[blog] Why MSI sucks...
I just spent five weeks waiting for MSI to mail me a check back for an RMA'd HD 5770. I mailed my card in on May 28th, after getting an RMA number from MSI tech support. The check showed up today on July 7th. The amount refunded naturally doesn't cover shipping costs, neither for the initial purchase or for mailing the piece of crap back to MSI. And when I consider time spent troubleshooting the GPU, dealing with tech support, packing and mailing the card back, and now shopping for a replacement (I hate shopping for GPUs, and not surprisingly, whatever I buy this time around will not be an MSI brand), I'm really feeling steamrolled.

(More gory details of the ordeal are posted here: [url=http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-blog-Why-MSI-sucks?pid=126869#pid126869])

In other news, we recently freed PCSX2 of the shackles of MMX an XMM register freezes. This is a godsend for Linux and Mac users, as it means PCSX2 can finally be compiled with gcc optimizations enabled and be more stable at the same time. Thusly Linux and Mac users can most likely expect some really good things in the near future.

I may do a more detailed blog on the nightmares that plagued the Linux/Mac builds for so many years, and how we went about fixing them. But for now I'm too busy trying to pick out a new HD 5770, because MSI was too cheap to send me a replacement. Glare
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team

Sponsored links

At least things got solved, not the best way but it's better than nothing Wink

As a linux user I'm really glad to see those improvements, I've been testing pcsx2 svn for about a month and it's pretty stable even with -O3 =) I think that the only thing holding back linux and mac builds now is the zzogl-pg but some GREAT work is being done on that area too so I thank you guys VERY MUCH for all the hard work and linux support!
Athlon II x2 245 (@3.6Ghz), 6gb DDR3 1333, GeForce GTS250 2gb Ram, Linux Mint 12 32bit.
Had a MSI P45 Platinum motherboard and was completely disgusted with it. Aside from many shiny LEDs all over the board the damn thing couldn't even get to 444Mhz FSB stable.

After meddling with settings as much as i could i got it to partially work at 444 FSB but it had a lot of probs. When i powered on my pc next morning after the OC i found out that it boots only if i leave the PC on for like 5 mins with a black screen so that the board heats up a little and then finaly boots up (not to mention the board wouldn't boot if i chose to restart windows or reset via button).

After all this ill make sure ill NEVER EVER buy anything MSI again.
444 fsb is not a normal fsb... its kinda high you know, not all boards can make it with that high fsb, only the ones that are made purely for OC and you have to pay somewhat more for that (nothing below 100 eu/us is good for that)
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
when it comes to customer service, usually EVGA is regarded as number 1 (afaik).

although there's always PITA wait-times with RMAs, I'm pretty sure EVGA would've just given you a newer model of the card instead of a check :/

oh well...
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code
btw air why you didnt return it to the shop you got it? its usually faster than the company itself (at least thats how it is for me) and in max 1 week its fine (if not days) with a replacement or a fast rma in the store
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
(07-08-2010, 11:04 AM)cottonvibes Wrote: when it comes to customer service, usually EVGA is regarded as number 1 (afaik).

although there's always PITA wait-times with RMAs, I'm pretty sure EVGA would've just given you a newer model of the card instead of a check :/

oh well...

EVGA also only makes nvidia cards. They have no ATI models, so there's really no way I could have gone with EVGA.
(07-08-2010, 12:26 AM)iakoboss7 Wrote: 444 fsb is not a normal fsb... its kinda high you know, not all boards can make it with that high fsb, only the ones that are made purely for OC and you have to pay somewhat more for that (nothing below 100 eu/us is good for that)

Come on even my old Asus P5K board could get to that fsb no problem and its supposed to be more low-end than the MSI.
And for me 444 FSB doesn't seem all that high as i can get to 533 FSB no problem with my current MB, but from what i've heard FSBs above 444 are NOT recommended for daily use (plus i can get the processor to 4225 MHZ just fine with 444 FSB).

And for the last posts -> Yes EVGA cards have very good performance and overclocking capabilities. You won't be dissapointed by one.
(07-08-2010, 11:19 AM)iakoboss7 Wrote: btw air why you didnt return it to the shop you got it? its usually faster than the company itself (at least thats how it is for me) and in max 1 week its fine (if not days) with a replacement or a fast rma in the store

Stores generally only let you return hardware less than 30 days old, unless you pay through the nose for a redundant warranty (Which, assuming the manufacturer actually honors theirs, unlike MSI, is pretty much a waste of money).
(07-08-2010, 06:15 PM)ChickenLiver Wrote:
(07-08-2010, 11:19 AM)iakoboss7 Wrote: btw air why you didnt return it to the shop you got it? its usually faster than the company itself (at least thats how it is for me) and in max 1 week its fine (if not days) with a replacement or a fast rma in the store

Stores generally only let you return hardware less than 30 days old, unless you pay through the nose for a redundant warranty (Which, assuming the manufacturer actually honors theirs, unlike MSI, is pretty much a waste of money).

Exactly. 30 days were up.