god of war / god of war 2 full fps with software renderer
Hi i'm new to pcsx2 scene so sorry if this has been said already.

I own a ps2 and i wanted to test some games on the emulator in order to see if i will be able to play them at better resolution than the original console.

Unfortunately this is not the case of both gow and gow2, you all know, the green screen, so it must be run in software mode, so no better resolution.
by the way i've noticed very poor performances, i got 24 fps with the hacks (gow 2 inital screen).
but i've noticed also that my 4.2ghz overclocked xeon cpu was doing almost nothing, 4 core + 4 hyper thread at 20% load, something was wrong...

i've changed the value inside the file GSdx.ini in my inis folder.

Code:
extrathreads=10

i found that values between 10 and 12 gives the best performances for me, i've gone from 24 to 80 fps!! now the game is smooth 100% everywhere (well i've played only the first 10 minutes of both gow and gow2).
reading on various threads they say to put a value lower than you max cores, that was not true for me, performance increases up to 12, then it start decreasing.

the start screen of gow2 is heavier than in game, at least at the beginning i get up to 90 fps during the initial fight.

i'm using the latest 5731 build, GSdx5727 sse4.1 directx11 software mode.

speedhacks as on the screen below, if you have a good pc you may even try to disable them completely or lower the 2 sliders to minimum (as default)

all the rest is "default"

[Image: gowsoft.jpg]

so basically have a look on your task manager when you run games in software mode, you mast have at least 65/70% load on all cores, else you have to increase that value from the ini until you find the magic one. the start screen on gow2 is a nice benchmark cause is static.

best

Sponsored links

Very nice trick . :-)
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(10-02-2013, 05:56 PM)typh00n Wrote: Unfortunately this is not the case of both gow and gow2, you all know, the green screen, so it must be run in software mode, so no better resolution.
I don't knwo which version you have, but this "Green screen" only appears when you have a non-recognized version.

When I last tried both, they were working perfectly in hardware mode.

Quote:by the way i've noticed very poor performances, i got 24 fps with the hacks (gow 2 inital screen).
with those speedhacks settings, it's not surprising.

Quote:but i've noticed also that my 4.2ghz overclocked xeon cpu was doing almost nothing, 4 core + 4 hyper thread at 20% load, something was wrong...

your GPU could be the culprit

Quote:i found that values between 10 and 12 gives the best performances for me, i've gone from 24 to 80 fps!!
if you are refering to what is deisplayed in gsdx titlebar, those are'nt accurate at all if you are using speedhacks.
Quote:now the game is smooth 100% everywhere (well i've played only the first 10 minutes of both gow and gow2).
You made my day with that nonsense Laugh

Thanks for trying to contribute. But you just found 1 settings combination that works for you only (or at least for 10 minutes Laugh).

Pushing speedhacks that high (without enabling MTVU ????) is a bad idea and will cause crashes, glitches, clipping problems, etc...

oh well... at least, you tried to bring something, and we shall thank you for that.
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
(10-02-2013, 09:41 PM)jesalvein Wrote: I don't knwo which version you have, but this "Green screen" only appears when you have a non-recognized version.

When I last tried both, they were working perfectly in hardware mode.

do you have us versions?

Quote:with those speedhacks settings, it's not surprising.

without speed hacks i do less than 20

Quote:
your GPU could be the culprit

my gpu is fine, thanks for your interest

Quote:if you are refering to what is deisplayed in gsdx titlebar, those are'nt accurate at all if you are using speedhacks.

i don't need to see that value to hear the stretched audio trying to stay in sync with a 20fps emulation, by the way i have same value with fraps, while the loads are not accurate the fps is quite accurate.

Quote:You made my day with that nonsense Laugh

happy to be funny for you.

Quote:Thanks for trying to contribute. But you just found 1 settings combination that works for you only (or at least for 10 minutes Laugh).

i just say that you can go over the suggested value for the threads, as i said if i put a small number my cpu works less, and my fps are lower.
I'm quite sure it works for most people btw you are free to give it a try...

Quote:Pushing speedhacks that high (without enabling MTVU ????) is a bad idea and will cause crashes, glitches, clipping problems, etc...

was just for test, with speed hacks at DEFAULT settings i was getting less than 20fps without the ini modification, after the ini modification i get 67 fps, so for me it's playpable without the speed hacks.
if i enable MTVU i get less fps, because i've read you have to free up more cpu for the mtvu to work correctly, probably with mtvu in order to get higher dps i need a lower number in the ini for the threads.

