i5-4670K with PCSX2 and Dolphin?
hi all,

ive been itching to start a new htpc build

i want it as small as possible and therefore i have no room for a dedicated gpu

i was wondering how, possibly clocked at 4ghz and some integrated gpu tweaking (if at all necessary), would an i5-4670K handle PCSX2 and Dolphin emulation?

if i were to pair it with 2133mhz memory would that help?

i want to play the games at 100% with 60fps

is it possible?

if not i wont bother building a system for dolphin/pcsx2, but simply a cheaper one for n64 and below and just wait for Broadwell

kind regards~

Sponsored links

(03-15-2014, 12:21 AM)pcsx2forums Wrote: hi all,

ive been itching to start a new htpc build

i want it as small as possible and therefore i have no room for a dedicated gpu

i was wondering how, possibly clocked at 4ghz and some integrated gpu tweaking (if at all necessary), would an i5-4670K handle PCSX2 and Dolphin emulation?

if i were to pair it with 2133mhz memory would that help?

i want to play the games at 100% with 60fps

is it possible?

if not i wont bother building a system for dolphin/pcsx2, but simply a cheaper one for n64 and below and just wait for Broadwell

kind regards~

CPU is more than enough for pcsx2. Over clocking would be a nice bonus as well.

However using your intergrated gpu will bottleneck you and limit your res to native. I suggest getting a dedicated GPU.

RAM with the intregrated GPU will help but it still is ddr3 which is limited in badwidth.
System Specs
CPU:AMD FX 8350 3.5ghz turbo to 4ghz
GPU: Sapphire HD 7750 GDDR5
MOBO:Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Rev 5.0
RAM: 8GB
Well if you can wait for Broadwell.. why not... but it is still one year. And if the gpu of broadwell will be much better is still questionable, or?

I think the APU's of AMD are better but in any case the question is also if you want to increase the internal resolution. If not you can probably play most of the games in software mode without any need of a gpu. But if you want to increase the internal resolution to 3x or even 4x it might need a dedicated card...
(03-15-2014, 12:32 AM)Black Ops Wrote: CPU is more than enough for pcsx2. Over clocking would be a nice bonus as well.

However using your intergrated gpu will bottleneck you and limit your res to native. I suggest getting a dedicated GPU.

RAM with the intregrated GPU will help but it still is ddr3 which is limited in badwidth.

(03-15-2014, 12:33 AM)willkuer Wrote: Well if you can wait for Broadwell.. why not... but it is still one year. And if the gpu of broadwell will be much better is still questionable, or?

I think the APU's of AMD are better but in any case the question is also if you want to increase the internal resolution. If not you can probably play most of the games in software mode without any need of a gpu. But if you want to increase the internal resolution to 3x or even 4x it might need a dedicated card...

are there any examples of people running on integrated Haswell only?

whats the difference between software mode and the other mode/s?

i would be happy with 720p output (im assuming 2x?)

another question, are the pcs2x and dolphin the most intensive emulators? ive heard the saturn has some crazy coding but i really wanted to play panzer dragoon saga and radiant silvergun

i really want to avoid a dedicated gpu as i really want a tiny setup Sad

also final question, how large are emulated ps2/wii games?
Depends on the game. Different games are different sizes though they useually range from 2-5GB.
[Image: gmYzFII.png]
[Image: dvedn3-5.png]
(03-15-2014, 12:33 AM)willkuer Wrote: Well if you can wait for Broadwell.. why not... but it is still one year. And if the gpu of broadwell will be much better is still questionable, or?

so even though the amd apu has a far worse cpu than haswell, due to its superior gpu you would go for that? i thought the most important thing was cpu speed when it comes to emulation? so you think the AMD Kaveri 7850K would be better at emulating than an i5-4650k?
The problem with integrated GPU (especially with Haswell) is not that it's too weak (is it weak, but mostly it should be enough for native resolution), but rather that it "shares" the TDP with the CPU.

So take an i5-4200u for example, it's 15W TDP. Now, if you use a discrete GPU, then the CPU could have the 15W mostly for the CPU cores, but if you use the integrated hd4400, then these 15W would split between the CPU and the GPU, and the GPU usually takes more than the CPU, so you end up with considerably less powerful CPU when you use the integrated GPU (yes, except for short bursts, it will settle on exactly 15W power usage even if you have water cooling).

So for PCSX2, where the CPU is very important, you would end up with very weak performance if you use the integrated GPU, especially if it's from the ULV series (u).
[quote='pcsx2forums' pid='360703' dateline='1394838866']

another question, are the pcsx2 and dolphin the most intensive emulators?

for pcsx2 it can depend on the games, some need a really good setup, whilst others don't
pcsx2 never uses more than 14 % of my processor

as for the dolphin emulator, i've personally found the latest version of it doesn't work very well, might be my setup Blush as for processor usage, hm, it uses similar but again that's my setup , iirc it does make my graphics card speed up a fair bit

ive heard the saturn has some crazy coding but i really wanted to play panzer dragoon saga and radiant silvergun

sega's saturn really only has one good emulator and that's SSF, the others that are still available are quite old and probably won't run on any of the latest operating systems/pc's, also you'll need to rip the bios from your saturn machine for ssf to work

i really want to avoid a dedicated gpu as i really want a tiny setup Sad

onboard graphics as far as i know aren't terrible, they just don't have the oomph that a full sized card has ,i'm sure their are small variations of full sized cards that will fit an mini atx case, just don't expect to run crysis at big resolutions Smile

also final question, how large are emulated ps2/wii games?
depends on which games you rip, some ps2 games are cd sized ( 650-700mb )
Dvd rips are usually anything from 2 gig -8 gigabytes

as for Wii games, again some can be upto 7.5 gigabytes
Not sure what graphics card you have, it's memory bandwidth,
it's temperature, fan speed, what pixel shader it has
try TechPowerUp's gpu-z

Not sure what your cpu is try cpu-z
       (hint click on the highlighted links Biggrin)
what does it mean to rip a bios? ive got a saturn which is playing up a little.. sega rally sometimes freezes and the cars fly up in the air.. really want to play it with a higher res without freezing.

thank you for all your help!

my concern now is whether to go intel or amd

intel of course with the better cpu speed (i5-4670k) or the amd with the better gpu 7850k

which is the better option for emulation?

what is a ulv series?
How small are you trying to go? My friend has a DGPU in a mini ITX case.

Mini ITX boards are 17cm² (6.7in²).
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD