Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
black/white levels on Nvidia drivers
I have just assembled a new computer. Video card is a 560ti; drivers are 275.33 on Win7 64. I'm connecting with a DVI->HDMI cable to a Hannspree HF237 monitor.

Whites are significantly darker than they should be, and blacks are significantly lighter than they should be. When I change the "Digital Color Format" from RGB to YCbCr444, the problem is corrected; whites are white and blacks are black. I do not think the problem is the monitor, because the mouse cursor stays fully white in RGB mode, even though everything else that's supposed to be full white is a dingy light gray.

I don't want to stay in YCbCr mode, because it gives some color banding, but it's a lot better than the alternative. I've tried reinstalling the driver and playing around with some other settings to no avail. I've also tried using various color correction controls, on both the computer and the monitor, to compensate for it; but it's no good, the error is just far too big.

I've attached two photographs of the problem. They're pretty awful, and you can't really see much, especially because the camera auto-compensates out the problem. But you can look at the difference between the color of the mouse cursor and the color of what's behind it: in RGB mode, they're different; in YCBCR mode, they're the same. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Sponsored links

try updating the drivers first, and check out the cable..most problems like that are either drivers or cables :/
The display is the problem.

calibrate a custom colour instead of relying on the temperature preselections.
(08-07-2011, 06:38 AM)Squall Leonhart Wrote: The display is the problem.

calibrate a custom colour instead of relying on the temperature preselections.

I've done some more testing, and the exact same setup (with all controls on the monitor set the same) looks fine on Ubuntu. (The gamma test bars are slightly off, but I could easily calibrate them in; there's no major errors).
Believe it or not, but the mouse cursor is as grey as the backgroundSmile
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
AMD Athlon II X4 640 @ 3.7 GHz
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 GB DDR5 @ 800/1000 MHz
RAM 2x2 GB DDR 3 Dual channel