Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lol so I think I figured out how I'm going to upgrade my laptop (input loved)
Sony totally gimps single HDD laptops by removing the second SATA connector so

I'm going to swap out my 5,400RPM for a SSD (what I'll be booting from)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820227542
^^ That's the one I'm thinking, possibly changing. Depends on Q3.

Then I'm going to pull out my optical drive and replace it with a hard drive. At the moment I'm thinking:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822152237

Eventually I'm going to move to an i7 640m.
http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=49666

I'm going to wait until December for G3 to bring prices down.
i5 520m :: ATI 5650 (700, 900) :: Samsun 830 128GB SSD:: 8GB (2x4GB) RAM

Sponsored links

Sorry, Hungry Man. Your SSD link leads to the end of the internet.
That place is so old, so far away, those guys have no SSDs there Tongue2

As for the Hybrid drive:
If you're going to replace your main/boot drive with a SSD, there's no need
to spend extra for that Hybrid drive. It's better to set your system up so
all heavy IO is from that SSD and all normal file storage is from a regular HDD.
I've also never seen a laptop optical drive that uses a standard SATA port so your mileage may vary.
Specs in Profile
Whoops! Wrong link ll I'll fix it, but I'm thinking a 60GB.

And YukiS, it does use Sata, I opened it up and checked.
That's not what YukiS is trying to say. Most optical drives for laptops use slimline SATA so you might wanna check the power and SATA cable connector on the optical drive again before you just dump a laptop HDD on there.
I've read about it being done but I'll double check, thanks for mentioning it. I just need to order a caddy for my computer (I already have it picked out) but I'm going to wait until intel comes out with new SSD tech (should be Dec) so that prices go down.

I'm considering a different hard drive though. The hybrid is my current choice but for my use I probably won't benefit from the 4GB.
what's the different between SSD and HDD anyway?
in my country SSD cost a bomb..
[Image: 871087.png]

*Mio sees a ghost for the first time*
Mio: Aaaaaaah!! x_x
Seriously, the way she acts, you'd think she grew up with ghosts.
SSD's cost quite a lot here, especially if you want to purchase high capacity ones.

Hard drives consist of a spinning disk and a magnetic "head" that reads and writes information to the disk via a liquid and blah blah blah it's very complicated but basically it's a spinning magnetic disk =p That means it takes a lot of energy to spin the disk and the moving disk creates heat.

Solid State Drives are flash memory, which means no moving parts. That means far less energy consumption and far less heat. It's also much much faster.

Intel has announced a new SSD technology for their first quarter (should be December) taht should mean much cheaper SSD's. That's why I'm waiting until then to buy my stuff.
Technically, Intel's G3 SSD's were supposed to arrive Q3'10. However, Intel's just delaying release to Q1'11 to ramp up supply and prevent the price gouging that happened with the G2 drives. If I remember correctly, the G2 drives were selling for $100~150 more than MSRP when they were initially released.

By the way, I'd recommend against buying a hybrid for your data drive. The flash memory in hybrids just wouldn't be all that useful for a storage drive. You're better off spending the money saved on a higher capacity SSD. Mid-capacity SSD's actually tend to be more cost efficient than entry-level ones.

From Newegg:
OCZ Vertex 30 GB $90 $3.00/GB
OCZ Vertex 2 40 GB $118 $2.95/GB
OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB $135 $2.25/GB
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB $250 $2.08/GB

A 500GB laptop drive costs around $50. A hybrid equivalent is ~$120. For the $70 increase you can get a higher capacity SSD so instead of just holding your OS and apps, the SSD can hold your games, too. Tongue2
Thanks for the info Hungry Man..
here some candy bars for you.. ==== Tongue
[Image: 871087.png]

*Mio sees a ghost for the first time*
Mio: Aaaaaaah!! x_x
Seriously, the way she acts, you'd think she grew up with ghosts.