corei7 @ 3.4/3.5ghz, how will software mode work in gsdx with 7 threads Pcsx2 0.9.6?
(03-06-2009, 01:53 PM)Trigun Wrote: Some people care more about accuracy than larger resolution. Even when using hardware mode, I often don't use larger internal resolutions 99% of the time. In that case, Software works just fine and provides greater emulation quality.

If I had to use the original resolution I would use the real ps2. That would be the most accurate option available, and the "native" resolution on the real PS2 looks better than in the emulator anyway. The great appeal of Pcsx2 is the possibility to use higher resolutions. Disregard that element would be the same as throw away Pcsx2 most attractive feature.

The graphical improvement achieved by raising resolution is something amazing, lower D3D resolutions like 1024x768 are more than enough to make a huge improvement in comparison to native resolution. That is something that cannot be ignored.
[Image: pibjimh9rqzvk1yz5kl.jpg]

Sponsored links

(03-06-2009, 06:16 PM)Gentleman Wrote: If I had to use the original resolution I would use the real ps2.

exactly Wink

I dont feel like going back to my ps2 after playing pcsx2, it looks so much better. But i understand if a coder wants to be as close to original picture as possible Smile
That's not exactly the problem. Only software mode is limited to the original resolution. That's why I still think hardware mode is the way to go. When software mode features higher resolutions then it might be the end for hardware mode, since software is supporting multiple threads now.

So you wouldn't use PCSX2 at all if it didn't have increased resolution support? I would mark you as a very few minority then.

In addition, I would posit the "Great Appeal" of pcsx2 and emulators to the average person in general is the convenience of save states and ease of memory editing.
To each his own of course.

I prefer not having vast anomalies in my display if possible, thankfully software mode provides that 99% of the time (with nearly the same speed, thanks to Gabest).
Which I can't say for Hardware mode. I could count on my hands the games that (I've) seen work correctly without display glitches in hardware.
Ninja
If I had to bear with the native res I wouldn't use Pcsx2, that's exactly what I'm saying. I only use save states for games that randomly freezes. I don't really mind about it. Anyway since the beggining GSdx supported higher resolutions (At least on hardware mode), so that was never a problem for Pcsx2, really. Not only for Pcsx2... I think all emulators since Zsnes supported higher resolutions.

pSX till this day doesnt. Because.. it tries to faithfully reproduce the PSX.

Quote:Q. How is it less accurate to enhance graphics?
A: With the method that many of the graphics enhancement plugins in PSEmuPro-based emulators use, graphics objects from PlayStation games are translated into Direct3D or OpenGL objects, which are not direct analogues to the native PlayStation objects, and so they may lose information possibly important to the game. As such, accuracy is sacrificed for enhanced graphics. This is something that pSX strives not to do.

Nature of the beast.
(Note: Not saying this is a direct example of what gsdx/zerogs does, just giving an example of why pSX for instance doesn't do it.)
Ninja
That's why people uses Epsxe instead of pSX

"People", so you speak for the whole of mankind?
I'm done with this thread, it's impossible to reason with stupidity.
Ninja
Most people. I dunno why. Maybe because it has the ability to enhance the real experience. Just maybe.

Anyway you should have said: "It's impossible to reason without a real argument."

Anyway.. I just want to finish my reasoning with a very simple example.. Let's take FF12.. I can achieve full speed in FF12 with hardware mode and yet I can raise it's resolution and get better graphics without losing performance.

In the other hand I have software mode where I also can get full speed, but I simply cannot change the resolution.

Which one should I choose ? Well, that's it. I'm done.