Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
overclocking the i7-820QM
I've decided to buy the i7-820QM as my final choice probably (when I get the money for it). Now, It can reach up to 3.06ghz but I think I need more power out of it to play games like narutimate, fate unlimited codes, guilty gear and tekken (if I ever decide to buy tekken) at full speed. And it will also have the gtx 280m.

Its a new processor so there was hardly anything I could google as far as overclocking. Since it has a base frequency and a turbo boost, I guess there would be an option in the bios to change both. I have no idea.

And I know its a bad idea to overclock a laptop but do you guys think Its possible to crank it up to get maybe 3.5ghz without it going on a meltdown after a bit?

EDIT: of course, this is considering I'm taking care of it.. keeping it in a cool room, get some coolers etc.
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram

Sponsored links

Well as you know (or not) BIOS in laptops mostly dont have any overclocking options and the only way is software like setfsb which also doesnt work with every lap. So ...
Intel Dual Core E5200 @ 3,5ghz /gigabyte GF9500GT/2 GB RAM / ASRock P45XE/ Corsair CMPSU-400CXEU
(11-09-2009, 12:40 AM)Elwin Wrote: Well as you know (or not) BIOS in laptops mostly dont have any overclocking options and the only way is software like setfsb which also doesnt work with every lap. So ...

Right. I've heard about that. I just threw in the word bios so I could sound smart Cool

I don't even have the laptop to find out what mother board it has. I guess I can use google to find it somewhere maybe....

I've read this tutorial. I haven't read it thoroughly yet but I'll be reading this 10 times over since Its my first time overclocking. But If I can just find out if this thing can handle overclocking, I'd be good to go. Especially if I can just change the boost speed and not the base frequency. That would be sweet. I wonder if that is possible. Closedeyes
Windows 7 - Asus G73jh-a1 - 17-720qm @ 1.6 GHz (2.8 GHz)(2.4ghz)(1.73ghz) - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 @ 700/1000 (sometimes oc to 800/1100) - 8 gig ram
I generally don't recommend it. A couple of points:

* Laptops tend to have heating issues and "short lifespans" without help from OC'ing

* Laptops often have built-in safety throttles in addition to SpeedStep, which itself may or may not be disable-able; and OC'ing just heightens the likliness of those kicking in and causing your cpu to be slower than it was before you OC'd. (and disabling them just furthers the likiness of overheating and rapid hardware failures).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
(11-09-2009, 02:28 AM)Air Wrote: I generally don't recommend it. A couple of points:

* Laptops tend to have heating issues and "short lifespans" without help from OC'ing

* Laptops often have built-in safety throttles in addition to SpeedStep, which itself may or may not be disable-able; and OC'ing just heightens the likliness of those kicking in and causing your cpu to be slower than it was before you OC'd. (and disabling them just furthers the likiness of overheating and rapid hardware failures).

Yea, I agree with ya there. Once the temp goes past a certain point the processing power is just going to drop. Plus there are issues with automatic restarts as well. It would be nice to get a bit more processing power to play the emulator, but I'm not getting this processor just to use the emulator.

I just need the patience to wait till pcsx2 can use 3 or 4 cores in about 20 years. Sad
Never overclock a laptop.Very bad idea.Even if you have overclocked a desktop and you have the experience,a laptop overclocked will shut-down for ever sooner or later