meets "recommended" req's, could use a bit of help
Hello everyone, this is my first post here.
I have to warn you that this is yet another post asking for help speeding up my PCSX2, however I've tried to avoid being a noob and I've attempted to look up answers and read the "read me first" posts.

I have a nice computer with these general specs:

AMD phenom II 3.4 ghz processor
8 gigs ram
AMD radeon HD 6800 series
Windows 7 64 bit

I just downloaded the latest version of the stable PCSX2 (0.9.8). My problem is that no matter what game i run, i get around 30 fps. I've tried star wars battlefront 2, dynasty warriors 5, and Gran Turismo 3. Now I know that games will never run at full speed, but I've seen youtube videos of people running Gran Turismo four at full speed (with fraps slowing down their system)! Is it just that my processor is not good? I feel there's some setup I'm missing.

Fixes that I've tried already are playing around with various speed hacks, changing the resolution of the GS plugin, changing from Direct3d11 Hardware to Direct3d9 Hardware (does 10 work better? If so how do you get it), and lowering the options in the audio plugin. These all seem to change nothing, except when i change the GS plugin to null, in which case i get bumped up from 30 to 45 fps, but i can't see anything on the screen Tongue.

Any help would be appreciated if anyone reads this, I know it must get annoying to get these kinds of posts but I'd love to enjoy this great program. Thank you all, and thanks to the developers of the plugins/software.

Sponsored links

You should try the SVN builds of 0.99

They support multi-core cpu (under speed-hack, there is an option called enable MTVU hack). This should give you a significant speed boost in general.

The best plugin for your graphic is probably either GSdx SSE 4.1 or GSdx AVX (I'd go for SSE 4.1 if I were you because virtually there is no difference in peformance between the two since AVX is built more for software mode).
Your graphic card supports DX11, therefore the option to go for DX10 is unavailable. Some games require DX9 (despite DX10/11 is better), example: Silent Hill 3 suffers some shadowing-related glitches in DX10/11, switching to DX9 solves this. Namco titles require custom resolution (1260x1260), while others might require "modified" GSdx to run properly.

You can download the latest SVN build here:
http://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

Edit: Looks like you might have to go with other types of GSdx...whichever support your cpu, cause it doesn't seem that SSE4.1 and AVX are compatible with yours. Credit to Interocitor and Archerko for notifying me Smile My suggestion doesn't look too helpful, does it? Tongue2 Perhaps other users with the same cpu or has more technical knowledge about cpu and their instruction sets can give you some suggestions.
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB
If you would like to enjoy this program, you might wanna to avoid any null plugins except for Dev9, FW, and USB... Laugh

Because as it's name, null won't gonna output anything...

@strider

Don't worry, me also had been like that many times already...
(07-11-2012, 07:00 AM)strider3871 Wrote: The best plugin for your graphic is probably either GSdx SSE 4.1 or GSdx AVX (I'd go for SSE 4.1 if I were you because virtually there is no difference in peformance between the two since AVX is built more for software mode).

Phenom IIs do not support either SSE4.1 or AVX.
(07-11-2012, 07:59 AM)Interocitor Wrote: Phenom IIs do not support either SSE4.1 or AVX.

I Wikied abt his cpu when I typed the reply but I guess I was mistaken...I thought SSE4a is another variant compatible with all SSE4 options within PCSX2.

Oh well.... SSE3 then.
cpu: i5-2410m | gpu: Nvidia GT 555m 2GB | mem: 4 GB
still can't... Sse3 is not the same as ssse3....
(07-11-2012, 07:00 AM)strider3871 Wrote: Your graphic card supports DX11, therefore the option to go for DX10 is unavailable.

Wha? That doesn't make sense. When did DX11 cards stop being backwards compatible?

OP, try a SVN with MTVU enabled.
(07-11-2012, 08:38 AM)Amak Wrote: Wha? That doesn't make sense. When did DX11 cards stop being backwards compatible?

OP, try a SVN with MTVU enabled.

No, what he meant is when we have a dx11 card, we cannot pick dx10 as renderer in gsdx....
Technically, the D3D10 mode is D3D11 Feature Level 10

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/...85%29.aspx
Thanks for the plethora of great comments, I'm running SVN with MTVU enabled and its working much better, on Star wars battlefront 2 I've gone from 30 fps to 55, great! The GSdx plugins that are working for me are the SSE2 ones. SSE41 and SSSE3 do not initialize. Thanks for the help guys.