Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pcsx2 with AMD Card
Hi all,
I am going to buy a hd 7870 in the next several days, and i wonder if it is a good choice for pcsx2 or Nvidia Geforce card?

Thanks all!
PC Specs:
MB: Asus P8Z77 M-Pro
CPU: I7 3770K @4.4Ghz
VGA: Intel HD 4000
Ram: 2x4Gb Corsair 1600 C9
Screen: Asus ML248H

Sponsored links

You shouldn't have any problems, as I have no problems with mine.
The 9600 is really outdated by now and the new card will help a lot (mainly in graphics demanding PC games).

But PCSX2 is very much CPU bound and in this particular case the CPU there will be the main bottleneck. You will see some gain and be able to be a tad bolder with the internal resolution, but hardly will see much of FPS gain.

That said, the video card upgrade is not bad idea overall.
Imagination is where we are truly real
This should be in the Off Topic Section because you don't need any support for PCSX2
Lost in the Vastness of Mugen.
(11-07-2012, 02:23 PM)harsh60 Wrote: This should be in the Off Topic Section because you don't need any support for PCSX2

It seemed fit to general discussion and support. He is thinking a hardware upgrade and asking how it could affect the overall performance, or so I understood.

Still, is right you should post in the hardware discussion forum to get "expert" opinions on which is better: Nvidia or AMD/ATI, I myself use Nvidia but would not stick a finger in that issue, both perform well at same range and have different advantages/weaknesses.
Imagination is where we are truly real
(11-07-2012, 02:15 PM)nosisab Ken Keleh Wrote: The 9600 is really outdated by now and the new card will help a lot (mainly in graphics demanding PC games).

But PCSX2 is very much CPU bound and in this particular case the CPU there will be the main bottleneck. You will see some gain and be able to be a tad bolder with the internal resolution, but hardly will see much of FPS gain.

That said, the video card upgrade is not bad idea overall.

Oh, my bad. See the updated signature. And thank you!
PC Specs:
MB: Asus P8Z77 M-Pro
CPU: I7 3770K @4.4Ghz
VGA: Intel HD 4000
Ram: 2x4Gb Corsair 1600 C9
Screen: Asus ML248H
(11-07-2012, 01:44 PM)phikhanh Wrote: Hi all,
I am going to buy a hd 7870 in the next several days, and i wonder if it is a good choice for pcsx2 or Nvidia Geforce card?

Thanks all!

I have the same card. No problems, but keep in mind that there are a few games (like ATV Off Road Fury 3, Hot Shot Tennis or Pro Race Driver) that will still drop some frames at 3x internal resolution, even if you have a very fast CPU.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i7 2600K@3.40, P8P67, ASUS HD7870 CUII, 8GB 1600 GSkill, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Xenosaga 3 wasnt amd radeon gpu friendly...
theres issues on menus cause pcsx2 is more nvidia friendly, also ps2 gpu native hardware was nividia too.

So if you want full performance for this game at least you going to need Nvidia,
if you want more details check xenosaga 3 compatiblity topic around the forum.
Overall, though, it just affects the resolution scaling. FPS will be mostly limited by your CPU, so you should be ok overall.
the more dedicated memory your graphics card has the better. buy a card with high ram