bsod while running/playing PCSX2
So, I've got a good machine if I say so myself. Not top notch, but it's cool.
Never in my life experienced a bsod with this system and I'm a heavy gamer.

Don't think overheating is the problem, cause it never goes beyond the 30ÂșC

I downloaded pcsx2 so I could play some old games I can't find anywhere and I get bsod.

More specifically, while playing Shadow Hearts.
Also it isn't instant. I can play for hours on end...(yesterday were like 4 ou 5 hours) and today were also 3 hours playing without problems. But then all of a sudden...BSOD

The dmp file is available if anyone can read it.

I'd appreciate a little help.

Attached Files
.7z   101911-18985-01.7z (Size: 19,78 KB / Downloads: 126)

Sponsored links

still need help
In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(01-15-2013, 05:04 PM)jesalvein Wrote: In order to help you further with your problem, please make sure the following are all provided.
  • Your hardware specs - CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, Operating System.
  • The version of PCSX2 you are using.
  • Any non default settings you are using.
  • What games you are trying to play and if you are playing them from ISO or DVD.

Thank You.

I thought the dmp file provided all that.
Anyway

Intel Core i5 750 @2.67ghz
Windows 7 x64
8gb ram
GPU: Asus gtx 560 ti

PCX2 1.0.0
Everything on default
Playing shadow hearts while bsod

COPY PASTE from PCSX2

Host Machine Init:
Operating System = Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
Physical RAM = 8182 MB
CPU name = Intel® Core™ i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
Vendor/Model = GenuineIntel (stepping 05)
CPU speed = 2.673 ghz (4 logical threads)
x86PType = Standard OEM
x86Flags = bfebfbff 0098e3fd
x86EFlags = 28100000
Just a note, PCSX2 cannot cause BSOD's, it does not access a low enough level to do such things, however it can show system instability in other areas.

From inspection of the dump, the cause of the BSOD is ataport.sys, which could mean one of a few things.

1. If you have AVG installed, please try uninstalling it and see if that helps, some people have reported this causing that exact error.

2. Your hard disk has a fault which may or may not be corrected by running a command prompt and doing "chkdsk c: /f" (you will need to reboot after choosing Y from the option given), if that doesn't fix it, it is possible your hard disk is faulty and needs replacing.

3. You have a rootkit causing issues, this could either be a virtual driver like SPTD (usually comes with cd burning programs or daemon tools) or a virus. To check it isn't the latter, i recommend googling and running "TDSSKiller" from Kaspersky followed by "Malwarebytes". Both tools are free.

Hope that helps.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

Thanks for the reply!

I will try all of the above and post the results here later.

Btw: AVG ? anti virus, right?
correct Smile

A side-note question. I store all my games in an external hdd via usb. Im running the game from it. Could this be it? I'm sure the hdd has error because the windows is always saying so when I plug it in.
Just remembered this now. I'll put it in one of my internal ones and try again.

I ran the TDSSKiller and malware bytes and it found nothing.

Also, uninstalled comodo.
Look at the Windows System Log, accessible from Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. From this last window look it at Logs.

You'll need to provide Administrative password to view the log if UAC is set on.

PS: Filter the log (you can do it at the right side) so to show only error and Critical.

Take not of the Event ID to those red messages. You can find the meaning of the IDs on the Internet, bring them here if having difficulty to understand what they mean.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(01-15-2013, 07:28 PM)ChikCen Wrote: A side-note question. I store all my games in an external hdd via usb. Im running the game from it. Could this be it? I'm sure the hdd has error because the windows is always saying so when I plug it in.
Just remembered this now. I'll put it in one of my internal ones and try again.

yes that could very well be it, i think that would be a good idea Wink