pcsx2 very heavy
I wonder, because in windows XP, the PCSX2 emulator is very heavy, and would also like to know why bugs occur graphicals, frame buffing objects on windows XP but not in Windows 7.

Sponsored links

Windows XP only supports Direct3d9 which although sometimes faster, tends to have more errors than Direct3d11.

As far as being heavy, well, what are your PC specs?
[Image: XTe1j6J.png]
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
processor: intel core i5 overclocked for 4.32ghz
vga: gtx 760ti
memory ram: 4gb DDR3
hd: 800gb
SO: Windows XP 32 bits
Which i5? Also, here is an explanation of why PCSX2 is one of the heaviest programs you will ever run on your PC:

refraction Wrote:A lot of people seem to compare PS2 emulation to the other consoles such as Gamecube and PSX. Why are they faster? well the simple fact is the consoles are much simpler than the PS2, thus less code, bandwidth and development time is required.

This is a list of the things the emulator needs to emulate, i shall compare to the PSX.

EE (Emotion Engine) core = The PS2's main processor which runs 8x faster than the PSX processor with registers twice the size (128bits) although in general cases only 64 bits are used, where the PSX uses 32bits as a general rule. The other difference is the R5900 (EE) has many extra instructions, multimedia instructions and extra co processors which aren't in the PSX, so we have a processor that's 8x faster and at least 3 times more complex.

IOP (In Out Processor) core = This is identical to the PSX core, it is the same chip with a few extra dma channels, it is also clocked 3mhz higher than the PSX but we can assume its basically the same chip.

VUs (Vector Units) = The PS2's equivalent to the graphics engine on the PSX, it is seen as an extra processor (yes another one) although the PSX one was 4 times slower than the VU and also the VU has its own memory and run independently from the main CPU where as the PSX one is cpu dependent. This is the main reason for the slow 3d games on PCSX2, intense vertex processing done by the game using 4 32bit vertex's which makes up the 128bit floating point registers that it contains. This unit also processes textures and 2d information on a part of the unit called the VIF which unpacks texture data and sends it to the GS.
Oh, did we mention there's 2 of these units (VU0 and VU1)? Tongue2

SPU2 (Sound Processing Unit 2) = This is literally, the SPU found on the PSX but doubled, so there is now 2 of them to handle Wink

GS (Graphics Synthesizer) = This is the PS2 version of the GPU, which does a similar job, but has the ability to do anti aliasing and all sorts of other fancy things, although some were rarely used, this does all the vertex/texture mapping that you see on the screen.

SIF = Now this didn't appear on the PSX, it connects the IOP to the EE and is used to transfer data between the 2, as the DVD, sound etc is situated on the IOP side, pretty much laid out as the PSX was. Although its function seems simple, its required that we emulate it which takes extra time as expected.

These are the main, intensively used parts of the PS2 which are used in the emulator, as you can tell from the comparison that the PS2 is much more complex than the PSX and requires a lot more time. To add insult to injury on the real machine a lot of work will be done asynchronously, so say while the VU is doing something the processor will be doing something else, but unfortunately we cant do this, so we have to run 1 and pause the rest, when that's done let something else do the work and so on, and running all that processing power on a single CPU is very very intensive work. Now take all that and throw on at least FIVE times the requirements due to the emulation needing to process the original data and convert to ix86 Wink
Gaming Rig: Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8Ghz | GTX 1070 TI | 32GB RAM | 960GB(480GB+480GB RAID0) SSD | 2x 1TB HDD
with a i5 4.32 ghz and a gtx 760ti still the drop fps? then need than the "MINIMUM"? an i7 4.32 ghz and a gtx titan z? this is the minimum? because with an i5 and a gtx 760ti, still a drop fps

about what would be my i5, his model is a 2xxx, I believe it is a SECOND GENERATION
You can download CPU-Z for free, it'll give you the exact specs of your CPU. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

i7 really isn't better than an i5 for emulation. I had an i7 920 before this CPU, and now I have an i5-4670k which runs way better IMO. (At a cooler temperature too!)

One question though...... -- Why Windows XP 32-bit on such a system?? o_O You can't even utilize that 4GB RAM with that OS.
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.60~4.20 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 Super @ 6 GB | Samsung 980 1TB | Windows 10 Pro x64 (22H2)
Do you actually have problems? Don't you like that the cpu-usage is so high that you can not make video encoding at the same time or do you really experience slowdowns? If you have slowdowns and want to solve them please show us your settings.

As for graphic problems you can use the software renderer (F9) as well. But as Blyss said Dx10/11 seems to be superior to Dx9 comparing accuracy of output.
(09-13-2014, 10:49 PM)Tegardee Wrote: with a i5 4.32 ghz and a gtx 760ti still the drop fps? then need than the "MINIMUM"? an i7 4.32 ghz and a gtx titan z? this is the minimum? because with an i5 and a gtx 760ti, still a drop fps

about what would be my i5, his model is a 2xxx, I believe it is a SECOND GENERATION

No, but a second generation i5 could have slowdowns in some of the insanely demanding games.

PCSX2 is not however GPU heavy, a 760ti is way more than enough.
I still use windows xp, because my CD/DVD stopped working, and I need to get to be able to format for Windows 7, my friend told me that Windows 7 uses DirectX 11, and has access to GSdx10 which fixes the graphics and is less cumbersome than the GSdx9... this is true?

about CCleaner, I will make an attempt this method, thanks for the tips.
(09-13-2014, 11:04 PM)Tegardee Wrote: I still use windows xp, because my CD/DVD stopped working, and I need to get to be able to format for Windows 7, my friend told me that Windows 7 uses DirectX 11, and has access to GSdx10 which fixes the graphics and is less cumbersome than the GSdx9... this is true?

Yes.

Also you can install windows 7 without a CDVD drive. You can make a USB install from one of the legal ISO downloads of Windows 7, and use your product key with it.