beta vs official
I just wanted to ask if pcsx2 is going same direction as dolphin emu regarding beta versions and therefore if I should just get latest beta and play games with it instead of latest 0.9.6 "stable"? I mean, in dolphin for example it was ages since some official release and using latest beta build is usually best and most reliable. Is it same now for pcsx2? I saw changelog for beta builds and there seems to be a LOT of progress, how unstable are they compare to 0.9.6? Sorry if its dumb I was just currious.. Also, how is it for gsxd plugin? After 0.1.14 or so I too see only "builds", but using latest one I got rid of freezing in DMC, but I got some graphic glitches, nothing big though..

Sponsored links

Betas we release are fairly stable. But it hasn't been AGES since the 0.9.6 release, so if you find something broken or not working properly in the beta you can always fall back to the tested, totally bug free official release.
In either case, you lose nothing first testing the latest beta (which is also faster and usually more compatible) and if you don't get good results, give 0.9.6 a try, although lately the beta is better in all aspects.

Another difference is that we give full support for the latest release (0.9.6) since it has been tested thoroughly but only partial or no support for the betas.
[Image: newsig.jpg]
Something to be aware of too is that the latest OFFICIAL betas are the way to go, especially right now (current one as of posting is 1888) since the new betas that you have to compile yourself are using a very unstable (for now) new GUI that's constantly being worked on and breaks a lot of things.
[Image: 2748844.png]
You should keep both, sometimes games work on 0.9.6 that dont on the betas (or have some some bugs that make playability lower) and the beta will also play games that didnt before or fix bugs that were in the stable.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
if your playing ffx definently use the beta, has fixed alot of serious problems with it.
newer doesnt always means better ( at least not in 100% ), for example i must use older versions of gsdx and emulator to get rid of huge graphical bugs in skitts in tales of the abyss, so best way is to experiment Tongue
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.
Thanka all for Your responds. Seems I'll start using official beta as soon as some of my games won't work well in 0.9.6 and then keep it. Am aware that there may be compatibility differences, I was only curious about stability of beta in regards of such things like memcard corruption, files corruption save state corruption and such, as I wouldn't like to find out in the end of some game that all my saves was screwed just because I used beta, things like that. Or some frequent crashing just because devs wouldn't mind to check code right after change and saved it for final cleanup before official release. But something's telling me this is much cleaner work than dolphin heh Wink Ok, thanks again.
Always keep backups of your memcards, and I mean even with the stables :P
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Yeah, by the nature of emulating a complex console like this there's bound to be problems. Be it with the official release, or the latest svn build (beta).
The big difference is that we run extensive testing/debugging on releases, while betas are lesser tested.
(We think they're stable though, else we wouldn't offer them Wink )
(09-26-2009, 01:32 AM)elite Wrote: Thanka all for Your responds. Seems I'll start using official beta as soon as some of my games won't work well in 0.9.6 and then keep it. Am aware that there may be compatibility differences, I was only curious about stability of beta in regards of such things like memcard corruption, files corruption save state corruption and such, as I wouldn't like to find out in the end of some game that all my saves was screwed just because I used beta, things like that. Or some frequent crashing just because devs wouldn't mind to check code right after change and saved it for final cleanup before official release. But something's telling me this is much cleaner work than dolphin heh Wink Ok, thanks again.
im using 64mb memcards.

100+ hours in persona 3
100+ hours in persona 4
60 hours in FFX
60 hours in FFXII
92 hours in Tales of the Abyss
20 hours in Dragon Quests
15 Hours in Disgaea
LOLMUCH hours in Tekken 4 and Budokai 3

and i didint had a single memcard or savestate corruption, i think there are no problems with data corruption with this emulator ;p

about the crashes... it depends on a game Tongue but in my case crashes ware rare and i didint had any crash that would make the game impossible to finish.
Check my profile for hardware/software and games i played on PCSX2.