Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anti virus issues for win 7 64 bit
I'm looking for a anti-virus suite (Paid).

I'm doing lots and lots of research before I go installing any antivirus cause a lot of them can be a pain to uninstall.

Now I love 64 bit, completely awesome, but I wish things would speed up as far as compatibility goes. If 64 didn't have some sort of 32 bit compatibility, there would have been tons of issues.

Anyway, I've researched, and it looks like a lot of paid anti virus programs are having tons and tons of issues on windows 7 64 bit or just 64 bit period. So far, Avira, Nod32 64 bit, and Kaspersky is going to be the best. Avira, nod, and Kaspersky is causing minor issues.

Avira:

1- I don't mind but some people are complaining about how avira warns you about using administrative rights but it is true.
2- The Avira AntiVir ProActiv is not available for 64 bit atm which is a biggy (behavior scanner basically).
3- You will get an error message when scanning outgoing emails but can be fixed, instructions are on their website.

Kaspersky

1- big issue for xp users, no safe mode O.o
2- Power hungry, the usual
3- No significant issues on win 7, seem to work great.

Nod32 64 bit

1- nothing noticeable in forums etc. I might go with nod32 64 bit if I can't find anything wrong with it.

2 edit - I did find some issues about using hotmail and nod but not sure if that is resolved. never used hotmail anyway but some might so take note of it.

edit 3- DO NOT USE NOD32 V4!!!! USE THE BETA INSTEAD!! Major issues when using windows 7 64 bit.

Anyway, my question is are there any anti-virus programs (free or not) that you guys are using that are having no issues? Or perhaps that you heard have no issues? I thought I make this since I'm sure there are some people on here that may be thinking about getting windows 7 64 bit.

hec, maybe this topic was already discussed?
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram

Sponsored links

personal opinion but kaspersky is by far superior for years now maybe from all the others. also as you saw it works great in win 7 and probably its time for you to upgrade also your OS. just the antivirus cant do much if the OS is bad and old (its from 2001 lol) imagine how many bugs where fixed in win 7 that existed in xp Tongue

edit: whatever antivirus you use it will "consume" performance from your pc so the solution there is using the best if you are going to use an antivirus.
also be sure that from time to time all antivirus created problems when some patch came out and killed a system 32 important file Tongue
the best solution for you and your pc is to NOT use any kind of antivirus. thats what i am doing for 2 years now (1,5 on win xp and 0.5 on win 7) and never had an issue cause i was careful in what i was downloading and where i was in the internet, and trust me i was never limited in my actions cause i use lots of downloaded cracked programs/games and i never had an issue Tongue (except the famous bsod in xp in random times [hey i had it 1.5 year without format Tongue ] but NEVER had it in win 7)

try thinking about it cause for me the best antivirus is my self Smile

edit2: dont go tell me that i may have a virus/trojan or anything else and i maybe dont know it or something like that. if you have something like that there is no way you cant see it in your pc, i know my pc perfect and i will understand the slightest difference in its behaviour from an error a difference in load times or anything at all Wink
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
(06-05-2010, 03:37 PM)iakoboss7 Wrote: personal opinion but kaspersky is by far superior for years now maybe from all the others. also as you saw it works great in win 7 and probably its time for you to upgrade also your OS. just the antivirus cant do much if the OS is bad and old (its from 2001 lol) imagine how many bugs where fixed in win 7 that existed in xp Tongue

edit: whatever antivirus you use it will "consume" performance from your pc so the solution there is using the best if you are going to use an antivirus.
also be sure that from time to time all antivirus created problems when some patch came out and killed a system 32 important file Tongue
the best solution for you and your pc is to NOT use any kind of antivirus. thats what i am doing for 2 years now (1,5 on win xp and 0.5 on win 7) and never had an issue cause i was careful in what i was downloading and where i was in the internet, and trust me i was never limited in my actions cause i use lots of downloaded cracked programs/games and i never had an issue Tongue (except the famous bsod in xp in random times [hey i had it 1.5 year without format Tongue ] but NEVER had it in win 7)

try thinking about it cause for me the best antivirus is my self Smile

edit2: dont go tell me that i may have a virus/trojan or anything else and i maybe dont know it or something like that. if you have something like that there is no way you cant see it in your pc, i know my pc perfect and i will understand the slightest difference in its behaviour from an error a difference in load times or anything at all Wink

LOL, well said Smile

I agree, if it were me, I wouldn't even bother cause I'm also careful with that stuff. But my other family members aren't exactly computer friendly.

I normally save a restore point each day in case something weird happens.

The anti-virus I'm going for will be for my new asus win 7 64 bit when it arrives. Since I have a local area connection, its idea for.... them xD

edit some useful programs I used were HijackThis, spyblaster, at one point spybot, and I had avira free for a bit but it was slowing down my weak 900mzh cup!! xD Had to get rid of it.

I'm so glad I'm upgrading Smile I do have a Pentium 4 but it has no internet cause all my important stuff was on there.
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
i dont know the 2 others but i know spybot. i wouldnt recommend using programs like those or anything that can touch the registry. the best thing you can do is probably increase the security in IE allot in their windows profile (like a guest profile) so it will be more safe for you.

well i suggest trying without an antivirus for some time and look how things will go cause win 7 are good to maintain security without any other programs.

an even better solution is to make a very small partition that ONLY the other members in your family will use and in there restrict them from entering in your partition or writing files there, maybe thats the safest way for you cause if anything happens to their partition you can just reformat ( you can install as many copy's of windows as you want in the same pc if you have the windows dvd)

if you dont want to try anything of those for your reasons i would still vote for kaspersky Tongue
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
I have no problems with AVG Free on windows 7 64bit.
[Image: 1454055.png]
Iv been using the free version of avast! anti-virus on windows 7 x64 and haven't had any problems.
Actually, there is an option in Kaspersky that makes it use less resources, but that will also increase scan time. (Tried it myself)

I've heard a lot of good things about MS Security Essentials lately. Might want to look into that.
Nappa: Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level?
Vegeta: It's...one thousand and six.
Nappa: Wh-...really?
Vegeta: Yeah! Beat him up Nappa!
Nappa: Yay!
I just learned something.... Comcast is offering their customers norton 2010 for free. How is norton 2010 (not 2008 or below) in ya'll opinion?
well i think they dont have the problems they had before 2-3 years (it was using a crazy amount of resources and it was almost doing nothing) but probably they need 1 more year to mature the program to be more effective in its job Tongue
Curious, why are you looking specifically at paid apps? The free ones are pretty decent, too. I use Microsoft Security Essentials and it has absolutely no problems running in Windows 7 64-bit. Very lightweight, too. Tongue2