i have an idea
(04-03-2009, 07:24 PM)ca36gtp Wrote: I get my 16-core 8.7GHz Intel CPU in 2015!
optimistic you are. Laugh
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja

Sponsored links

Yeah, I doubt it'd be enough for fullspeed ps3 emulation Tongue2
i see you people like the idea
(04-03-2009, 07:33 PM)rama Wrote: Yeah, I doubt it'd be enough for fullspeed ps3 emulation Tongue2
but you never know Tongue
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
What's sad is that in a few more years there will no longer be a need to emulate anything. You may say that emulation's "golden days" are almost over now.
You mean by the idea that everything will use a Direct-X like API and some intermediate language (MSIL / Java Bytecode), so at that point any hardware can run any software so long as the API / bytecode is universally supported?
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(04-03-2009, 07:52 PM)Air Wrote: You mean by the idea that everything will use a Direct-X like API and some intermediate language (MSIL / Java Bytecode), so at that point any hardware can run any software so long as the API / bytecode is universally supported?

That would be way too much to hope, it basically would ruin an idea of 'commerce' and 'income'. Smile I think developers are going into opposite direction instead.

What I meant is (in regards to gaming platforms) newest consoles already nullify all the advantages current emulators have to offer when compared to the hardware they emulate, like unlimited space with harddrives, better graphics, fast loading times etc etc. Many of the games today are cross-platformed. And add to that the fact any today's console is 20357923904 times harder to accurately emulate than consoles of the previous generations and even if emulated, would require 10 times better hardware Smile
Playstation 3 today is already beyond "console" running linux and stuff. Not so long ago I heard some CERN proffessor ordered 50 PS3 units to equip their data centre Smile
Well you could always buy a cell add-in card to do your emulation. Not really cost effective at the moment though.
Ah, yeah. That consoles are basically just becoming personal computers, you mean. And it's true. The console scene will die, although I suspect handhelds will continue to have an emulator scene for some years after the consoles no longer have one.

The consoles have a distinct hardware advantage, in performance terms, because they don't need to be backwards compat with old software. This allows them to use very intelligent instruction sets and new "experimental" multi-processor designs that are much more efficient usually than an x86-based cpu.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
Yeah I was sort of hoping they would be smart and when they made the transition to 64-bit procs they would cut most of the backward compatibility from the procs thus allowing them to be more efficient but no such luck.