Quote:oh well... at least, you tried to bring something, and we shall thank you for that.

at least, i've found a way to play those 2 games by myself, by the way if you can help me running them in hardware mode i will really appreciate it, else i'm going to play those on the console if i'm not able to play on pc at higher resolution.
If you want to play those two game in hardware mode then just download pcsx2 1.0.0 and then put ee and vu sliders to 2 and your game work fine for your pc.
Core i3 9100f 3.6Ghz
RAM=8GB
nvidia GT 1030
pcsx2 version-1.3.1  
(10-02-2013, 11:43 PM)typh00n Wrote: do you have us versions?
nope. And neither do you from what I see on your screenshot.
Quote:without speed hacks i do less than 20
that is weird since I get perfect results with my rig (which shouldn't be that more powerful than yours)
Quote:my gpu is fine, thanks for your interest
what kind of GpU is it ?

Quote:by the way i have same value with fraps, while the loads are not accurate the fps is quite accurate.
fraps reading are accurate. so that's fine
Quote:happy to be funny for you.
of course it's funny. you said it's working "everywhere", and then admit you tested it only for 10 minutes

Quote:i just say that you can go over the suggested value for the threads, as i said if i put a small number my cpu works less, and my fps are lower.
I'm quite sure it works for most people btw you are free to give it a try...
I did try. as I expected, It slows the game down...
Quote:if i enable MTVU i get less fps, because i've read you have to free up more cpu for the mtvu to work correctly, probably with mtvu in order to get higher dps i need a lower number in the ini for the threads.
true since it uses an extra thread to handle the VUs. If you are already pushing the software rendering to 10 extra threads, that won't be effective.
Quote:at least, i've found a way to play those 2 games by myself, by the way if you can help me running them in hardware mode i will really appreciate it, else i'm going to play those on the console if i'm not able to play on pc at higher resolution.
What bugs me is that "green screen" you're getting. Can you confirm you're getting this glitch in both GoW & GoW2 ?
Care to post the emulog for each game ?
i have a gtx 470, in hardware mode i get 120+ fps.

here are the logs
you have to wait to be really in-game to get green, when you have control of your char.

gow

Code:
PCSX2 1.1.0.r5730  - compiled on Sep 14 2013
Savestate version: 0x9a0a0000

Host Machine Init:
    Operating System =  Microsoft Windows 7  Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
    Physical RAM     =  12279 MB
    CPU name         =  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           W3540  @ 2.93GHz
    Vendor/Model     =  GenuineIntel (stepping 05)
    CPU speed        =  4.208 ghz (8 logical threads)
    x86PType         =  Standard OEM
    x86Flags         =  bfebfbff 009ce3bd
    x86EFlags        =  28100000

x86 Features Detected:
    MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2

Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
    Binding   GS: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\GSdx32-SSE4-r5727.dll
Windows 6.1.7601 (Service Pack 1 1.0)
    Binding  PAD: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\LilyPad.dll
    Binding SPU2: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\SPU2-X-r5731.dll
    Binding CDVD: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\cdvdGigaherz-r5692.dll
    Binding  USB: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\USBnull-r5684.dll
    Binding   FW: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\FWnull-r5684.dll
    Binding DEV9: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\DEV9null-r5684.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

(GameDB) 9645 games on record (loaded in 134ms)
HLE Notice: ELF does not have a path.

Initializing plugins...
    Init GS
    Init PAD
    Init SPU2
    Init CDVD
    Init USB
    Init FW
    Init DEV9
Plugins initialized successfully.

Opening plugins...
    Opening GS
    Opening PAD
    Opening SPU2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (9.18.13.2049)
    Opening CDVD
isoFile open ok: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\isos\GOD_OF_WAR.ISO
    Image type  = DVD
* CDVD Disk Open: DVD, Single layer or unknown:
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (1749927 sectors)
    Opening USB
    Opening FW
    Opening DEV9
McdSlot 0: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\memcards\Mcd001.ps2
McdSlot 1: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\memcards\Mcd002.ps2
Plugins opened successfully.
EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
    Bios Found: Europe  v02.00(04/11/2004)  Console
    BIOS rom1 module not found, skipping...
    BIOS rom2 module not found, skipping...
    BIOS erom module not found, skipping...
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to NTSC.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 59.94 fps
(UpdateVSyncRate) Mode Changed to PAL.
(UpdateVSyncRate) FPS Limit Changed : 50.00 fps

gow 2

Code:
PCSX2 1.1.0.r5730  - compiled on Sep 14 2013
Savestate version: 0x9a0a0000

Host Machine Init:
    Operating System =  Microsoft Windows 7  Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 64-bit
    Physical RAM     =  12279 MB
    CPU name         =  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           W3540  @ 2.93GHz
    Vendor/Model     =  GenuineIntel (stepping 05)
    CPU speed        =  4.208 ghz (8 logical threads)
    x86PType         =  Standard OEM
    x86Flags         =  bfebfbff 009ce3bd
    x86EFlags        =  28100000

x86 Features Detected:
    MMX.. SSE.. SSE2.. SSE3.. SSSE3.. SSE4.1.. SSE4.2

Reserving memory for recompilers...

