overclocked CPU goes to 1.6Ghz often for a few seconds mid-game
hi, my i5 2500k is overclocked to 4.3 Ghz but often goes down to 1.6 in every game I've played so far. When this happens the game will slow down, and the frame rate either stays at max or will go down a few fps. I've experienced both, probably because of the speedhacks I've turned on.

Anyway, I know this isn't really a problem with my system because when I play any normal PC game the CPU stays at max during gameplay. Is it possible that I may have inadvertently changed some pcsx2 setting or maybe it isn't high priority in Windows? My CPU doesn't really go above 50% usage in-game (I've checked with MSI On-screen display). It usually stays at 20-30% in-game. Is this normal as well?

Here are my general pcsx2 settings:

GSdx 0 SSE4.1
SPU2-X
cdvdGigaherz
USBnull driver
FWnull driver
DEV9null driver

emulation settings:

everything at default except for MTVU which I have enabled, and EE Cyclerate/VU cycle stealing depending on the game.

my system:

i5 2500k @ 4.3 Ghz
6870 @ 1gb stock clock
8gb ram @ 1333 Mhz dual channel

I'd also like to mention that my CPU's temps don't get high when using pcsx2 either. My max so far is 49 C. Same with my GPU just in case you think it's bottlenecking my system. GPU max has been 61 C

Sponsored links

Tried disabling intel speedstep ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
CAn you tell us what motherboard do you have?
Edit: Nevermind
Reading the OFFICAL GUIDE can answer 90% of your newbie questions
SEARCHING the forums can answer 90% of your advanced questions.
(08-10-2014, 09:14 AM)jesalvein Wrote: Tried disabling intel speedstep ?

I mean I guess I could do that as a last resort but I'd rather not have my machine running at max clock all the time :/

(08-10-2014, 09:55 AM)shimjitsu Wrote: CAn you tell us what motherboard do you have?

Gigabyte Z68P-DS3 Revision 1.0 @ Bios F9
(08-10-2014, 05:32 PM)hi_polymer Wrote: I mean I guess I could do that as a last resort but I'd rather not have my machine running at max clock all the time :/
I see.

As you wish...
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
I looked at a pic of your board and don't see any VRM heat sinks. If you increased the voltage to your CPU, it's possible they are getting too hot, regardless of the actual CPU temp. Hot VRMs will cause throttling too.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
Thanks, I didn't know motherboard could bottleneck software performance. Just ordered 2 sets of VRM heat sinks.
It definitely can.

You can see my system in my profile, for reference. At first I had a board without VRM heat sinks and was having severe throttling even though my CPU was well within temp spec(and on water cooling). After asking about it on Tom's Hardware( http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2...eason.html ), I found out it was the VRMs. I fried the board inadvertently trying to measure the VRM temps with a meat thermometer(Metal probe, I was being an idiot...), and when I ordered a new board I made sure it had VRM sinks. Since then, I was able to go to an even higher overclock without throttling.
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
PCSX2 is one of the programs that dont react well with intel speedstep some times it will down clock cause it not needed, Which why I have it disabled