backwards compatability
Since the PS2 is fully backwards compatible with PSone via hardware (not emulation), shouldn't PCSX2 be backwards compatible also? Dolphin is a Wii emulator, and since the Wii is backwards compatible with the gamecube, it also emulates Gamecube titles. I know GSdx is backwards compatible also as it works with PSX emulators. So can PSone emulation be implemented in PCSX2?

Sponsored links

it's not yet implemented, there was a discussion relating to this though.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
(07-13-2015, 10:51 AM)Dr_Hycodan Wrote: Since the PS2 is fully backwards compatible with PSone via hardware (not emulation), shouldn't PCSX2 be backwards compatible also? Dolphin is a Wii emulator, and since the Wii is backwards compatible with the gamecube, it also emulates Gamecube titles. I know GSdx is backwards compatible also as it works with PSX emulators. So can PSone emulation be implemented in PCSX2?

fun fact, Dolphin started as a Gamecube emulator, not a Wii emulator Wink (Project Dolphin was the codename for the Gamecube once it was announced) As far as im aware it doesn't pretend to be a Wii pretending to be a Gamecube, it literally just morphs in to a Gamecube emulator.

But yes, there are some technical weirdnesses with PS1 emulation on the PS2 which we haven't worked out yet.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Actually to my knowledge gsdx is not really backwards compatible. It just has two parallel forks within one dll. Which sound more like a mess than a feature. Maybe some code is shared but I think the largest part is completely independent.
Considering the limited time of the coders I don’t think it’s really needed, there is 2 great emulators for ps1, one is a simple easy to use and the other more harder but more options available I won’t name then as I am new to this forum and don’t want to break any rules but goggle search and you will find.
(07-13-2015, 10:51 AM)Dr_Hycodan Wrote: Dolphin is a Wii emulator, and since the Wii is backwards compatible with the gamecube, it also emulates Gamecube titles.

You're mistaken. At first Dolphin was a GameCube emulator. Wii games support was added later. Also, the Wii is basically the GameCube with faster CPU and GPU and more RAM:
[Image: CubeVsWii.jpg]
(07-13-2015, 10:56 AM)ssakash Wrote: it's not yet implemented, there was a discussion relating to this though.

and some trolling it about from some dev's XD

One day we might have it, having gpu plugin that is HW and not 8+years old like most the ps1 gpu plugins would be nice GSDX is currently only software.
So is PSone run by the EE+GS or did Sony have the psx cpu+gpu on there just for BC?
im thinking?? they had original parts in it at first, then switched it to software, sony idea of emulation was game runs original resolution and add smooth effect and call it a day , ps2 emulation on ps3 was no different. and when they switch to software and remove the original parts they ran into issue there for droped bc? ps1 at this point was easy to do software wise even on ps2? and even the ps3 cant play ps1 games im sure it has power to emulation ps1 games and actual improve on the images but that requires work.

in both case there "emulation" was inferior to anything done on pc for emulation. Does using original parts to run the older game on new systems count as emulation, as we know it?
This was discussed as well several times. The PS2-IOP seems to be very close to the PSOne-EE. The PS2-SPU is just twice the PS1 SPU. And the other stuff is not related.

In PSOne backward compatibility the IOP seems to do the core stuff while EE probably needs to convert PSOne-GS input to PS2-GS input and do the extra mathematics.

@tsunami I think you describe the situation for the ps3/ps2. The ps2/ps1 compatibility stayed always the same and was always a mixture of HW and SW emulation. That was completely different on the ps3 were we first had hardware, later software and even later no ps2 emulation if I remember correctly.