Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
pcsx3
when will developers begin working on ps3 emulator or support for ps3 games for pcsx2, like dolphin (it started as gamecube emu but now run wii as well). With top of the line hardware pcsx3 development should be possible, i7 cpus and latest ati and nvidia gpus are superior to ps3 hardware, so hardware is no longer an excuse.
Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LE
CPU: Intel i7 920 C0 @ 4.2 Ghz 1.36v Cogage Arrow
Ram: 3x2GB OCZ Gold 1690 9-9-8-24 1.65v
GPU: MSI GTX580 Lightning @ 970/2200 1.09v+MSI GTX460 Hawk PhysX
HDD: Corsair Force GT 120, 2x F4 320GB Raid 0,F4 2TB, WD-G 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX850 80 PLUS SILVER Modular
Case: Antec 1200 EVGA Mod

Sponsored links

Right... PS2 emulation isn't perfect yet that even a top-end stock Core i7 isn't fast enough and you're suggesting working on the PS3's vastly more complicated Cell processor. The Wii was easy because it's basically an overclocked GameCube.

By the way, I believe one of the devs have mentioned PCSX2 is only emulating the EE at 240 MHz. I think actual speed of the hardware is 300 MHz.
Quote: i7 cpus and latest ati and nvidia gpus are superior to ps3 hardware, so hardware is no longer an excuse

do you have any idea of what emulation is ?
most of the time it requires hardware about 10x more powerful than the original one.
in case of the Wii/gamecube, emulation is far easier because Nintendo provided his console with a GPU very similar to the ones we use for our PCs
CPU : I7 2600K Oc'ed @ 4.2Ghz
Mobo : Intel P67 southbridge
GPU : NVIDIA Geforce GTX 750 Ti
RAM : 6 Go
(11-24-2010, 03:01 AM)ilovejedd Wrote: Right... PS2 emulation isn't perfect yet that even a top-end stock Core i7 isn't fast enough

well if pcsx2 used all 4 cores the i7 would be fast enough and would probably run every ps2 game at full speed, but again its the emulator not being perfect yet and not hardware, and i dont know much about consule cpus what is the difference between ps3 cpu and pc cpu can someone who know explain? i mean there both cpu, the both process data how different can they be when it comes to running programs/games.
Just because it would be possible to run pcsx2 on more than 2 cores doesnt necessarily mean it would give a big speed increase. There are only so many tasks that can be done in parallel. Lets say the VU unit needs some information from the EE and absolutely cannot continue unless that data is already processed. Assuming 4 cores and the VU and EE on seperate cores that just means the VU will have to stall until the EE is ready.

Multi-core and piplineing does no good if you have to do a lot of stalling to wait for the proper data to continue. If I remember correctly the pcsx2 devs have already said that 2 cores is plenty for pcsx2 and additional cores will not provide a noticeable speed boost. Or if there would be a little speed boost the amount would not be worth the complete code rewrite.
(11-24-2010, 03:28 AM)vdgamer Wrote: well if pcsx2 used all 4 cores the i7 would be fast enough and would probably run every ps2 game at full speed, but again its the emulator not being perfect yet and not hardware, and i dont know much about consule cpus what is the difference between ps3 cpu and pc cpu can someone who know explain? i mean there both cpu, the both process data how different can they be when it comes to running programs/games.

NOOOOOO. Just no. No. To answer your question. Everything, besides the fact that both are called CPUs.

More in depth answer: The 8 Excl SPEs in the ps3 are clocked at 3.2ghz, and are optimized for parallel execution. Emulating parallel execution is by no means easy (read: impossible to make 100% accurate for the most part). Your dinky i7 isnt clocked at 3.2 ghz, doesn't have 8 cores, and cant move data between the cores at, iirc, in the 100s of GBs per second. Even if it did, that sucks. Sticking to the 10x as powerful rule, well, you do the math.

So no, your dinky i7 will never be able to emulate the beast. I mean ps3. There's another thread here the devs partook in stating all the more reasons that it will never happen on modern hardware. Read that, though its highly technical. Also, no one wants to take the time to reverse engineer the WHOLE ENTIRE PS3 OPERATING SYSTEM in order to ACTUALLY MAKE AN EMULATOR. That would take years of labor. Plus, making emulators is difficult. Now, before you ask more stupid questions, research the topic. Please.
Yeah guys... let's shut down the idea and not prepare... Jeez. It would be nice when we've already got the hardware to already have at least a BASE LINE for ps3 emulation. Obviously current PC's couldn't run it very well but in 2 years I wouldn't be surprised. Ivy Bridge will be out in 2013 and probably a whole new line of graphics cards... if you think we'll never be able to run PS3 games on an emulator I think you're a bit misguided =p

I'd put money on hardware being powerful enough to run PS3 (maybe not full speed but equivalent to how we run PS2) by 2014, 2015 at the latest.

Ivy Bridge will move us into 4 core standard, and 16 core processors will likely be out by that time (32 threads). New instruction sets, larger cache siezes, higher clock speeds, at least 40x current IGP speed... and that's all just Ivy. Imagine what will be out 2-3 years after Ivy?

Think about how long it's taken us just to get PCSX2 where it is. It would be nice to get a head start instead of just saying "no point trying."
i5 520m :: ATI 5650 (700, 900) :: Samsun 830 128GB SSD:: 8GB (2x4GB) RAM
(11-24-2010, 02:48 AM)vdgamer Wrote: when will developers begin working on ps3 emulator or support for ps3 games for pcsx2, like dolphin (it started as gamecube emu but now run wii as well).

The Wii is essentially an overclocked Gamecube. From a purely technical standpoint, it is roughly equivalent to the PS2 in raw computational power and memory/DMA bandwidth. It has a much better GPU than the PS2, and more main memory (RAM) -- those things are what allow it to have much higher resolution (hi-def) graphics than the PS2 and Gamecube. But from an emulation standpoint, the Wii doesn't need much more PC power to emulate than the PS2 does. (PCs have abundances of RAM and texture memory, but are limited in raw clock speeds and memory/dma bandwidth)

The PS3 is on a completely different plane of existence. It has like 40-60x times the raw computational power and memory bandwidth of the PS2. Because its parallel programming design, however, the "real" throughput ends up being about 1/2th that, in general. So 10-30x more powerful than a PS2, depending on the tasks being performed. (some tasks scale well to 8 cores, others don't scale at all).

Since synchronizing parallel CPUs is one of the most difficult things for an emulator to do, the parallel design of the PS3 is especially painful to emulate on your PC. Worse, an emulator is stuck trying to emulate that 40-60x worth of computational power, for the reward of an end result that's only 10-30x more powerful than its predecessor. So a working PS3 emulator, should one ever exist, will produce diminishing results compared to, say, PCSX2 emulating a PS2.
Jake Stine (Air) - Programmer - PCSX2 Dev Team
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-PCSX3--15...ight=pcsx3
people keep saying that ps3 emulator will never exist or if it will it will take like 10-15 years, for hardware to catchup and to reverse engineer ps3 into emulator, but everyone seems to forget that just 20-25 years ago there basically was no computers at all, it was just a beginning of pc's, and look how far technology advanced in just 20 years or so, and it keeps progressing faster and faster so i am positive that in 5 years from now technology will be there, its all up to developers, if there willing to put in the work it can be done.