performance on AGP Cards
Hi,
Gif transfers on agp card with ati rialto bridge are too slow ...
In software mode the situation is better ..
No gif data compression?
I used as the bench the first boss of metal slug 6. the train with feet.

my spec
intel core [email protected] 58gflops 32bit
2gb dualchannel ddr1@480mhz read at 6900mb/s write at 6200mb/s copy at 6300mb/s
agp 4650 1gb ddr2 read at 250mb/s write at 75mb/s on agp bus copy at 4720mb/s

Sponsored links

AGP cards ?
It still exists ?
CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
Mobo : Asus PRIME B450-PLUS
GPU : NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
RAM : 16 Go
Whew my last AGP card was a GeForce 4 MX; it's a long obsolete standard.

Further research shows that OP's card is an DX 10.1 XFX model from '09. Didn't think they'd still be making AGP stuff then.

I don't think OP will be seeing any usable performance from this card. Considering it's age, it probably performs worse than modern integrated Intel graphics.
(07-12-2017, 11:59 AM)CK1 Wrote: Whew my last AGP card was a GeForce 4 MX; it's a long obsolete standard.

Further research shows that OP's card is an DX 10.1 XFX model from '09. Didn't think they'd still be making AGP stuff then.

I don't think OP will be seeing any usable performance from this card. Considering it's age, it probably performs worse than modern integrated Intel graphics.
The bottle neck seems to be just the data transfer on the agp bus due to the rialto bridge.
Perhaps using a LZ4 compression on GIF bus data
You could get a great improvement in performance.
(07-12-2017, 12:13 PM)Nerb Wrote: The bottle neck seems to be just the data transfer on the agp bus due to the rialto bridge.
Perhaps using a LZ4 compression on GIF bus data
You could get a great improvement in performance.
This could be true in the fery few cases where the gpu power is the limiting factor of global performance.
I'll leave this to gregory and move this to the plugins section
(07-12-2017, 01:22 PM)jesalvein Wrote: This could be true in the fery few cases where the gpu power is the limiting factor of global performance.
I'll leave this to gregory and move this to the plugins section

thank you
8 bits texture will compress the texture. You can do further compression but it won't make your PC faster. It will kill your CPU which will kill the emulation.

The only solution is to upgrade your PC.
(07-12-2017, 02:34 PM)gregory Wrote: 8 bits texture will compress the texture. You can do further compression but it won't make your PC faster. It will kill your CPU which will kill the emulation.

The only solution is to upgrade your PC.
The cpu is ok .. slowdown is not caused by the cpu
In software mode there is no slowdown.
The problem is caused by the agp bus bandwidth and rialto bridge
Is comparable to a 1x pciex
then, you can try to modify gsdx to add that feature.
It's an open source project after all Wink
(07-12-2017, 06:14 PM)Nerb Wrote: The cpu is ok .. slowdown is not caused by the cpu
In software mode there is no slowdown.
The problem is caused by the agp bus bandwidth and rialto bridge
Is comparable to a 1x pciex

Yes but your main memory is slow too. And normally game compress texture before the release, and main goal is to reduce load on the VRAM not  to reduce VRAM requirement. Here you want to compress texture on the fly, the cost won't be the same. PS2 texture are small, and most of them only use 8 bits by color (with a palette). Besides you also need to send vertices data and others stuff.

AGP & DDR1 are antiquity.