Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how about splitting n64 roms :P
Thumbs Up 
I started out by removing 900kb of data from the banjo tooie rom with
file splitter (copied the size of the rom in properties, and then subtracted 900kb)
the left over bit that was left from the split I just deleted (chunk002)

at the removal of 900kb of data I would see a black screen, but the fps
was showing but then frooze, same for removing 800,700,600,500,
400,300 kilobytes. when I got to the 200kb mark I saw a error saying
unknown opcode then it crashed. Then when I got to the 100kb mark,
the game started booting up. It does however have saving issues on some settings (which I don't know off Tongue)

if anyone is interested in reducing the size of the game while still allowing
it to be playable then resort to my method, but its still a bit pointless
though,
lets talkRolleyes
For every person, there is always a hidden secracy, fantasy is mearly a creative works of such people. My official nickname is spyone7stars.

Sponsored links

... What are you trying to achieve here?
Obviously you'll get all sorts of errors by simply dropping parts of a rom image.
Yes,when you think about it,IT is pointless. And of course the game will have problems.Developers wouldn't put code if it isn't required.
I feel like I stepped into a topic from 1980 Biggrin
PSP games have alot of "dummy.***" files I'm not savy on n64 structure but I'd bet there's a few of them in there sometimes.
N64 games were notoriously storage constrained. Each additional MB of ROM would cost a ton.
Therefore I doubt that N64 roms waste any space at all.
(11-16-2010, 01:06 AM)Saiki Wrote: PSP games have alot of "dummy.***" files I'm not savy on n64 structure but I'd bet there's a few of them in there sometimes.

PSP, PS2 etc games have dummy files in there for a reason, not to waste space. It is purposely done to push the game data to the outer side of the disc/media as that is where it can be read fastest! (due to rotational velocity being higher on the outside).

Roms/carts do not need this as they are static storage, it doesnt matter where in its memory the data is, it's just as quick.
[Image: ref_sig_anim.gif]
Like our Facebook Page and visit our Facebook Group!
(11-16-2010, 01:53 PM)refraction Wrote:
(11-16-2010, 01:06 AM)Saiki Wrote: PSP games have alot of "dummy.***" files I'm not savy on n64 structure but I'd bet there's a few of them in there sometimes.

PSP, PS2 etc games have dummy files in there for a reason, not to waste space. It is purposely done to push the game data to the outer side of the disc/media as that is where it can be read fastest! (due to rotational velocity being higher on the outside).

Roms/carts do not need this as they are static storage, it doesnt matter where in its memory the data is, it's just as quick.
it's there on purpose to waste space, just to speed things up, it's still a waste where they could have added more code, no game has lag issues anyway (except Dynasty warriors 5.. but that's another story)
Maybe they first get the code working then arrange it to be optimal for loading, would be a waste if they get the same code and don't arrange it and you don't get dummy data and get worse load times Tongue2
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
I've seen features removed for dummy data (.hack parody mode anyone?) and loading times are a natural thing these days (ps3/xbox360 still have them, psp with the same speed as the ps2 has a little as well, not much though. but the lazer in the umd reader sucks, ISOs load almost instantly), I'd rather see more packed into a game that makes sense than see a bunch of dummy data