Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
just curious
hi,i have just heard this "A free clone of the official BIOS is in development."
frm wiki.what is that mean?

Are u people making a ps2 bios???!!!!
plz give me a lnk of svn.

Sponsored links

I wonder if that's legal ...
Chicken is not Vegan?

NO VEGAN DIET NO VEGAN POWERS!!!!

http://www.flixxy.com/my-blackberry-is-not-working.htm
It was being developed a while back, but it hasn't been touched in years and never got into any kind of working state. It's an attempt to create a free BIOS for usage with PCSX2.
Edit: Yeah, should be legal as long as it was created via reverse engineering and free tools, but I'm not sure sony would be happy that people would be able to play PS2 games with PCSX2 without the need of a bios file...
[Image: newsig.jpg]
(08-17-2009, 01:36 PM)Bositman Wrote: It was being developed a while back, but it hasn't been touched in years and never got into any kind of working state. It's an attempt to create a free BIOS for usage with PCSX2.
Edit: Yeah, should be legal as long as it was created via reverse engineering and free tools, but I'm not sure sony would be happy that people would be able to play PS2 games with PCSX2 without the need of a bios file...

would u plz give me a lnk of that? and Free bios means a file created by
developer sothat one can handle pcsx2 without dumping bios frm ps2?
another question Bositman,what is reverse engineering?
Reverse Engineering: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_engineering
Fps2bios: http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/source/br...k/fps2bios
(08-17-2009, 01:36 PM)Bositman Wrote: Edit: Yeah, should be legal as long as it was created via reverse engineering and free tools, but I'm not sure sony would be happy that people would be able to play PS2 games with PCSX2 without the need of a bios file...

As long as the developers don't use any proprietary code or tools (ie the original BIOS) then Sony can't do anything about it. The original BIOS code is copyright-ed by Sony, which is why it cannot be distributed in any form. But US law is pretty clear in this area, and as long as they don't run afoul of the DMCA it's fair game.

Basically, as long as the developers don't disassemble the original BIOS and attempt to use that to make a new one, or steal documents from Sony detailing how the BIOS operates, it's in the clear. It has been done on other systems, but it usually takes years of work to match the quality and compatibility of the original.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Yeah I know that legally they wouldn't have a case, but if a corporate like Sony wants to take you down, believe me they will find loopholes Tongue
yeah i wouldn't be surprised if sony would try to take some legal action if we started distributing pcsx2 with its own reverse-engineered bios.
furthermore, there may be cases where compatibility would be effected due to incorrect implementations of the bios.

these negatives along with the difficulty of the task, make fps2bios something that's not going to be finished for along time i think.
Check out my blog: Trashcan of Code