fullscreen performance
Hey guys, I recently noticed that the emulator (latest 1.4 stable build) have some performance impact depending on window resolution(performance oscilates between 90~100%). Everytime I go fullscreen or maximize the window I have some performance impact. A workaround that I found for games like rogue galaxy and Final Fantasy 12 to run at constant 100% on my notebook was activating the low resolution in compatibility mode when I open the emulator to play... the problem is that my monitor is widescreen and doesn't stretch the image to all screen extension. Oh yeah, I always play at native resolution for performance reasons and because I really don't care to play in the original ps2 looks, since my notebook have a small screen.

I'm just posting this to give you guys some feedback and with hope that someone may have a better way to fix this problem. 

My notebook is an Asus N53sm, w/ intel i5 2450m, 6gb ram and gt630m gpu.

I tested hardware and software modes and all the renderer options.

Screens:

Sponsored links

Do you have Vsync enabled? Try disabling it, I noticed a massive performance hit with it was enabled in full screen.

Also i know the admins will say this.

Please post screens of your PCSX2 config and add them to the first post, it'll better help us assist you.
Intel Core i7-8700k @5ghz
G.Skill 16GB DDR4 @3600mhz
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
Windows 10 x64
[attachment=58878 Wrote:hellbringer616 pid='503936' dateline='1453476441']Do you have Vsync enabled? Try disabling it, I noticed a massive performance hit with it was enabled in full screen.

Also i know the admins will say this.

Please post screens of your PCSX2 config and add them to the first post, it'll better help us assist you.

Yeah, it is disabled on pcsx2. I'll check the nvidia control panel. By the way, I fixed the aspect ratio in low resolution mode in my notebook, so its everything running smooth now in most games I play.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Please read careful this issue:

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1075
(01-25-2016, 01:01 PM)gregory Wrote: Please read careful this issue:

https://github.com/PCSX2/pcsx2/issues/1075

So OpenGL actually uses exclusive fullscreen! Please don't remove that, or offer it as an option  Tongue . However I have observed the strangely reduced performance.

It seems to be caused by a weird mix of GPU load and monitor refresh rate. For example, DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 in the City map, at 6x native resolution and 60Hz. Windowed -> 60% GPU load. Fullscreen -> reduced GPU load and forced 30fps. At 4x native I don't have that problem. However, at 120Hz I can push the resolution to 6x native in fullscreen with no ptoblem. At 8x native, it's fullspeed in a window just by a bit, with 99% GPU load. In fullscreen, a lot less fps (I can't count the fps because RTSS doesn't work in PCSX2 with OpenGL) and between 60 and 75% GPU load.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming WiFi
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz CL30 DDR5
Monitor: Asus PG278QR
The window is created by the core. Code is 100% identical between dx and opengl.

The only diff is the behavior of the drivers...
(01-25-2016, 11:56 PM)gregory Wrote: The window is created by the core. Code is 100% identical between dx and opengl.

The only diff is the behavior of the drivers...

pretty sure is mixture of both driver issue and pcsx2, atlest the forcing of fullscreen  exlusive. which my test i posted in there proved.

considering
353.62 + 223b7da
was windowed fullscreen

and

353.62 + ac0d7f7 
was fullscreen exclusive

and current 361.43 do it regardless to builds something in pcsx2 changed between 223b7da and ac0d7f7

there no new drivers to test and as far as i can tell even new builds have the issue if it was just driver issue going back to 353.62 would result in pcsx2 using windowed exclusive Again this issue ONLY happens if 16:9 or Stretched is set in pcsx2 4:3 mode is uneffect. till some one else test what i posted in there, i am convinced it both a nvidia issue and something in pscx2 that changed
Or an unrelated update trigger the code in the driver based on wrong heuristics. If you can find the offending commit, then I can look at it. Otherwise it is impossible to find what happen.
there are to many commit between 223b7da and ac0d7f7 (1000+ commits?) all i know is if IT was just drivers both  builds would do windowed fullscreen, using 353.62 which they dont, Nor can i be the only person to be able to test it, I updated git problem ask someone else to test what i found, but no one seem to want to test probably 3rd time i ask there. i also the one that found out it not just driver issue.

It would be simpler for some on windows 10 64 bit, and use 353.62 that knows what they doing check ac0d7f7 find out why IT forces fullscreen why 223b7da does not.

maybe it 16:9 and Stretch that changed some how in opengl and not that actual opengl code.

Till some else test what i ask and show the results, and proves me wrong, it both drivers and a pcsx2 change cause using 361.43 and 223b7da prove its a driver issue with  newer drivers, but 353.62 with ac0d7f7 (fullscreen exclusive) proves it pcsx2 issue cause the 353.62 with 223b7da (windowed fullscreen) and nothing in the drivers settings changed between the testing of the 2

if the number scheme on gits was not a mess i might be willing to  go threw them all, git page listing should ignore the GIT random number and just keep the numbering going up instead of v1.5.0-dev-116-g44f1281 , v1.5.0-dev-117-g807ec04 it should be v1.5.0-dev-116 , v1.5.0-dev-117 or better yet "PCSX2 GIT v1.5.0 - ##### so should folder structure and the EXE should say PCSX2 Git####.exe

then again i never understood why switch to GIT made this impossible
(01-26-2016, 10:29 PM)tsunami2311 Wrote: there are to many commit between 223b7da and ac0d7f7 (1000+ commits?) all i know is if IT was just drivers both  builds would do windowed fullscreen, using 353.62 which they dont, Nor can i be the only person to be able to test it, I updated git problem ask someone else to test what i found, but no one seem to want to test probably 3rd time i ask there. i also the one that found out it not just driver issue.

It would be simpler for some on  windows 10 64 bit, and use 353.62 that knows what they doing check ac0d7f7 find out why IT forces fullscreen why 223b7da does not.

maybe it 16:9 and Stretch that changed some how in opengl and not that actual opengl code.

Till some else test what i ask and show the results, and proves me wrong, it both drivers and a pcsx2 change cause using 361.43 and 223b7da prove its a driver issue with  newer drivers, but 353.62 with ac0d7f7 (fullscreen exclusive) proves it pcsx2 issue cause the 353.62 with 223b7da (windowed fullscreen) and nothing in the drivers settings changed between the testing of the 2

if the number scheme on gits was not a mess i might be willing to  go threw them all, git page listing should ignore the GIT random number and just keep the numbering going up instead of v1.5.0-dev-116-g44f1281 , v1.5.0-dev-117-g807ec04 it should be v1.5.0-dev-116 , v1.5.0-dev-117 or better yet "PCSX2 GIT v1.5.0 - ##### so should folder structure and the EXE should say PCSX2 Git####.exe

then again i never understood why switch to GIT made this impossible

I may test it this week... I just dont do now because I'm travelling with a slow internet connection to download stuff for testing.