pcsx2 GS 90-100% Ati utilities shows 16% usage
Hey I currently trying to run Gt4 I have read it is one of the harder games graphics wise to run on pcsx. My current setup is
Cpu: core2duo E6300 overclocked to 3.6
Video card Radeon Ati 6950 overclocked
4GB DDR2 ram
Running on sata2 HD ISO file. I have all the speed hacks equipped and have made it up to 50-52 fps in-game. But the time is very slow 3-4X to slow. Looking at the top of the screen My EE is around 60% but my GS is running 90-100%. When I open my ati catalyst utilitys I can see the temp fan speed and the usage in %. It was reading only 16% used and a low temp. This leads me to belive my video card is not being used completely and causing this lag. How would I fix this, I got a speed increase when I switched the threads to 1, letting the other one run the OS.

Sponsored links

Try running it in Hardware Mode? (DirectX 11) if you're on windows 7, If you run on Vista, make sure u've installed Service Pack 2. Newer generation cards, seem to run faster on higher resolutions and with highend functions turned on, like Full Screen Anti Aliasing (FSAA) and Anisotropic Filtering (AF) Smile U need to put those on in your AMD Vision Control Center (Or how it used to be called CCC) Smile
Hmm, I will try that. I forgot to mention running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
When I change modes the background of the game gets VERY bad and is just colors and flashes.
(09-07-2011, 12:51 AM)mike300z Wrote: Hey I currently trying to run Gt4 I have read it is one of the harder games graphics wise to run on pcsx. My current setup is
Cpu: core2duo E6300 overclocked to 3.6
Video card Radeon Ati 6950 overclocked
4GB DDR2 ram
Running on sata2 HD ISO file. I have all the speed hacks equipped and have made it up to 50-52 fps in-game. But the time is very slow 3-4X to slow. Looking at the top of the screen My EE is around 60% but my GS is running 90-100%. When I open my ati catalyst utilitys I can see the temp fan speed and the usage in %. It was reading only 16% used and a low temp. This leads me to belive my video card is not being used completely and causing this lag. How would I fix this, I got a speed increase when I switched the threads to 1, letting the other one run the OS.

Thats what we call fake fps, disable the vu hack, then u can see the "real" fps.
(09-07-2011, 02:35 AM)ecchiless Wrote: Thats what we call fake fps, disable the vu hack, then u can see the "real" fps.

I see I turned it completely off and now the fps is around 27.. But the time still looks the same so I can see the fps was false. Any input on why this is all I can pull?
It's called GT4 is one bad ass mofo and requires a pretty hefty PC to run full speed... And by pretty hefty, I mean latest sandybridge overclocked processors still have speed issues (at least when playing with other cars)
[Image: 2748844.png]
You need to distinguish between GS usage and GPU usage. As far as I know: GS percentage is the thread used to emulate the PS2 Graphics Synthensizer. The GPU is only used for render everythings to the screen. They're two different things. When the GS thread is max out, the GPU must wait for it. It is the reason why your GPU usage is low.

I do a quick test with Resident Evil 4 on my PC:
Native resolution: EE ~ 60%, GS ~ 100%, GPU usage ~ 70%, 59 FPS
2x native resolution: EE~45%, GS ~ 70%, GPU usage ~ 100%, 40 FPS (in this case the GS thread must wait for the GPU)

I hope you know what I mean.
(09-07-2011, 03:37 AM)Livy Wrote: You need to distinguish between GS usage and GPU usage. As far as I know: GS percentage is the thread used to emulate the PS2 Graphics Synthensizer. The GPU is only used for render everythings to the screen. They're two different things. When the GS thread is max out, the GPU must wait for it. It is the reason why your GPU usage is low.

I do a quick test with Resident Evil 4 on my PC:
Native resolution: EE ~ 60%, GS ~ 100%, GPU usage ~ 70%, 59 FPS
2x native resolution: EE~45%, GS ~ 70%, GPU usage ~ 100%, 40 FPS (in this case the GS thread must wait for the GPU)

I hope you know what I mean.

right, and the 1st one the gpu would be waiting for the GS.
I got it to run up to 49 fps this was with constant frame skipping draw 1 frame skip 2 frames lol, cant tell much difference in quality, but great speedup. Now my EE is almost maxed out and GS is lower, I can see my processor is running round 90%. Checked my card now it ran up to 40% but still kinda low. I can tell my cpu now is slowing me down. What I question is why GT4 wont run under hardware plugin only software, I even tried directx9.
(09-07-2011, 03:52 AM)mike300z Wrote: right, and the 1st one the gpu would be waiting for the GS.
I got it to run up to 49 fps this was with constant frame skipping draw 1 frame skip 2 frames lol, cant tell much difference in quality, but great speedup. Now my EE is almost maxed out and GS is lower, I can see my processor is running round 90%. Checked my card now it ran up to 40% but still kinda low. I can tell my cpu now is slowing me down. What I question is why GT4 wont run under hardware plugin only software, I even tried directx9.

cause is a bastard >_<.... like koji says is one of those hard to emulate games, so even some one(rezard(?) Tongue) with a [email protected] will have problems in some point.
crist. GT4 must be almost the hardest to play ps2 games graphics wise.