Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
gpu upgrade advice?
Anyone know the best gpu for pcsx2 and general power at bestbuy? i can spend up 2 200. my current system specs are in my sig
Excl3.07ghz Core I3 540, 8gb ddr3 ram , 1tb 7200 hardrive, Ati Radeon HD 5770, windows 7 home premiumExcl

Sponsored links

The best for what exactly? I'd say go for the highest you can afford but you may want to specify what is it you want it for.

Not related to plugins... moved.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
anything above a 9800 GTX will be enough.
pcsx2 is really more CPU dependant
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go
I'd go for a GTX460.
Nvidia works better with pcsx2.
[Image: 1454055.png]
better as in? this is a honest out of curiosity question since I don't have any problem whatsoever with my ATi card. 460 is a good card and one of the better option, I agree though.
Better framerates in general with similar specs (refer to GPU benchmarking thread). However, its not like anyone plays PS2 games above 60fps (you're insane if you do as that's not the way its meant to be played). Well, it helps by letting you use a higher internal rendering resolution to achieve clearer quality. Overall, a 8800 GTX, 9800 GTX would do fine. If you want to make use of the entire 200bucks, go for a GTX 460 (preferably 1GB memory if possible). Although I'd check to see what kind of psu you have to make sure it'll run it (the 6-pin, 8-pin connector, etc, as well as the wattage). From the looks of the specs and setup (8GB ddr3 ram), it looks like a branded PC, I'd also check to see if there's enough room to fit the card (if it's a slim one, say goodbye to anything good).Branded PCs with a integrated graphics chip usually only have a 300watts psu supplied, which is not ideal for running something like 8800 GTX, 9800 GTX. However, it should run 8600 GT, 9600 GT fine without problem (basically the mid-tier stuff, GTX 260, etc). If you want ATI, I'd suggest 5770, 4870, 4850, somewhere around there.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
I would suggest letting aside ATI vs Nvidia since both are good and both can be used successfully and concentrate in what is better for your actual mother board's chipset.
Imagination is where we are truly real
I think it is still a valid question regarding whether ATi is worse than nvidia in pcsx2. What exactly is the problem or negative of ATi card with pcsx2? this could affect me and people decision later on.

Of course, I don't notice any problem with my current ATi card hence need some clearance here.
No one exactly knows.
The most likely reason NV hardware runs better with GSdx is that the author of it used
NV hardware when tweaking various functions. He had to make several choices that
affected the performance for the better on his computer. These choices may have been
bad for ATI hardware.
Or it could simply be the fact that NV optimizes their cards more for pixel throughput
which is exactly what *we* (but rarely PC games) need.
:/ so the problem is; with the same tier of card (in term of power) between nvidia and ati, nvidia card will be faster? well as long as it isn't (severe) graphical bug or massive performance difference, I think it's okay. Tongue2

of course, i don't really care for either company, i'll buy what is the best, for my need and my wallet, at the moment. Wink