pcsx2 GS 90-100% Ati utilities shows 16% usage
GT4, ZOE, MGS3, and SotC (no speed hacks) are amongst the hardest to emulate as far as I know. The opening video for FFX-2 is pretty brutal as well, but actual in-game does pretty well.

Software mode is the more accurate means of emulating, it's also a lot slower... Most games that do run, run well through hardware... But there are some games with certain effects/visual techniques that just don't translate well to PC video hardware.
[Image: 2748844.png]

Sponsored links

Well software mode, is mostly in every game, the most CPU dependant Smile
Bit late on this now, but to clarify.

GS % is NOT GPU usage. GS % is how much of your CPU core the GS thread is using. on a dual core this will be core 1 (rest of the emu is on core 0) It has no reflection on GPU usage.
[Image: ref-sig-anim.gif]

So can I say then Refraction, that with a quad core, Core #0 & #1 are for EE and Core #2 & #3 are for GS? Smile
(09-07-2011, 12:13 PM)StriFe79 Wrote: So can I say then Refraction, that with a quad core, Core #0 & #1 are for EE and Core #2 & #3 are for GS? Smile

no, the same applies. the GS will only ever take 1 core (unless you're in software mode, which won't use the gpu anyway), so itll still be cores #0 and #1.

if you then used MTVU on a Quad Core, that would go on core #2. On a dual core that will share with the GS thread.

Bit of a random question but since we're talking about CPU cores and I don't want to start a whole new thread I'll just ask here:

I know PCSX2 doesn't support hyper threading, but will turning hyper threading off (i.e with my 1st gen i7 930) make any difference performance wise (i.e the emulation process will be smoother)?
2500K | ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 | Antec HCG-620 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP | Corsair 500R case | Win7 64-bit
Next upgrades: GPU & CPU Cooler + Overclock!
in terms of the software threads i think it has a negative impact, but in general pcsx2 usage i believe it improves performance slightly.

I dont like the idea of fake threads personally, so i keep it turned off ;P

If you have a dual core the HT may give you an improvement in certain games when using MTVU... if you have a quad core (like your i7) you won't see a difference even with MTVU because it will use a real third core versus a HT.
[Image: 2748844.png]
(09-07-2011, 01:21 PM)refraction Wrote: no, the same applies. the GS will only ever take 1 core (unless you're in software mode, which won't use the gpu anyway), so itll still be cores #0 and #1.

if you then used MTVU on a Quad Core, that would go on core #2. On a dual core that will share with the GS thread.

When using software rendering does pcsx2 use all 4 cores of the cpu? I noticed that all 4 cores of the cpu were active according to the task manager, though cpu usage never went about 50% in total. Software mode works a lot faster for me in ZOE 1 but a lot slower in ZOE 2. Max VU steal gives an amazing performance boost.
(09-07-2011, 11:08 PM)Energize Wrote: When using software rendering does pcsx2 use all 4 cores of the cpu?

It all depends how many render threads you use Tongue The optimal for quad cores seems to be 2-3, more than this has little benifit. But if you have 1 render thread, it's not going to use 4 cores Tongue