optimizations for mobile devices (Intel Atom based Windows tablets etc.)
We all know that the team's current priorities are not speed optimizations since todays PCs and Notebooks are powerful enough to run most games on PCSX2 at full speed.

But what about PC/X86 compatible mobile devices?
We have gorgeous 7" - 10" Windows based Tablets with energy efficient quad core SOCs that can run PCSX2.

Intel Atom BayTrail based tablets can already run less demanding games like Final Fantasy X or Kingdom Hearts at playable speeds with speedhacks enabled.
Not Fullspeed all the time tho but I'd say they get close to what PCs could achieve in 2005/2006.
Then imagine this on a compact 8" tablet playing with a PS3 or PS4 controller connected via bluetooth.

So what do we have?
A quadcore CPU with a low singlecore performance so we have to make use of as many threats as we can.
As we already have MTVU1 that gives a major speedboost, Multithreaded VU0 / SPU2 would do any more maybe?
I have no idea how much VU0 takes up compared to VU1, if at least half as VU1 then it might be a shot to try this.
Also, the baytrail architecture features any instruction sets except for AVX and AVX2.

Any more ideas for performance improvements?

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

Sponsored links

(07-14-2015, 04:13 PM)Nexxxus Wrote: I have no idea how much VU0 takes up compared to VU1, if at least half as VU1 then it might be a shot to try this.

VU0 doesn't have a GIF path like VU1 and it's a co-processor so it's heavily interconnected with the EE and could be troublesome.

Ref also said that COP2 uses the same flags , registers and stuffs similar to the VU0 so, threading will be quite slow since it should be Instruction precise.
We're supposed to be working as a team, if we aren't helping and suggesting things to each other, we aren't working as a team.
- Refraction
Yeah VU0 cannot be threaded, if we did it would cause huge slowdown not speedups.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

How much load is even on the spu2-x? I would guess it is not much. Otherwise we would all the time recommend to turn audio off, or?
So multithreading spu2 does probably not help at all.

I think spu2-x is also the timekeeper, or? I think I read the in the dev blog that the spu2 keeps the synchronization of all threads... But I can hardly remember. If that is true it would be bad to use it asynchronously.

Who is actually spending all the horsepower in the EE thread? Is it the EE and all other components are neglectable or are other components demanding as well?
Eventually the whole way texture data is generated (decoded) and moved to the GS could be more higher level emulated.
Just an idea Smile

Willkür:
Load depends on the game but components like EE (with DMA), VIFs, VU0 interlocking and code, VU1 code, GSdx each use a lot of cycles.
SPU2-X load is very minimal and it couldn't be just disabled either. SPU2 is just there, never mind it Tongue2
I wonder how Sony handled this on their PS2 emulator on the PS3 when they have 7 SPE's available.
It seems they stopped working on it because they had issues emulating the GS after they removed the physical chip.

Main Rig: i7-3770k @4.5ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 980 TI | Win 10 X64
Laptop: MSI GT62VR | i7-6700HQ | 16GB DDR4 | Nvidia GTX 1060 | Win 10 X64

(07-14-2015, 06:42 PM)Nexxxus Wrote: I wonder how Sony handled this on their PS2 emulator on the PS3 when they have 7 SPE's available.
It seems they stopped working on it because they had issues emulating the GS after they removed the physical chip.

Yes because they used the source of pcsx2 0.9.4 to emulate the GS Laugh. For sure that was not entirely perfect... They should've waited for 1.0 before they removed the ps2 chips..
(07-14-2015, 06:50 PM)willkuer Wrote: Yes because they used the source of pcsx2 0.9.4 to emulate the GS Laugh. For sure that was not entirely perfect... They should've waited for 1.0 before they removed the ps2 chips..

wait sony used the source 0.9.4?? shouldn't sony know how there own hardware works and how to emulated better then anyone? then again that required to them to actual put some work in the emulation which from day one was obvious everyone they want to do a lil as possible. which why i quickly realized i didnt care about the ps2 bc on the ps3.
I think that they used the pcsx2 code is a well-known joke touching the reality. For some reason the ps3->ps2:SW emulator had a very similar compatibility as pcsx2. Probably just a nice coincidence...
dont know if it true it would be proof of sony not care about bc and a compliment to pcsx2 dev team? less sony does BC/emulation that scales the games to 1080p and adds some sorta AA i dont care if sony consoles ever have bc. ps1/ps2 games absolutely terrible on hdtv in there native res so much so i will never play them on hdtv, out side of pc emulations. CRT diffrent story but i dont own one anymore.

As for the topic,

I wouldnt mind being able to play pcsx2 via mobile devices, but currently there still to weak, for most games, maybe in 2 years when tablets/mobile devices are more power full then current consoles it woulf be feasble. but only if i could connect said tablets to my hdtv and connect my game pad to it.