Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
pcsx2 programming
i was just wondering what kind of code pcsx2 is made with, like c# c++ vb?
i just wanted to know bc im studying vb in college atm and when i become more fluent i might consider trying to help out. and if its something other then vb, might be my next class i aim to take Tongue
[Image: 1816969.png]

Sponsored links

It's C++, it used to be pure C but got converted to C++ lately
[Image: newsig.jpg]
wow that was an extremely quick response Tongue
and thanks, i was thinking about going to c++ next.
but isnt c# just c++ with some diff syntax strings? or is it a completely different thing? been a while sence i read up on them.
C# is a web based language as far as I know,similar to java and aimed for web applications. So I guess it's pretty different from C++ Tongue
[Image: newsig.jpg]
ahhh, ok, well thanks for the little knowledge boost Tongue
i might try and pick up a c++ book at the bookstore and try and see how much is different from that and vb this summer when im out of school.
well you can create windows apps too with C#, from what i read it's target is towards the .NET platform.

EDIT: oh and yes C# is C++ with some different stuff. Smile

EDIT2: you could read about C# at these links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(pr..._language)
http://cplus.about.com/od/introductionto...inners.htm
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 OC to 3.6GHz, Intel GMA x4500, 1GB DDR2

NinjaMight just work on next guideNinja
(03-13-2009, 04:06 AM)LuisR14 Wrote: EDIT: oh and yes C# is C++ with some different stuff. Smile

EDIT2: you could read about C# at these links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_Sharp_(pr..._language)
http://cplus.about.com/od/introductionto...inners.htm

C# and C++ are really meant for two different kinds of programs.

C# programs can run on nearly anything that supports to .Net runtime, but I don't know if it's possible to write the sort of low-level functions that an emulator requires. Reliance on pointers means the code has to run 'unmanaged', removing any possible benefit of using C# over C++.

C (and C++) are designed to be low-level languages that expose the underlying hardware to the programmer, a very powerful concept. It is a natural choice for someone who wants to write an emulator to pick C/C++ for this reason alone.

If you know C++ really well it's easy to pick up C#, but the loss of pointers when you move to managed code may be a difficult transition. I gave up after learning all my pre-written code for doing menial tasks was useless since it all relied on pointers Tongue For anything but low-level system code, pointers seem to have joined the GOTO statement in the Hall of Things You Shouldn't Use lol.
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi
Well, there are pointers in c# too. Only the code will be marked "unsafe" if you use them. No sse of course, the whole thing is like a different architecture emulated on top of x86, and you don't want to emulate ps2 in another emulator Tongue
C# is in fact quite fancy. Using the "unsafe" keyword allows you to do just about anything in C# that you can do in C/C++, albeit sometimes a little more difficult/round-aboutish. (one exception: inline asm) Speed-wise, C/C++ still have the edge in most areas, but the edge is small and often times insignificant when compared to the many other benefits of C# (one of which is that it's OO nature makes it a lot easier to thread, which means it tends to be more scalable to modern multicore CPUs).
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
So porting PCSX2 to C# is tentatively labeled "could be done".

Next up: Porting PCSX2 to Matlab. Could it be done?
"This thread should be closed immediately, it causes parallel imagination and multiprocess hallucination" --ardhi