frame rate drops randomly on stud of a pc....
Ok so my rig is i7 4770k 3.5 ghz quad (3.9 turbo 4 physical core 4 logical) water cooled , 8 gigs ram, 250 gb ssd, gtx770.
Vista ultimate 64bit.

It took me a few days to research and understand the options of pcsx2 ect. I read configuration info ect. I've tried a couple games and it seems the problem is either with my system or pcsx2. I'll be playing 60 fps smooth as silk then out of the blue it will drop off to 40fps then bounce back.

I'm using the latest stable version of pcsx2, turned off all speed hacks and dumbed it down to native resolution, dx9 hw mode, sse41 plugin. Current game is grand turismo 3 but has done this all games. My video card is updated, dumbed down windows appearance, turned off antivirus, turned off a bunch of programs on startup.

I monitored my cpu and gpu to see if there's something obvious there. My cpu temp is non issue, the average cpu usage in hw mode is between 20 30%. My gpu ooverclock itself until it hits it's thermal limit. I turned up fan speed so it never hits the limit. My gpu is a beast pcsx2 isn't pushing it to 100% maybe like 60%. The average video ram being used is between 500 mb to 1gb. (2 gb card) I did see it jump to the max once or twice but the video ram usage seems to have nothing to do with frame drop. I have cooler master case with 4 big fans, climate control ed environment so heat in the case a non issue.

So I guess my question is has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything else I can do? I'm going to see if I need dx update. Only other thing I can think of is either I have a virus or maybe it trying to use the page file for some reason. ... my system ram is never maxed but who knows.

One last thing I'm using motion joy game pad tool and a blue tooth connected ds3 controller.

Sponsored links

Using native resolution with that video card makes things worse probably, for some reason modern video cards aren't at easy with low resolutions.

The missing information in the OP is the game(s) being played. Yes, PCSX2 itself is light on the computer, emulating the games is the demanding thing and like PC games each console game push its own load unto the system.

Besides, some games aren't yet well emulated making even the most powerful machine of today to struggle to keep the nominal FPS if at all possible. Some these games will need at least a bit of speedhack to achieve that nominal speed in your machine.

Resuming, don't assume your machine is almight and able to cope with whatever the emulation may throw at it. PCSX2 emulation still have some issues to solve with some games which use non standard codes and then skip most the emulator's optimizations, the rule is relatively simple, if you are getting slowdown at some points, by all means try what the emulator already has to try and minimize the problem, BTW, try the speedhacks for such games. With your machine you should not need speedhacks at all with most games, just the minimal speedhacks with a few games and more aggressive speedhacks with some other game, simple like this... once you have tried it, report back the results.
Imagination is where we are truly real
Also, don't use motioninjoy. It's spyware infested crap. Use this instead: http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wr...Controller
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
I put in there the current game is grand turismo 3. I do understand that emulation requires a great deal of power and even a good machine can bog down ect but that's why I was paying so close attention to the details of what was happening with my machine. Trust me I've used different speed hacks ect. I should of mentioned that but I turned everything off and turned down resolution just so I could say for sure that those things weren't causing the problem. I can basically max out every detail setting or have the settings at bare minimum. The problem is the same. It even crossed my mind that maybe my cpu was thermal throttling for some reason but it's water cooled and hovers around 45 - 50c under load. Something weird tho is I put the game in software mode cpu usage went up to 50% ok cool. Then when frame rate drops I see cpu % go down and also instant cpu temp drop.... here's video of frame drop cpu% drop Watch "Pcsx2 frame drop. .." on YouTube
Pcsx2 frame drop. ..: http://youtu.be/zsvEU1TCbOM
Ok so here's another question someone tell me a game that they know pcsx2 can emulate perfectly or pretty close so I can try that game and see if the issue remains. Just seems so weird.
Final Fantasy X.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Looks like intel speedstep problem to me ...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(08-20-2014, 06:41 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Looks like intel speedstep problem to me ...

2nd this, i been say for years intel speed step dont work well with pcsx2,, which one many of reason i have it turned off
How do I disable that?
(08-20-2014, 03:10 PM)markyrocks69 Wrote: How do I disable that?

in your bios
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go