Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ingame cutscene technology
lets take MGS3 as an example. Clearly cutscenes have more details and are much demanding to emulate than real gameplay.
The question is:
for what possible reason developers decide to use lower quality models in game, since ps2 hardware can handle more?
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64

Sponsored links

if they use a more detailed model then the size of the game would be bigger..
or maybe they didn't have any space left on the disc and it's such a nuisance to make a 2 disc game..
and the cost to make it and time..

well i would like to see final fantasy series model looks exactly like the FMV..
[Image: 871087.png]

*Mio sees a ghost for the first time*
Mio: Aaaaaaah!! x_x
Seriously, the way she acts, you'd think she grew up with ghosts.
nope. if they already have texture and model for cut-scene, they can use it in game and it will not affect size of the disk. Texture is a file, it is not going to increase total size depending on the usage of this file.
Phenom II X4 940 3 Ghz / 8 gb RAM 800 / Geforce GTX 460 / win7 64
perhaps, I think, that cutscenes are a lot more predictable in terms of what they demand from the hardware, so detail can be added in until the game engine is at its limits.

on the other hand, gameplay can be sort of unpredictable with what you can cause to happen on-screen; lower quality in-game models is a way to maintain framerate/performance. not to mention other stuff happening besides graphics... like AI, physics (if any), sounds, etc...
agree but i think it's because ps2 hardware have some limitations to it?
duh i'm not good at this kinda topic Tongue

btw did u play GOW3?
the graphics is awesome
[Image: 871087.png]

*Mio sees a ghost for the first time*
Mio: Aaaaaaah!! x_x
Seriously, the way she acts, you'd think she grew up with ghosts.
I'm not sure the cutscenes in MGS are more detailed than ingame.. care to post some screen shots for comparison? Off the top of my head, it's the same visual quality, but just more types of animations (which are long sequences of motion capture).

Generally speaking real-time rendered cutscenes (and sometimes replays) require less resources because they don't have to handle AI, responsiveness, ingame computation stuff etc, it's just playback of a recording. E.g. racing in GT3/4 in PCSX2 use more-CPU/less-FPS than replays playback of these exact races.
[i7-3630qm/gt650m-2G/Win-7] [i7-4500u/R.HD8850m/Win-8.1] [2010-MBA/OSX-10.9.x]. Scroll smoothly with SmoothWheel for Firefox.
(07-21-2010, 08:24 PM)avih Wrote: I'm not sure the cutscenes in MGS are more detailed than ingame.. care to post some screen shots for comparison?

IN-GAME screenshots (only 2, heh)...

CUTSCENE screenshots...

At least to me, Snake's fingers seem more detailed in the cutscenes.
In-game, his fingers seem... blocky.
I think the details are just the same. Just the camera is far away, and in the cut-scenes is more closed.

The cutscenes ask for more power, because the cutscenes are ALWAYS the same, so the developers can add details to the point the hardware says "no more please".
But ingame is VERY unpredictable, in lots of places the hardware can run perfectly the game at 50%. But the player can always put the camera JUST in the correct place to make the hardware "scream".
(07-21-2010, 09:16 PM)patrickdinh Wrote: ...
At least to me, Snake's fingers seem more detailed in the cutscenes.
In-game, his fingers seem... blocky.
Indeed, that's how it looks. However, some 3D engines use dynamic LOD, which reduces the details of objects the further away they are from the "camera" for the sake of a faster rendering process. It could be the issue here, or, you might be right as well. Still, in-game requires more resources than just rendering a 3D scene, and also, as others said, it's more unexpected than a preset scene, so it might also be a cause.

Regardless, IMO MGS looks pretty good in-game, good enough at least to not draw attention to possibly lesser quality 3D scene, at least to me.
[i7-3630qm/gt650m-2G/Win-7] [i7-4500u/R.HD8850m/Win-8.1] [2010-MBA/OSX-10.9.x]. Scroll smoothly with SmoothWheel for Firefox.
(07-21-2010, 07:19 PM)tohdom Wrote: for what possible reason developers decide to use lower quality models in game, since ps2 hardware can handle more?

Limitations of the hardware. I'm pretty sure they'd just use the higher quality models all the time if they could but it leads to performance problems, maybe problems caused by swapping textures in the limited memory, could cause crashes when it runs out of memory, etc...

As explained before cutscenes are almost always the same and it can be predicted how much it will use, but normal playing when you could have several characters all with high polygon count and high quality textures it could end up in just undesirable effects while other times you could have 1 character in the scene where it could seem like a waste.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64