cool Good luck with the improvement process.
It could be due to flaky drivers on Intel's part, at least it sounds like it. Have you checked the site for any driver updates?
Custom Desktop
CPU: Haswell Core i7 4770 3.40 GHz (3.90 GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
CPU Instructions: MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1,
SSE4.2, EIST, iAMT2, Trusted Execution Technology (TXT)  
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM
HDD: 3 x 1 TB Western Digital HDD
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB GDDR5
Audio: Realtek 5.1 HD Audio
Intel GMA does not support DirectX 10, it is why it crashes. I wonder why it shows up on his GSDX option.

I ran PCSX2 on my friend's laptop long ago using PCSX2 0.9.6, DirectX 9 (hardware) crashed too. Windows reported that the driver crashed and was successfully recovered whenever I tried to use hardware mode. It was maybe due to her laptop driver.