ZoE2 GPU bottleneck?
(06-04-2012, 03:20 PM)Archerko Wrote: *YAY! Alex is online at last!

I wonder how you cool your laptop with such high CPU frequency...

It's pretty awesome, though it hardly ever needs to go at 4.8. It only increases when it actually needs it. Also, somehow when not doing anything demanding it'll stay as low as 2.5Ghz (which keeps my computer cool and quieter). Turbo Boost is ingenious.

Why the sudden happiness of me being online?

Sponsored links

Uhhh--
Wasn't yours the one that never actually ran at said overclock...?
And Origin blamed the thermal throttling or some BS...?

On topic:
The last time I ran ZOE2,
it suffered from some trouble (GS?) with some scenes.
I'd say it seemed more a compatibility issue than insufficient hardware.

Not sure how the latest revs run it, though.
I fixed it - turned out my heatsinks were full of cat hair and caused my computer to overheat ridiculously easily (it was going at 70C when it was IDLE, so ***** me). So yeah, it was suffocating.

It wasn't Origin's fault at all, I was just thinking too highly of myself to think maybe I was doing something wrong, probably - which is why I never noticed until I actually bothered to open the damned thing.

TL;DR : I'm an idiot that owns a cat and my computer loves to suck up great big globs of....fur...
Well after installing the HD4890 the situation has slightly improved/changed.

Same settings as before. Same drivers. Version used: PAL (50fps)
My CPU causes slowdowns. FPS lie between 40 and 50fps in fight scenes without raptors or ardjet.
As soon as raptors show up VRAM fills up to 100% and fps drop down to 25fps.
The same situation as before...

But unlike before the VR training screen stays smooth (50fps). This scene only needs about 80% VRAM (800MB in my case).

Conclusion (you probably know this already): You need a buttload of VRAM. VRAM bandwith didn't seem to matter much.
Vram issue can be fixed with 8-Bit Textures checked.
(06-07-2012, 06:24 PM)Mr.Bonkers Wrote: Vram issue can be fixed with 8-Bit Textures checked.

Read the first post.
It fixes Vram Issues for me. Before, it would max out my VRAM. With it ticked, it dropped significantly. Didn't have an issue after that.
(06-04-2012, 07:31 AM)Interocitor Wrote: I know that I will never reach 60fps with a Core 2 level CPU but maybe a better GPU would make the game at least bearable.
I wouldn't ask if I was entirely sure of how to interpret the GPU load numbers.

Non-boss battles, it typically stay in the 60+ fps. Don't underestimate the Core 2 Quad 9xxx series Laugh

PC specs:
- Asus P5Q Deluxe (rev. 1.03G)
- Thermalright Venomous X CPU cooler
- Intel Q9550 2.83GHz @3.97GHz
- Nvidia GTX 580 3GB Lightning Extreme (OC'ed make very little difference)
- G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 @1168MHz
- Corsair 1000w PSU

Anyway, this game need both a high-end CPU at 4GHz + or even 5GH Core i7 Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge, and a high-end GPU with 3GB of vRam if you don't want the stuttering during boss fights Tongue
I think that's the misconception with this game, a lot of people play the first level and see 60 fps, its not until the bosses and further levels in the game stresses everything :)

with my current config I get about 50-60 fps on bosses, my old 9800gtx+ could only get 20-30 fps but that only had 512mb ram
Yeah sure, a lot of people that either use speedhacks or is on a Core i7 setup, that's easy to get 60+ fps. I didn't use speedhacks Wink Just showing the raw processing power of the Q9550 when overclocked. Average fps on the first boss fight range in the 4x - 6x fps, lowest fps was mid or high 30's fps. Keep in mind that this was recorded or played on a C2D system and is not using speedhacks.

If i used speedhacks then that boss fight would have been 60+ fps.