Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
little help please...
Greetings. I kinda need to buy a new CPU and I don't know which brand works better for pcsx2. The market in my country is really small, not to mention the war, so I kinda have some very limited possibilities. Anyways my best available options are either this

INTEL CORE™ i3 3.06GHz 4MB CACHE SOK1156- 540

or that

AMD Phenom ll X4 840 3.2GHZ 2mb

My so puny experience would tell me that the AMD CPU is better for pcsx2, but it is best to hear from experts Smile

I have another issue : My GPU is Nvidia Gforce 9400 gt. I have no idea if it's enough or whether it can work along with a DDR3 RAM and these 2 processors above.

Can anyone help me please. And if the above choices would still fail to give me a "very very good" performance, then please tell me.

Sponsored links

get a phenom if u wan to go budget .buts its quad core wont gain benefit
CPU : Intel Pentium G2120 @ 3.1Ghz
RAM : 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance
Mobo : MSI Z77A-G43
GPU : Powercolor HD7790 TurboDuo 1GB
Writing a bit more to the topic.

Actually considering only pcsx2 - i3 "could" be a bit faster, but not soo much really especially with this pII having higher clock and 2 more cores will be nice for the near future, soo PII is better choice between those two especially since it can be overclocked when needed and only a few games really need something better, even less that some popular demanding games like Zone of the Enders or GOW(and lots of others) got a nice speedup for cpu side lately(in latest 0.9.9 svn builds) and shouldn't need any OC to play. If you get that in AM3+ mb that would also allow for further upgrade in the future which always is nice.

GeForce 9400 gt is pretty slow, but it should be able to run many games althrough probably only in native, maybe x2 native at max depending on game - as long as you will be able to use DX10(meaning - only in Windows Vista/7). Soo it would be enough probably, but you'll not be able to see any full hd graphics, rather lots of pixels, but still not soo awfull, just same as on ps2. This card should work in any systems with the above cpu's, but you'll probably want to upgrade it when you'll be able to to something better.
thanks so much for your help guys.

@ miseru99 - you just made my day. But what exactly is this AM3+ feature ? Is it something for the mother board, CPU >>> etc ?
i mean if u go on budget...
I thought Am3+ is a socket?
Yeah am3+ is a socket type on the motherboard. It allows to connect current AMD cpu's and will also allow to connect newer ones. Like previous AM2+ socket for both am2 and am3 cpu's. They're a bit pricey than normal am3, but in the future you'll be able to get new AMD CPU for the same mobo. But if you're not planning any upgrades of it in few years getting mobo with normal am3 socket is enough and who knows, maybe in few years you'll be upgrading to intel or something else and then having that support for newer amd cpu will be uselessWink.
PCSX2 CPU benchmark. The phenom will end up between these two:
44.20 FPS - SLUS 20672 - AMD Athlon II X4 640 - 3.0 GHz Stock - Spikexp - CPU-Z Validation
47.69 FPS - SLUS 20672 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 - 3.2 GHz Stock- Ryner Lute

The i3 will end up between these two:
50.47 FPS - SLUS 20672 - Intel Core i3 530 - 2.93 GHz Stock - ilovejedd
52.89 FPS - SLUS 20672 - Intel Core i3 550 - 3.2 Ghz Stock - abdo123

(Note that this doesn't mean you'll get "X fps"; the benchmark is a very specific situation. Only use it as a relative performance guide.)

Of course, there are many other factors to consider. AM3+ might be more futureproof, but if you can't even get actual Phenom II chips (ones with L3 cache), which are 2 years old at this point, you won't be able to find bulldozers any time soon. The intel can go higher with overclocking.

I think perhaps it would help to see a list of what's available to you.
Just a note ^those benchmarks are on 0.9.6 in software mode using just rendering 1 threads. I wouldn't really care of not having full fps with a cpu listed in those benchmarks.
Software mode doesn't really influence in that test, the GS% doesn't reach close to 100% so it's not GS limited, adding more threads would probably just slow it down.
Core i5 3570k -- Geforce GTX 670  --  Windows 7 x64
Performance(with/without oc) - Intel
Budget(cheap and not bad) - AMD