Loading plugins...
    Binding   GS: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\GSdx32-SSE4-r5727.dll
    Binding  PAD: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\LilyPad.dll
    Binding SPU2: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\SPU2-X-r5731.dll
    Binding CDVD: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\cdvdGigaherz-r5692.dll
    Binding  USB: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\USBnull-r5684.dll
    Binding   FW: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\FWnull-r5684.dll
    Binding DEV9: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\plugins\DEV9null-r5684.dll
Plugins loaded successfully.

(GameDB) 9645 games on record (loaded in 137ms)
HLE Notice: ELF does not have a path.

Initializing plugins...
    Init GS
    Init PAD
    Init SPU2
    Init CDVD
    Init USB
    Init FW
    Init DEV9
Plugins initialized successfully.

Opening plugins...
    Opening GS
    Opening PAD
    Opening SPU2
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 (9.18.13.2049)
    Opening CDVD
isoFile open ok: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\isos\GOW2PAL.ISO
    Image type  = DVD
* CDVD Disk Open: DVD, Single layer or unknown:
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (2263488 sectors)
    Opening USB
    Opening FW
    Opening DEV9
McdSlot 0: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\memcards\Mcd001.ps2
McdSlot 1: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\pcsx2-5731-windows-x86\memcards\Mcd002.ps2
Plugins opened successfully.
EE/iR5900-32 Recompiler Reset
    Bios Found: Europe  v02.00(04/11/2004)  Console
    BIOS rom1 module not found, skipping...
    BIOS rom2 module not found, skipping...
    BIOS erom module not found, skipping...

tried also using US bios, no changes, can you please tell me how you got rid of the green in hardware mode? if i read on compatibility list it looks the only way is to have ntsc version of the game.
thanks

(10-03-2013, 03:31 AM)Brock lessner Wrote: If you want to play those two game in hardware mode then just download pcsx2 1.0.0 and then put ee and vu sliders to 2 and your game work fine for your pc.

yeah, Hulk mode works fine in hardware mode Smile
and with the latest stable release in software mode is even slower.
i would like to sort it out btw.
thanks
I suggest you re-rip your DVDs using imgburn.
You didn't make your isos correctly since those are DVD9 games.
no changes with the unpatched/unripped dvd9 versions still green on both games.

Code:
isoFile open ok: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\isos\God of War II (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Ru).iso
    Image type  = DVD
isoFile: searching for layer1...
isoFile: loaded second layer from settings cache, sector=0x001fc090
* CDVD Disk Open: DVD, Double layer:
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (4093488 sectors)

same with gow

Code:
isoFile open ok: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\isos\God of War (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).iso
    Image type  = DVD
isoFile: loaded second layer from settings cache, sector=0x001d0630
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (3915344 sectors)

that is not the problem. it's something else.
btw, wasted already enough time i give up.

just realized they are both available on ps3 too at 20€, i'll use ps3.
(10-03-2013, 10:57 AM)typh00n Wrote: tried also using US bios, no changes, can you please tell me how you got rid of the green in hardware mode? if i read on compatibility list it looks the only way is to have ntsc version of the game.
thanks

hmm how many PS2's do you have?

(10-04-2013, 11:50 AM)typh00n Wrote:
Code:
isoFile open ok: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\isos\God of War II (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Ru).iso
    Image type  = DVD
isoFile: loaded second layer from settings cache, sector=0x001fc090
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (4093488 sectors)

same with gow

Code:
isoFile open ok: F:\++Emulators++\ps2\isos\God of War (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).iso
    Image type  = DVD
isoFile: loaded second layer from settings cache, sector=0x001d0630
* * Track 1: Data (Mode 1) (3915344 sectors)

Maybe its just me, but who would name their iso's :God of War (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It).iso or God of War II (Europe, Australia) (En,Fr,De,Es,It,Ru).iso , this smells of piracy if you ask me.