freezing the emulation
I'm currently working on a HD Texturepack for Final Fantasy X using texmod but I need to freeze/pause the emulation to dump the textures properly.
The game has to stand still while GSdx continues rendering of the current scene.
I know this can be done with the GS capture/playback function, but is there a way to freeze/unfreeze the Emulation on the fly?

Thanks.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

Sponsored links

No, it cannot be done this way.
When the emulation state is frozen, the game doesn't produce rendering and vsyncs anymore.
To get an updated screen you need to do at least one rendering pass with a vsync following (so it displays on screen).

What GSreplays are doing is exactly that: They capture all events and one or more vsyncs and replay that.
okay I understand, seems that I have to make more GS captures xP

@nexxxus thats right.....can't u extract the iso of the game and add the hd texture pack and repack the iso?????
@rama i may be wrong here but could it be done that way instead of freezing and stuff???
You'd also have to inject your new textures, and that in one of the funky GS upload ways (interleaved paths 1,2 and 3).

Maybe you'll have more luck hacking into GSdx's texture cache directly.
That'd mean you'd have to understand it though, and that's a monumental task Tongue2
@XcaliburXI:
The filesystem of this game is very complex, but it's not impossible.
It would require to extract and decompress every map file, there are no filenames, the filesystem is completely file ID and filetype ID based and the files getting looked up by the game own LBA table.
So it would require a complete rebuild of the iso and the LBA table which is very hard to do.

@rama:
I also noticed now that GSdx randomly puts several game textures which aren't even related to eachother in one single output texture.
I think that's due to the funky upload way you were talking about.

It might be easier to manipulate the textures in GSdx's texture cache directly, but I don't know how, and beside that, I can't even code anything with directX or OpenGL =/

@nexxxus oh....i guess ps2 games are more complex to add extra mods unlike wii or pc games............nyway keep trying....this is gona be a very complex task for you and if u do manage to get it working please share the info with us on how u did it.....Smile
I don't think I'll be able to do that.
There is no working rebuilder so far.

even if there was a rebuilder I dunno how this would work. you can't simply change texture resolution for the ps2 data. how'd that work with the regular RAM, transfer and GS memory specs? you'd run outta space, bandwidth and vu-sync. hacking the GSDX would work tho, but you'd have to identify the textures (that's the most important part) and load the HD version (this could even be a compressed DX format - for size) instead of transfering the ps2 data.
Right, and to do that you have to get around GSdx's texture cache.
(Might as well drop the idea now, as sorry as I am about that Tongue2 )