Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
custom PS2 portable console. is it possible?
my dream is to play jak 2 on a portable console, with a screen and headphones jack and all. i practicly grow up on the PS2 and most of my childhood games are on it.

but the problem is that it seems that emulating a PS2 on a portable device is very hard. even the PS Vita might not be up to it. and from what i understand it's mostly because of the Emotion Engine and Graphic Synthesizer.

well, my question is, let's take something like this: http://openpandora.org/ only designed specifically to run PS2 games. and that it includes the EE+GS die from a PS2. is something like this possible?

also, the NES-on-a-chip uses a technology called FPGA, which is a programmable chip, to run NES games on a single chip, and is very very small and perfect for portable console. do you think you can create something like a PS2-on-a-chip with FPGA?

sorry if i'm dreaming too far. but i have to know how close my dream is to coming true :)

Sponsored links

There are portable Dreamcasts, SNES and PSX, so if you search for portable PS2 I'm sure you'll find that someone have made one. So yeah, possible.
[Image: nbKSK.jpg]
Not sure if it would be possible to take a ps2 apart and cut it down to fit in a decently small portable case but someone has made a xbox 260 laptop so something like that may help as well but if i remember correctly that doesnt run off of batteries.
you mean portable mod like this ?
http://benheck.com/ps2-portable

so yea, doable Smile
[Image: 1921765.png]
I can imagine how heavy such thing will be.
My Phat PS2 with internal hdd is at least 5kg.

Also I'm not sure but does the PS2 actually have anti shock feature because for portable device this something that it MUST have(if the games are loaded from CD\DVD)

Maybe with Slim PS2 and some small usb flash drive and OPL will fix that but I still think it will be heavy and big.
(05-21-2012, 09:03 PM)setya5785 Wrote: you mean portable mod like this ?
http://benheck.com/ps2-portable

so yea, doable Smile

Yup, that's what I was thinking! *presses button* Awesome!
[Image: nbKSK.jpg]
well i was thinking more in the direction of creating my own motherboard, which will be small and lightweight and can support things i might want like SD cards.

my question is is it possible to open the PS2, take out the EE+GS die, and put it on my own circuit to use in a custom console? much like the first revision of PS3, they had both the EE and the GS on the PS3 motherboard, and they kicked in when backwards games were played. so it should be possible to use in my own circuit right?
that's impossible for your wallet. where'd you put the processors on. the custom pcb alone would cost you alot. you need tons of microcontrollers for the surroundings to control and fill the cpu with data. then there's the hardware to fabricate. means a bga solder machine and such and... and... and... Wink

you don't get that kinda stuff anywhere for a lil buck. this' hard engineering.
(05-21-2012, 10:58 PM)xstyla Wrote: that's impossible for your wallet. where'd you put the processors on. the custom pcb alone would cost you alot. you need tons of microcontrollers for the surroundings to control and fill the cpu with data. then there's the hardware to fabricate. means a bga solder machine and such and... and... and... Wink

you don't get that kinda stuff anywhere for a lil buck. this' hard engineering.

about the PCB i researched it already, you can create homemade PCB quite cheaply, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKEe3otWstM&feature=fvst.

about mounting the EE, that will be a really big problem, but im not giving up on my dream just yet, this is purely a suggestion but can i cut a big box in the board around the mounted EE, and wire the lines to my own board? or if i'm precise enough cut a hole in my board the exact size of the board around the EE and slide it in. it's a longshot i know. but what if it works?

forgive me if it's hard for me to take "impossible" for an answer, i don't want to wait for an portable console or smartphone that will emulate the PS2, that can take years from now (unless sony releases an Xperia Play 2 with PS2 emulation in mind. but i doubt it). damn it i want to play PS2 on the bus Sad.
i dunno what you think you could do. but that video of the home made pcb is not what you're looking at when you wanna mount a processor like the EE. any modern pc and graphics card and even cellphone boards don't contain just one layer but more of them with circuits to connect the processing units. Wink

had to tell you. so... don't even try to arguement with homemade EE board. it's impossible *portal voice* Wink