[blog] A new kind of fullscreen!
ati crossfire doesnt work without fullscreen (not sure if the emu has working CF though)
& i'm not sure if this is for all CF, but my 4870x2 doesnt ramp to 3d clockspeeds until fullscreen

maybe i'll do some tests one day, right now i dont even have any ps2 games or the emu installed

so the point is, an option to toggle between the 2 fullscreen modes would be important to have

EDIT: so what's cooperative fullscreen? it's different from the stretched windowed mode? (i think video players like mpc/vlc do the windowed mode)
is it related to how AIM messenger alerts always kick me out of fullscreen dx10/dx11 games, but never in dx9 games, since dx9 stuff was done in exclusive?

Sponsored links

(06-22-2010, 12:05 AM)kn00tcn Wrote: EDIT: so what's cooperative fullscreen? it's different from the stretched windowed mode? (i think video players like mpc/vlc do the windowed mode)

Yes, cooperative fullscreen is basically stretched window mode.

Quote:is it related to how AIM messenger alerts always kick me out of fullscreen dx10/dx11 games, but never in dx9 games, since dx9 stuff was done in exclusive?

Not really. That's a lot to do with how Windows changed exclusive fullscreen behavior from DX9 to DX10. It's almost completely different, really, in how its handled; and I'm not going to say it's really better. It is nicer in some ways but more complicated and annoying in others. From PCSX2's perspective DX10's style of exclusive fullscreen is more difficult to work with than DX9's is, which is part of the issue in supporting exclusive fullscreen at all.

As for your 4870x2, the crossfire portion isn't useful to PCSX2. The fact that it doesn't properly engage 3D clocks on window-mode Direct3D apps is a pretty serious driver design flaw. Also, is this Windows XP/Vista or Win7? I was under the impression that under Win7 most of these 3D/Idle clock speed issues have been resolved.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(06-22-2010, 07:34 PM)Air Wrote: As for your 4870x2, the crossfire portion isn't useful to PCSX2. The fact that it doesn't properly engage 3D clocks on window-mode Direct3D apps is a pretty serious driver design flaw.

isnt there a way you can make something like a patch so it will be able to use the CF or SLI or a small edit in the drivers of ATI & NVIDIA?
i know that its probably silly what i say and veeeeery difficult but you never know Tongue
just a partial low support for dual gpu's would probably be enough
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
(06-22-2010, 08:11 PM)iakoboss7 Wrote: isnt there a way you can make something like a patch so it will be able to use the CF or SLI or a small edit in the drivers of ATI & NVIDIA?
i know that its probably silly what i say and veeeeery difficult but you never know Tongue
just a partial low support for dual gpu's would probably be enough

Honestly there's almost no point, since it won't really help. Most of SLI's benefit is in doubling shader power. Memory bandwidth limitations are not really going to benefit from SLI much, if at all, and what PCSX2 needs most is memory bandwidth.

A couple select games might benefit from SLI if they're really shader-heavy; but it'll have to use the simultaneous frame mode of SLI -- rendering 2 frames in parallel -- since other modes of SLI would do nothing for PCSX2 (those modes are meant to increase shader power, often at the expense of GPU memory bandwidth, ouch).

But the simultaneous frame mode has some distinct drawbacks: It requires vsync enabled in order to work at all, otherwise 1 frame will render at like 400fps and the other at 20fps... so you won't even see one of the frames anyway and it'll be a lot of heat and energy used by your GPU for nothing. It also means the game's visible frame will be lagged behind the internal logic by another 30ms or so, due to the emu having to emulate both frames internally in order to process them in parallel on the GPU.

Oh, and of course no one on the PCSX2 devteam has money to throw away on an SLI setup. That's yet another reason we probably won't add support for it, not even "partial low" type of support. Wink
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(06-23-2010, 02:44 AM)Air Wrote: Oh, and of course no one on the PCSX2 devteam has money to throw away on an SLI setup. That's yet another reason we probably won't add support for it, not even "partial low" type of support. Wink

no problem for me i never liked sli/cf and thanks for the answer, small benefit from what i understand (if at all)

as for the quoted part of my comment i totally agree with that, i would say the same myself Smile
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest