Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Your 3 favorite hardware quantum tech leaps!
I love hardware. I love the history of technology, where we've been and where we're going. But sometimes, there are pieces of hardware that are SO FAR ahead of the curve that they are remembered down the track for much longer than most.

With this in mind, I will list what I feel are my 3 favorite hardware tech leaps, and welcome you all to post yours. I feel this could make for fascinating reading, hope you all feel the same. Try to post why you feel the way you do about your choices, the more detail the better!

1. Geforce 8 series, specifically Geforce 8800 gtx/ultra/gt

Not just another graphics card refresh. A massive leap for Nvidia, and the one card which I feel which has given me the most out of any I've owned. Sure, try to run a game like Metro 2033 on this card and it won't be too pretty, but the fact is, it's still capable of playing most games today at decent framerates, provided you're gaming at a reasonably low resolution. Incredible for a card which came out over 4 years ago. Let me repeat that. 4 years ago!

2. Sony PS2

Not just a console, but a DVD player also, at a time when DVD players were a cutting edge thing! And what a console, home to some of my favorites ever, and still able to wow me today graphically with games like Tekken 5. Among many others.

3. SNK Neo Geo

A true quantum leap for its time. Basically a home system with specs similar to Capcom's venerable CPS 1 hardware, but still able to do near CPS 3 quality games, as evidenced by Garou: MOTW. What more needs to be said?

Sponsored links

(12-08-2010, 11:07 AM)Dryu Wrote: I love hardware. I love the history of technology, where we've been and where we're going. But sometimes, there are pieces of hardware that are SO FAR ahead of the curve that they are remembered down the track for much longer than most.

With this in mind, I will list what I feel are my 3 favorite hardware tech leaps, and welcome you all to post yours. I feel this could make for fascinating reading, hope you all feel the same. Try to post why you feel the way you do about your choices, the more detail the better!

1. Geforce 8 series, specifically Geforce 8800 gtx/ultra/gt

Not just another graphics card refresh. A massive leap for Nvidia, and the one card which I feel which has given me the most out of any I've owned. Sure, try to run a game like Metro 2033 on this card and it won't be too pretty, but the fact is, it's still capable of playing most games today at decent framerates, provided you're gaming at a reasonably low resolution. Incredible for a card which came out over 4 years ago. Let me repeat that. 4 years ago!

2. Sony PS2

Not just a console, but a DVD player also, at a time when DVD players were a cutting edge thing! And what a console, home to some of my favorites ever, and still able to wow me today graphically with games like Tekken 5. Among many others.

3. SNK Neo Geo

A true quantum leap for its time. Basically a home system with specs similar to Capcom's venerable CPS 1 hardware, but still able to do near CPS 3 quality games, as evidenced by Garou: MOTW. What more needs to be said?

ati 3000 series

2. psp

3. 128gb ram in a desktop computer
long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.
1. Pong
the first commercial game ever the thing that started it all

2. Neo Geo arcade system
Home to my many not all but many Fighting Games that I LOVE! especially my top three, King of fighters 97,98.02. Real Bout Fatal fury special and last but not not least Samurai Showdown

3.Nokia 5110
first cellphone that was made for the masses very cheap even in its first introduction and one of the many reasons why my country is the worlds texting capital
My New PC
[Image: 1714419.png]
[Image: stargate_sg_1_stamp_by_OmegaDreamSeeker11.jpg]
1.first graphics accelerator
damn, graphics before those things were so pixelated and then suddenly BAM i had my voodoo1 and everything was so smooth and nice

2.games on cd's
holy *****, no more floppy/cassete swapping!

3.internet gets common
yup, back in my day there was no internet... and suddenly BAM 56k modem!
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.