Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pcsx2 + recording with fraps = slowdown for no reason?
So I've been trying to get some videos of me playing a PS2 game (God Hand, amazing game if you haven't played it) recorded and up on YouTube. As of yet, I've been recording the game with a 800*600 resolution, which has been good enough so far. However, I've been wanting to try and upload some 720p videos to see how different it would look like online.

However, whenever I try to record any PS2 game at 1280*720 or anything around that, it causes the game itself to slow down to around 30 or 20 fps. I would normally think this is because my CPU isn't good enough, but it's an i5 clocked at 3.5 GHz and looking in Task Manager, fraps uses 25% of the CPU while making pcsx2 use around 10% (it generally uses 30% to run at full speed)

If it helps to know, I'm using beta rev 1888 and the video files made by fraps are being recorded onto a separate, but not empty, 7200 RPM drive. Putting on every speedhack to max had no impact on how fast it recorded at.

Can anyone help me figure out if there's anything I can do to get pcsx2 recorded properly at higher resolutions? Thanks in advance.

oh yeah also hi I'm new here so yeah :P

Sponsored links

If fraps is recording uncompressed .avi files then you're probably being limited by your hard drive's Write Speed. My own system (Quad Core Q9400) can record 800x600 with absolutely no effect to the game's running speed. But when I jump to 1024x760 I'm limited to around 40fps simply because that's all the faster my hard drive can save data.

I actually got around this a little bit by creating a special "recording session" partition on my secondary drive, which is the first partition on the drive, physically. That's important because the read/write speeds to the inner rings of your HDD are usually 2x faster on average than the read/write speeds elsewhere (and up to 4x faster than speeds near the physical end of the drive). It's not good enough to just have an empty hard drive -- windows will arbitrarily save the AVI streams to random spots on the drive. You need to have a small partition under 20% of the drive's size, so that at worst you'll only be about 20-30% below your drive's maximum recording speed.

... and while all that's GREAT for a geek like me, the better solution is to record using a "minimally compressed avi" instead of the purely uncompressed type. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do that with FRAPS, or if it's even possible.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
You guys better use a ramdisk set to output folder to record video in.
durable PC since 2008
CPU : E7200 @ 2.53 GHz 1.04 V / OC 3.7 GHz 1.36 V (390*9.5, 4GB DDR2 780)
GPU : 8600GT (GDDR3, 256 MB) / OC (750 / 900)
BOARD : GA-EP31-DS3L (rev 1.0) broken and bought a second hand one replaced
PSU : 300 W
The vids I recorded were 12-24 gigs each. I don't think a ramdisk wold have helped. Wink
Well there's all the more reason for me to get a VelociRaptor I guess. :P

Thanks for the response and suggestion, but I'd just like to make sure if I understood what you meant by the first partition physically. Check the attachment; does that look right?

Also lol at me forgetting to uncheck "Force Lossless RGB Capture." That alone helped tremendously, but it's still being slow.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)
(02-09-2010, 02:34 AM)dainegai Wrote: Thanks for the response and suggestion, but I'd just like to make sure if I understood what you meant by the first partition physically. Check the attachment; does that look right?

Nope, that's backwards. The D: drive is the first physical partition and would be occupying the "fast" section of the hard drive. I had to use PartitionMagic to move my partitions around the way I wanted. I don't think there's anything else out there that lets you do arbitrary insertion of new partitions at the front of your drive.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
I ended up finding a program that would work with Windows 7 (Partition Wizard) wherein I was able to move/resize the re-extended D drive and have it make a partition at the beginning of the drive.

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it'll record a bit smoother now.