Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pcsx2 on ps3?
i was browsing the ps3hax forum *playstation website is way too slow for me*
and no, not for illegall purposes but too see if theres a ps3 update anytime soon.
*long story*

but i read a random post saying the pcsx2 team was working on making pcsx2 support the power pc architecture that is the ps3. and other ppl agreed with him.
1) the ps3 is powerful, yes but its graphics card is not and i would expect that it would bottle neck the 8 cores

2) even thos the ps3 has been out for a lil over 4 years this still seems too soon.

3) its hard enough getting the pcsx2 too support a 3rd core so how in the hell is it supposed too support 8?

so is this a rumor?
or am i an idiot that is missing somthing?

long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.

Sponsored links

(10-20-2010, 12:17 PM)kekdeyardrat Wrote: i was browsing the ps3hax forum *playstation website is way too slow for me*
and no, not for illegall purposes but too see if theres a ps3 update anytime soon.
*long story*

but i read a random post saying the pcsx2 team was working on making pcsx2 support the power pc architecture that is the ps3. and other ppl agreed with him.
1) the ps3 is powerful, yes but its graphics card is not and i would expect that it would bottle neck the 8 cores

2) even thos the ps3 has been out for a lil over 4 years this still seems too soon.

3) its hard enough getting the pcsx2 too support a 3rd core so how in the hell is it supposed too support 8?

so is this a rumor?
Firstly I would say that this is not true, or a rumour at best, mainly because PPC low level code is a whole different kettle of fish to x86 low level code, so without some new devs on board I doubt any progress could be made on the PPC architecture.

1) The PS3 graphics card is around the same as an nVidia 7800 series, which is more than enough to run most games in PCSX2, so I doubt the bottleneck would lie here. If anything, the most likely cause of a bottleneck would be the PS3s lack of RAM, as a recompiler takes up a pretty large amount of memory.

2) This is kinda irrelevant.

3) The Cell is not an 8 core processor. It has one PPE with SMP support (much like the old Pentium 4s with HyperThreading) but it's obviously a fair bit faster. It also has 7 (8 but one's disabled for yield increasing purposes) SPEs which can only be used for a restricted set of processing. They are geared towards SIMD operations (performing a single operation on a large set of data) much like the SSE extensions on desktop processors. As such they are useful for multimedia (video, audio) processing but wouldn't be all that great for I/O bound tasks as they can only access main memory and other devices on the system bus through the PPE as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure how tightly synced they are (this is the main problem with distributing PCSX2 over multiple cores) but as the architecture has been developed by Toshiba, the same as the EE+GS, I would imagine they carried over some design decisions.
Specs in Profile
Check drk||Raziel's blog.
Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3@4.0GHz / Crucial 2x8Gb DDR4-2133 / MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G / Windows 7 SP1 RTM x64
(10-20-2010, 12:35 PM)YukiS Wrote:
(10-20-2010, 12:17 PM)kekdeyardrat Wrote: i was browsing the ps3hax forum *playstation website is way too slow for me*
*long story*

so is this a rumor?
Firstly I would say that this is not true, or a rumour at best, mainly because PPC low level code is a whole different kettle of fish to x86 low level code, so without some new devs on board I doubt any progress could be made on the PPC architecture.

1) The PS3 graphics card is around the same as an nVidia 7800 series, which is more than enough to run most games in PCSX2, so I doubt the bottleneck would lie here. If anything, the most likely cause of a bottleneck would be the PS3s lack of RAM, as a recompiler takes up a pretty large amount of memory.

3) The Cell is not an 8 core processor. It has one PPE with SMP support (much like the old Pentium 4s with HyperThreading) but it's obviously a fair bit faster. It also has 7 (8 but one's disabled for yield increasing purposes) SPEs which can only be used for a restricted set of processing. They are geared towards SIMD operations (performing a single operation on a large set of data) much like the SSE extensions on desktop processors. As such they are useful for multimedia (video, audio) processing but wouldn't be all that great for I/O bound tasks as they can only access main memory and other devices on the system bus through the PPE as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure how tightly synced they are (this is the main problem with distributing PCSX2 over multiple cores) but as the architecture has been developed by Toshiba, the same as the EE+GS, I would imagine they carried over some design decisions.

wouldnt that make it easier too create a pcsx2 version that only support ps3?
or...hey...the 360 is a pc with 3 cores at 3.2ghz *i know pcsx2 only supports dual cores*
a decent card
so couldnt the pcsx2 team make a pcsx2 version that supports the 360's os?
long ago in a distant city, i batman defender of gotham unleashed an unspeakable order. but a foolish clown wielding a menasing laugh steped forth too opose me.
(10-20-2010, 12:51 PM)kekdeyardrat Wrote:
(10-20-2010, 12:35 PM)YukiS Wrote: Firstly I would say that this is not true, or a rumour at best, mainly because PPC low level code is a whole different kettle of fish to x86 low level code, so without some new devs on board I doubt any progress could be made on the PPC architecture.

wouldnt that make it easier too create a pcsx2 version that only support ps3?
or...hey...the 360 is a pc with 3 cores at 3.2ghz *i know pcsx2 only supports dual cores*
a decent card
so couldnt the pcsx2 team make a pcsx2 version that supports the 360's os?

No, simply because less people know how to write optimised code for the PPC. The 360's PPC cores are also SMP capable, so there's 6 logical cores to work with there. The major problem with the 360 is, again, RAM. To further complicate matters, a console with the JTAG exploit is currently required to launch any kind of homebrew.
Specs in Profile
There was some talk on the official PCSX2 Twitter

Not sure if it's still being looked at though.
Rubish.