Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
is 81 C on my i7 laptop is dangerous
is my i7 laptop at 81 C(peak temperature)is dangerous?????....take a look of my cooling fan....i think the fan blade is too small and too weak to cool of the heat.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Main Hub:i5-4670(3.4Ghz Factory Clocked),ATi Radeon HD7770(GDDR5+128-bit+1GB),Win 10 SL(x64),ASUS H8M-E,8GB DDR3 RAM

Sponsored links

Welcome to the world of laptops.

81c is definitely too hot, even for a laptop (which typically run pretty hot when they're on AC power and doing multimedia work) -- it won't cause outright failure but it will result in the laptop being more prone to failure over time.

Also, leep in mind that most likely the larger part of the heat generation is the GPU more-so than the i7. The GPU will cause the whole laptop's ambient temps to rise alot, which in turn causes the CPU to have overheating problems. Between the GPU core and the GDDR3/5 ram, GPUs typically generate a lot more BTUs than the CPU/DDR3 ram does, even if the GPU's individual components report as being somewhat cooler. This is because GPU ram runs much hotter than CPU ram (and is not temp-monitored).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
buy a laptop cooler (look for the ones with the big fan in the center)
and also 1 time each year you will open the laptop and clean it for good (the 1st time you do that its better to change the thermal paste also to a better one, like the arctic mx-4 that is one of the best out there)
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
(09-24-2010, 01:43 PM)tallbender Wrote: is my i7 laptop at 81 C(peak temperature)is dangerous?????....take a look of my cooling fan....i think the fan blade is too small and too weak to cool of the heat.

the fans arent getting enough air to blow too the cpu if its on a solid surface

long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.
Very true. Laptops are easily suffocated. It can make a difference if you give it space to breath and have it slightly inverted (as most stands would do) to help prevent the "trapping" of heat underneath. As with iakoboss7's advice, the proper care and consideration can ensure a longer, cooler life for your laptop.

BTW, is that "peak temperature" from a stress test, or just the usually usage playing games? If not from a stress test, I personally would look into undervolting that CPU before playing another game.
^
^
^
^
81C peak temp...when running pcsx2
41C if doing nothing.
Main Hub:i5-4670(3.4Ghz Factory Clocked),ATi Radeon HD7770(GDDR5+128-bit+1GB),Win 10 SL(x64),ASUS H8M-E,8GB DDR3 RAM
still 81 is not that good... in the future when the inside of the laptop gets more dirty and the air cant get through it will get more than 90 and that is dangerous....
OS: Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1, MoBo: Asus P5QD Turbo, CPU: Q6600 @ 3,0Ghz, RAM: Trancend 2x2gb 6-6-6-18 800 MHz, GPU: HD 4850 1gb.
Pcsx2: Always Latest
I would pop the heatsink out and apply therml paste to it (both CPU and GPU, make sure you remove the old thermal paste/pad w/ rubbing alcohol 99% pure using a microfiber cloth. Typically a bad interface between the CPU and the GPU with the heatsink can cause that huge spike of 81C when you run PCSX2). Though I'd say 81C with only 2 cores running at around 90% load is too hot. If you benchmark it w/ 4 cores running I'm sure it would hit 95C+ and go over the top.
CPU: i7 930 @ 2.8GHz(Everyday)/3.6GHz(Gaming)/4.0GHz(Encoding)
GPU: Geforce GTX 480 @ 850MHz/1001MHz
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E
RAM: 2x3 6GB OCZ @ 1527MHz 8-8-8-24
my new laptop is just almost 1 month old and now this is serious i don't have the laptop cooler w/ that large fanblade yet...currently using a laptop cooler mentioned on 1st post w/ attachment is too weak to blow out the heat i try out the non-emulation games like the MMO games.

Ran Online 72C peak. CPU 15% peak usage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ran_Online
Grand Chase 58C peak. CPU 11% peak usage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Chase
and...
when running AVG (scan whole computer) 58C~65C??? no kidding.

i'm using core temp for sneaking the CPU temp is that accurate?
this picture looks very weird, is this already a special laptop cooler or is it the buttom of your laptop? Blink
Intel 486 DX33 33Mhz
8MB EDO Ram
S3 Graphics Trio64V+
Windows 95
Running MGS3 Snake Eater fully playable @ 0.05 fps