Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cpu overclocking need help
i want to overclock my cpu but im really noobish and im scared of braking computers.any trusted tutorials on how to overclock

Sponsored links

What type of cpu do you have? What type of heatsink do you have? What is the current temperature of your cpu at idle and at max load?

Download Core Temp if you are using an amd cpu or Real Temp if it is intel.
(06-29-2010, 11:32 PM)fateric Wrote: i want to overclock my cpu but im really noobish and im scared of braking computers.any trusted tutorials on how to overclock

Albeit PCSX2 being a highly demanding application what encourages overclocking CPUs and GPUs this is not an specialized forum on the matter.

Here we can point some directions and give some hints but you really should seek more complete answers and procedures at the several sites dedicated to the issue.

That's because overclocking is too much dependent on several factors, from the CPU passing by every other hardware component til the GPU.

So, I overclock my phenon II 965 to x18.5 multiplier and the refHT to 205MHz and the nvidia 9600GT core to 720MHz and the VRAM to 950MHz and I'm able to get it stable and cool enough with stock cooling, a very conservative OC and hardly the max I could achieve from the machine... this is all I can say about the matter.

From a time long ago where OC was openly 'condemned' by the manufacturers, today their goal is appealing to this natural desire people have to extract the max from their things and being "highly overclockable" seems to become a trade mark for many products and a strong buying appeal... they learned it.
Imagination is where we are truly real
I don't know much about AMD overclocking.
For intel:
Download HWmonitor and prime95.
prime95 tests your stability by putting all cores on 100% load constantly.
HW monitor checks your temperatures.
Try to keep all cores under 70 during the stresstests.
clocks = multiplier X bclk, so for example : 25x 160 = 4000mhz
Go to the bios, turn of speedstep, C1E and TM.
up the bclk for a higher clock.
be carefull as this sets ram higher as well so you will have to set that manually/stay as close as you can to the orignal ram speed; 1600mhz for example.
The easiest way to do this is to select a bclk that will set the ram to one about the standard speed. (for example, 160bclk on multiplier 25 sets my ram at 1604mhz with the ram originally ment for 1600mhz.
Make small overclocks at a time. for example 3 ghz to 3.4ghz and use the prime95 for an hour at least to check if it's stable.
Up the voltage slightly if it's unstable (for example 1.25 to 1.3) and try again/go further with overclocking.
You will need a good aftermarket cooler for big overclocks though.
The higher the voltage goes, the higher the heat gets.
[Image: 1454055.png]